Whom do you like better?

Will
35%
Lyra
65%

Total votes : 81

Do you like Will or Lyra more?

Postby fishum » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:15 pm

I am genually interested in finding out who people like more between Will and Lyra.
The purpose of life is to end!
fishum
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mr Anderson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Difficult choice, but I felt Will's character was slightly more engaging and unpredictable. No hard feelings Lyra.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Undestined » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:59 am

I also think that Will often gets the short-end of the stick. He's a fascinating person, but Lyra gets all the attention. Will is reduced to Lyra's love interest/ transportation. Plus, I find it odd that Lyra is Eve, but Will isn't Adam, he's just the knife bearer, and he loses that distinction at the end of TAS.
(The Sraffie Formerly Known as Zodiac)
Undestined
Armoured Bear

Postby Angel to follow » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:19 am

The options are a bit limited, there should be one for indifference.

I just can't choose.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Jez » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:23 am

Ah, I can't decide, I love them both! They're both well-written characters. If I met them in person, I think I'd like Will more though. He has a very strong sense of morality. Whereas Lyra is a deceitful brat. :P They both learn from each other and become better people after they've known each other. They're strongest when they're together, so I can't pick just one character out!
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:36 am

I don't know...I prefer Lyra, but I identify with Will more...Lyra has a more positive attitude, and trusts people, and trusts herself more. But I guess Will's introverted personality is related to the horrible experiences of his childhood. He had to be an adult, whereas Lyra was able to fully enjoy being a child
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Who was Adam if he wasn't Will? I thought it made perfect sense that Will was Adam.

I go with Lyra, because I have to say I don't particularly like Will. Fascinating and strange he may be, but for me he's not the sort of person you are supposed to like.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm

moonflash wrote:I go with Lyra, because I have to say I don't particularly like Will. Fascinating and strange he may be, but for me he's not the sort of person you are supposed to like.

Why not?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Mr Anderson » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Who you are is how you lived your life to that point. Will is who he is because his life has been hard, there is no supposed to be.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby jessia » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:42 pm

i like will's character better, in that i felt it was written with more consistency than lyra's.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:43 am

what do you mean, consistency? Do you mean that Lyra changes throughout the series? Isn't that what growing up is all about? She certainly becomes nicer...but also more civilised, which isn't so great...
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Calix » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:02 am

Will all the way.

I'm predisposed to liking male characters better, and though I usually can identify with female characters best, I just didn't feel that with Lyra. She sometimes came off as a bit of a brat to me, though I did like her by the ending. Will was just more to my taste.
Calix
Witch

Postby lu4020 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:16 pm

I prefer lyra because in the books you enter on her mind and you finally understand her.
lu4020
Grazer

Postby KittyKat » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Lyra reminds me of me. that's why i'm one of the ONLY 7 who picked her.....come on Lyras!
Jellybaby?

Now I'm through my hyperactive kid stage, and into moody teenager stage of evolution. ~*iguana*~ off!

The topic or post you requested does not exist

I can't get the piccie in, but I am Post Whore Sraffie '07.
Honest.

If you see a leaf blow past you in the wind...
it's the metaphor for my sanity and I lost it again. Please call 0800 - 555 - 666 to claim your 10p reward.
KittyKat
Angel

Location: Where troubles melt like lemon drops (that's where you'll find me on weekends)

Postby Diolmhain » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:09 pm

Make it eight.

Really thoug i love em both.
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Jamie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Lyra. Will's a right ~*Orcadian Village*~

:P
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby heatheradair » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:18 pm

Jamie wrote:Lyra. Will's a right ~*Koala*~

:P

you just want to get in her pants, don't you, jamie? :wink:
lexically.etsy.com

"Here's a golden Rule to begin with. Write legibly. The average temper of the human race would be perceptibly sweetened, if everybody obeyed this rule! A great deal of the bad writing in the world comes simply from writing too quickly. Of course you reply, 'I do it to save time.' A very good object, no doubt: but what right have you to do it at your friend's expense? Isn't his time as valuable as yours?" -Lewis Carroll
heatheradair
Text Twist Ninja

Postby bethanwy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:18 pm

Why try to get into Lyra's pants when he already has a key to Ians'?
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby heatheradair » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:31 am

siren_darkstarr wrote:Why try to get into Lyra's pants when he already has a key to Ians'?

a key? what, does ina wear a chastity belt or something?

p.s. i like will better.
lexically.etsy.com

"Here's a golden Rule to begin with. Write legibly. The average temper of the human race would be perceptibly sweetened, if everybody obeyed this rule! A great deal of the bad writing in the world comes simply from writing too quickly. Of course you reply, 'I do it to save time.' A very good object, no doubt: but what right have you to do it at your friend's expense? Isn't his time as valuable as yours?" -Lewis Carroll
heatheradair
Text Twist Ninja

Postby Slizer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:08 am

:P why dont you just continue irc-conversations here! then add few words for the topic! That would be like _cool_ btw Will
Slizer
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk