The Republic of Heaven

daemons questionnaire

Discuss general topics related to the series

daemons questionnaire

Postby ega05asw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi, as part of my course I need to cavass opinions on daemons. I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the following questions:
1) What is a daemon in your opinion?
2) Why do you think children's daemons change and adults don't?
3) Why do you think the bears do not have daemons?
4) Do you think that people have a choice on the shape the daemons take when they’re adults?
5) Does it matter what shape your daemon takes?
6) How much control do characters have over their daemon's behaviour?
7) How much influence does your daemon have over you?
8) What does having a golden monkey for a daemon say about Mrs. Coulter?
Thanks! xxx
ega05asw
Grazer

Re: daemons questionnaire

Postby Mr Anderson » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:17 pm

ega05asw wrote:Hi, as part of my course I need to cavass opinions on daemons. I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the following questions:
4) Do you think that people have a choice on the shape the daemons take when they’re adults?
Thanks! xxx

1) Your soul.
2) Because a child is yet to choose his or her path in life.
3) I think that they do, but they are on the inside. If they don't it would seem to contradict a few themes in the book, like all conscious free thinking beings having daemons.
4) They have influence, but do not make the ultimate decision.
5) Yes and No, read the part in NL where Lyra hears the story of the man with the Dolphin daemon.
6) Humans cannot mentally control their daemons.
7) As much as your conscience.
8.) The Golden aspect is reflective of her beauty, but the monkey side I am less sure about.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby ega05asw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:23 pm

yay thanks very much, i dont suppose people could state if they are under the age of 16 on their answers just so we can differentiate responses thanks so much
ega05asw
Grazer

Postby Aimee » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Isn't this braking the 11th commandament? :wink:
Ahh well I'll do it
Hi, as part of my course I need to cavass opinions on daemons. I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the following questions:
What does having a golden monkey for a daemon say about Mrs. Coulter?
Thanks! xxx

1) a daemon is your inner self or your soul.
2)Children are innocent and not fully aware of their feeling and their personality. As thry grow they learn.
3) They cannot feel emotion. They do not know what Love, hate and anger is. (well most of them don't)
4)The choice is made by their personality. Inside they truly know what their daemons are.
5)No. It just shows who you truly are.
6)They have control as it is they're own behavior. Your daemon would not do anything you didn't want it to do because you are your daemon.
7)Your daemon voices all the doubt you have. It also gives you all the self confidence we have. Personally I think we would all be better off if we had daemons.
8) She is Elegant and appearance is everything for her. She can get her way out of things easily and always has to have the last word.

I'm under 16
The worlds a mess. And I just need to rule it.
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby missmolly » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:29 pm

The embodiment of a person's soul.
Because children are innocent. Not only because they have yet to choose their path in life, but because they are not yet fully developed as an individual. Because they are not yet fully conscious of themselves and their world.
Because they're animals, not just humans in the shapes of bears.
No. I think your daemon reveals your true self, which is something that you ultimately cannot change. The sailor mentions this to Lyra in NL/TGC, when he says that there are a lot of people who'd like to have a lion as a daemon and end up with a poodle.
Does it matter to whom? To the person themselves - as Lyra tells Will, it helps them to understand themselves better and to determine what path in life would be best for them. To others, I'm sure it has a lot to do with first impressions and could contribute quite a bit to the way people in Lyra's world form opinions on one another.
It probably depends on how strong their will power is, and I see it as just depending on how much self control any given person has the ability to command. Your daemon is you, so your control over it would depend on how much self restraint you have.
Same as above, I would guess.
That she's incredibly clever, quick and intelligent, that she has, as Metatron later says "a vicious, probing curiosity," and that she is extremely determined and tenacious. His golden-ness sets him apart from others by giving him elegance and beauty, so much so that when another monkey daemon sees him he cowers (in Lord Asriel's fortress, TAS) and Mrs. Coulter seems to have the same effect on other people. I think an even more interesting question would be that of his lack of a name :)

I'm 18.
missmolly
Gyptian

AOL: mllementeuse

Postby portent » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:27 pm

1. The shape Dæmon is a physical manifestation of a person's subconscious, but the voice of the dæmon is that of a person's intuitive mind. So yeah, it's a soul, I guess.
2. A child's mind lacks the discipline and consistency of an adult, so the form of a child's dæmon is unstable.
3. Bears are straightforward. They do not need a talking, animate counterpart to survive, their only need other than themselves is their armor.
4. No. A dæmon's shape is determined by a person's nature and experiences.
5. Only in what it suggests about the person.
6. Sometimes they have as much control over a dæmon as over their hands. Other times, they have only as much control as they would over their dreams.
7. It doesn't work that way; your dæmon can't influence you any more than your tongue or hair could.
8. Something about being agile-minded, I think.

And I'm a good bit older than 16.
"The wave function of this situation is going to collapse quite soon."

Portent Informatics, Atlanta, GA. Posted in USA using imported electrons.
portent
Grazer

Postby jessia » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:47 am

Aimee wrote:Isn't this braking the 11th commandament? :wink:

*breaking

and this help request was very well put. the user ega05asw is not asking us to do his/her homework at all.

i'm older than 16.

1. the physical manifestation of your soul
2. the way daemons change to imitate other forms, children's souls and minds and character are still very malleable. unfortunately this "rule" does not allow for the malleability of adolescents and adults.
3. the bears claim themselves that they don't have the same sort of human-soul or that their armour is sufficient. i think their souls just manifest internally the way humans in our world might. their armour also shows the community they have as a species/race/thinger where humans in the l-world share in their external daemons.
4. no. they just are.
5. it reflects the way you're perceived by your peers and if you're at all sensitive to that (most are), then of course it matters.
6. enough?
7. equal... but it is you.
8. gold says something about the power she commands i think. i don't know what a simian form says.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Riali » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 am

Sure, I'll play...

A manifestation of your soul, spirit, conscience (pick a term, any term, they all mean pretty much the same.)

A child's character and personality is still developing. Their spirit is still volatile and malleable. As we mature, we do not stop growing and changing exactly, but we acquire character traits and values that are fairly deeply rooted. The settled daemon is a statement of these core characteristics.

I think the bear's souls are internalized, like the people in our world.

Im not fatalistic, So i believe we have a good bit of choice about what character traits and values we want to acquire, although of course there are environmental forces as well. So as the form of a settled daemon is a reflection of these traits, there is some choice going on as to its form. i dont mean to say a person can decide "i want my daemon to be a tiger", but a person who values strength and solitude, for example, is going to be much more likely to get a tiger daemon in the end.

Certainly, just as it matters what you value and strive for. There is no heirarchy of daemons, one is not better than another, but equal is not the same as alike. The form of your daemon affects your whole life. It does not define you as good or bad, better or worse, but it defines who you are.

There is no need for control. A daemon and a person are the same being, so everything your daemon does is an aspect of what you are doing. its like your sub-conscious, or your dreams. They are entirely a product of your self, even if you cant always see it.

As with above, your daemon is you. So influence is rather a moot point. If your daemon is thinking or saying something, it is like your conscience or subconscious saying it.

8 ) What does having a golden monkey for a daemon say about Mrs. Coulter?
I think the main things it represents are vanity, intelligence, and manipulativeness.

I'm over 16.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Somewhat » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am

1) A daemon is the metaphysical manifestation of a human's soul.
2) Children have not made their choices in life yet, their souls are free.
3) The Panserbjorne do not have souls and so cannot have daemons - although their armour serves as their soul.
4) Of course, since it is your choices in life that shape who you are and therefore who your daemon is.
5) The daemon is who you are, so if it matters to you what others think of you and what you think of yourself, then yes, it does matter what your daemon looks like.
6) Only as much control as they have over their deepest emotions - Asriel could control Stelmaria to not betray his feelings very well.
7) Only as much control as your deepest emotions have over you.
8) Mrs Coulter is beautiful and vicious, just like the golden monkey.

I'm 15.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Kit's Ryu » Tue May 08, 2007 5:25 am

A dæmon is a guide/protector that is part of your subconscious and soul. (I can say more but I don’t feel like it. *is lazy*)

A child’s personality is easily influenced and it changes constantly. When we reach adults our personality is concrete and harder to be influenced.

Everything has a spirit or soul in my opinion. With humans it takes the form of a dæmon. With animals its something you can’t see, but its still there.

A choice? No, not really. You can try to be like the animal you want your dæmon to settle as but it still won’t settle as it because it’s all an act. Your dæmon settles as the animal that represents you, you can’t just be like; “I want you to settle as a wolf, no exceptions.” It doesn’t work that way.

Yes in the way that it shows the real you. Anyother reason then no.

You can have as much contol over your dæmon as you have of yoursef. But othertimes its like a dream, no control at all.

It depends on the person. They can have a lot or a little.

Hm…Well, I suppose for the books purpose it could mean she’s...
-Intelligent
-beautiful
-her looks are deceiving
-Knows how to manipulate people (Got to love those opposable thumbs XD Get it? Monkeys have thumbs so they can handle things? Thumbs=Manipulative)
- Holds many secrets. (I got this from the fact that they never say what kind of monkey her dæmon was. Many mysteries yes?)

I suck at analyses so I probably missed a lot of stuff.
My daemon told me to. No really he did.
Kit's Ryu
Grazer

Postby bethanwy » Tue May 08, 2007 4:25 pm

ega05asw wrote:1) What is a daemon in your opinion?

1) A physical embodiment of your soul.
2) Because children can choose their life's path.
3) They either have one inside, or an invisible one, like Will's and Mary's.
4) No.
5) It just shows who you really are inside.
6) It depends.
7) As much as your conscience would.
8) The golden is for her beauty, but the monkey.. Possibly being crafty and manipulative?
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby AUST » Tue May 08, 2007 5:01 pm

1) Its your soul, see the quote from Blake (I think)
2) Because Children have not developed and there final personality has not yet developed.
3) Because there animals
4) No. Its your character
5) Not really. It just reflects you.
6) Very little-the daemon is part of them, so they are one and the same
7) See above.
8. Well it reflects her personality, sleek, clever, beautiful, maltipulative.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby rats_rox » Tue May 08, 2007 6:05 pm

ega05asw wrote:Hi, as part of my course I need to cavass opinions on daemons. I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the following questions:
Thanks! xxx

1. A daemon is a physical representation of a persons soul, and may reflect some asspects of a persons soul, which are not shown by the person that often. (I hope the makes sense :wink: )
2.Children's daemons change because their wants, needs, aspirations and personality are constantly changing and developing. The daemon can not yet be sure of the personality, and therefore is able to change.
3. They don't not have daemons, they are just hidden on the inside, so that they are less vulnerable. The bears are constantly fighting among themselves, so if they had a daemon that their opponent could also attack, then they would be easier to kill. Also, animals are animals, and therefore cannot have a daemon in animal form, as it wouldn't really work in my mind, and a human would be illogical as they are not as hardy, and cannot survive in the climate as easily, or travel as fast.
4. To tell the truth, I don't think that even the actual daemon has much influence, as at some point in one book Lyra asks Pan which form he thinks he will take, and he replies that he doesn't know but says what he would LIKE to be. This gives me the immpression that some greater power (such as dust) just comes along and just tells them when the time is right.
5. No, but if people knew how to read daemons, then they might be able to find out your weak and your bad points, as you innermost soul is shown in that form.
6. I don't think that humans have much control, because in NL Lyra doesn't want to see Iorek when she first meets him, but Pan insists and starts pulling at the connection between them. This shows that, despite Lyra not wanting him to, Pan did what he wanted. However, humans have control of where their daemon can go, as daemons can only move a certain distance from their human.
7.Well I suppose it could be like having that guilty little voice in you head, but in a real form, at times. :twisted:
8. It shows that she is beautiful, but not nice. Also it shows she can get out of sticky situations, and is intelligant, as monkeys are the animals most similar to humans.

Sorry it's so long! I just have a lot of opinions. I am an opinionated, slightly insane, weird, HDM obbsessed 14 year old :D .
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby taft » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:53 am

1) What is a daemon in your opinion? A dæmon is a physical manifestation of a person’s subconscious personality or soul. Made of conscious particles it takes the form of an animal in which possesses similar characteristics to the person whose inner self it is representing. A dæmon is part of a humans soul that also acts as a conscience, helping them to discover what they believe to be the morally right decision and also helping them by acting as the devils advocate.
Children are still learning and growing. They have not reached a point in their development where they have stopped being influenced by those around them, or become morally mature enough to know their true standings on hard decisions that need to be made in life. They have not experienced enough emotions in their short life to feel all there is to truly feel and to find their true place in the universe. The fact that the noun Dæmon is pronounced as demon it may also be that children bear a lot of innocence and have not faced many, if any of life’s “demons”.
Although in Lyra’s world bears do seem similar to humans they do not value the same things as humans or share the same spiritual make up. I believe that these different spirits or souls do not attract dust in the same way and therefore do not create the manifestations of soul that are seen as dæmons.
Although when their dæmon settles they do not have a decision, the decisions and moral maturity they have developed through their childhood does overall give them a decision. But this decision is not straightforward and reflects your inner self so… to truly have the decision you would need to live your whole life in a certain way, which children would not understand.
While it may not matter, it reflects your inner soul so it obviously gives those around you an opportunity to see into you without you being able to hide anything. So in a way it does matter.
Well it is you so its actions must be your inner actions, whether as an individual you would have acted on what you felt like doing is different. You must have some say but overall it is your dæmons decision to do what they want.
As said earlier it is your conscience and your soul so you don’t want to be angry with it, or have a large disagreement so you most probably would agree with it and it would have a large influence over you.
8)What does having a golden monkey for a daemon say about Mrs. Coulter?
This says many things including that she is-
Pretty, wealthy or precious, conniving, cheeky, intelligent, believes that she is superior even though there are people more dominant than her, needs company of family or those similar to her, cherished, Abundant, wise, understanding and has high ideals.

I am under 16
taft
Grazer

Postby Huginn » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:39 pm

If ega05asw is still reading this questionnaire thread months after the last response, taft, I'm sure they found your response helpful. If not...well then.

At any rate, if you would like to use bbcode (for example, the [b] tags), make sure you uncheck "disable BBCode in this post" when you compose your replies. I've taking the liberty of doing so for your post here already.
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby SoulLily » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:00 am

1) The physical manifestation of your soul
2) Many reasons... Innocence, indecision and immaturity among others.
3) Perhaps because they are animals themselves, it would be like a human having a human daemon. I'd say they still have souls, just not physically represented ones.
4) No, I think it just happens based on your experiences and your personality.
5) Not really. Well, unless you get something that lives in water and keeps you from setting foot on land.
6) Your daemon behaves based on your emotions and reactions; if you can conrtol strong feelings in front of someone, your daemon will be docile before them.
7) As much as your conscience does, maybe a little more.
8) I'm not so sure about the monkey part, but the gold would reflect her beauty and seductive nature. In the Chinese zodiac, the monkey is described as such: "Inventor, motivator, improviser, quick-witted, inquisitive, flexible, innovative, problem solver, self-assured, sociable, polite, dignified, competitive, objective, factual, intellectual. Can be egotistical, vain, selfish, cunning, jealous, suspicious." Some of it fits... I'll have to look into other symbolism regrding monkeys.
To be myself, I have to put on an act.
- Philip Pullman, The Broken Bridge

SoulLily
Gallivespian Spy

Postby nat_could_tell_u » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:10 pm

1) What is a dæmon in your opinion?
5) Does it matter what shape your dæmon takes?
6) How much control do characters have over their dæmon's behaviour?
7) How much influence does your dæmon have over you?
8) What does having a golden monkey for a dæmon say about Mrs. Coulter?
Thanks! xxx

1) A person’s soul
2) I think that adults daemons settle because they are more mature and they know themselves. Children are still exploring the world and learning new things. Although some adults aren’t mature… :D
3) Firstly, they are not humans, and also they don't die. I guess a bear could have a dæmon if they traveled to the world of the dead, but in a part of the series, Iorek told Lyra that bears ghosts don't go to the world of the dead, but stay on earth, like humans dæmons do.
4) Not at all. When the dæmon settles, it reflects the personality of that person. No one can choose there personality, so no one can choose what their dæmon settles into.
5) I doubt not. There might be some offensive forms, though, and some more polite. In TGC, it says that Pan turns into an ermine for politeness. Maybe that’s one of them…
6) I don’t think so. Maybe the dæmon only listens to their person, which makes perfect sense. Anyway, the dæmon wouldn’t anything very bad that would hurt or upset their human, because it would affect them too.
7) Pan didn’t have a big influence on Lyra in the Retiring Room in Jordan, so I expect they don’t really. But sometimes they have enough to change your mind on some things.
8) I believe that Mrs. Coulter’s monkey dæmon settled in that form because of this: even though he is beautiful on the outside and looks calm and harmless, just like her, he is evil and has no empathy toward anything, and likes seeing others suffer, like children at Bolvangar.
:)
This was fun!!

__Person__

~Name: EKAVI
~ Info: Female, Creative, Practiced Lier. Always has to have the last word.

__Daemon__
~Name: Nathanielaimon
~Info:Male, Settled as Darwin's Fox, also Creative, also Practiced Lier. Thinks before he acts.
nat_could_tell_u
Grazer

Location: somewhere in the universe, or at least in this one... with, of coarse, my daemon

Postby Pagdzin tulku » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:48 pm

A part of you, like your body or soul
Dust surrounds adults because, at the age of puberty, children are open to sinfull thoughts. Seeing as Dust is original sin, it surrounds the more vulnerable. When this happens, the childs emotions settle in a particular way. Where a child can be angry or sad at different times, an adult settles on mainly one particular mood. Thus, the daemon settles to one form.
For they are animals, and not made as the "dominant species".
Only if they put their mind on it for most of their life, although it's highly unlikely someone would do that. To do it you will have to change yourself, and that's hard....
No. If you're looking forward to a lion but end up with a poodle, you can either accept it or fret over it. Fretting over it will just prove you're a poodle-person and is a waste of emotion as nothing can be done. You might as well accept it. However, you might be a little less respected if you do get a Poodle...
It isn't needed, as the daemon is the same person. It's like your body trying tohave control over your soul.
Absolutly none, as you are already exactly like your daemon.
8. What does having a golden monkey for a dæmon say about Mrs. Coulter?
Pretty on the outside, but rough on the inside.

I know it's probaly completely wrong, but it's what i think...
Pagdzin tulku
Zalif

Postby Spirea_Yucca » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 pm

8) What does having a golden monkey for a dæmon say about Mrs. Coulter?
Thanks! xxx

1) Exactly what Philip Pullman says in the book...your soul in the shape of an animal. It's sort of like the angel on one shoulder, the devil on the other....it's a way to see and talk to you conscience.
2)Perhaps it's the same reason why adults don't like fantasy, and children do. Or perhaps it's because children are growing and developing much more than adults are.
3)I think that it was Philip Pullmans way of showing that the bears are still more primitive than the humans. That they are merciless and perhaps less emotional.
4)No I don't. You don't really have a choice about what your personality is, or you habits or likes or dislikes. Of course, you can change your personality (a little) with a strong will, and I guess that will change the ending form of you daemon (ex: as a ten year old child your daemon would end up to be a rabbit, but then you mature and your daemon ends up as a hawk)
5)Sort of the same answer as for number four. It does matter, just as your personality matters.
6)If you call it control, then I would say almost none, except for physical control (ex Mrs. Coulter gripping her daemons fur to stop him from grabbing Pan) I would say it's more of an agreement, that they decide on their actions together. It would probably hurt them if they tried to do something deeply against the other's will.
7) It has the same influence as your conscience does. It can help you find a solution, or a conclusion, but it doesn't have much physical control over you.
8)That she is sly, and agile (agile to change, not movement). Perhaps it shows that she feels less than normal humans, just like a golden monkey is different from normal monkeys.
Fantasy is the best reality
if you truly wish it to be

Grasp it while it's still in your reach!
Spirea_Yucca
Grazer

Postby nat_could_tell_u » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:52 pm

just thought of something... for question 3) Why do you think the bears do not have daemons, i was thinking... Iorek told Lyra that bears can't be tricked, only if they act like a human. maybe its got something to do with this.... :?

__Person__

~Name: EKAVI
~ Info: Female, Creative, Practiced Lier. Always has to have the last word.

__Daemon__
~Name: Nathanielaimon
~Info:Male, Settled as Darwin's Fox, also Creative, also Practiced Lier. Thinks before he acts.
nat_could_tell_u
Grazer

Location: somewhere in the universe, or at least in this one... with, of coarse, my daemon

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk