The Republic of Heaven

Things you may have missed

Discuss general topics related to the series

Things you may have missed

Postby Stelmaria7 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:07 am

I need to re read the golden compass in the next month before the movie comes out but i seem to have missed major glishes in peoples daemons. I dont thing i was reading very carefully. so can you point out some things that you noticed that other people may have missed. OR that every one noticed that i may have missed
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby bee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:21 am

Okay. Go for it!
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby aklebury » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:04 am

bee wrote:Okay. Go for it!

I think he/she wanted other people to point out things...

I'm not entirely sure which things though... so... yeah
What exactly did you want to know Stelmaria7?
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby moyeongsu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:36 pm

I'll point out something. I just started re-reading Golden Compass last night and noticed in Chapter 2: The Idea of North that there is a sentence where it talks about the scholars chasing her away from the fruit trees in the garden. Does anyone else think this could be a subtle allusion to Eve?
moyeongsu
Zalif

Postby Mogget » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:45 pm

Almost definitely. When the scholars chase her away from the tree, it makes sense that PP is alluding to the Eden myth because it is surrounded by mentions of Dust and dæmon settling and Church lectures, and might be one of the many examples of Lyra jumping the gun on one goal or another. She's a very impatient girl you know.
~(p^~p)
e^(iπ)+1=0
6*9=42
Mogget
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Things you may have missed

Postby Quantum Reality » Thu May 15, 2008 5:52 am

Apologies for gravedigging, but did the books ever make clear what would happen to Will's daemon when passing back into his own world? I've not got my copy of the Amber Spyglass to check.
Quantum Reality
Grazer

Postby MojaveByrd » Thu May 15, 2008 6:08 am

I believe that Will and Mary would be able to see their own daemons but no one else would be able to. I don't remember if it was Xaphania or Seraphina that told them that.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mockingbird » Sat May 17, 2008 3:34 pm

MojaveByrd wrote:I believe that Will and Mary would be able to see their own dæmons but no one else would be able to. I don't remember if it was Xaphania or Seraphina that told them that.

I received the impression that Will's daemon would remain material. But since he is a "witch" in many ways, according to Serafina, he would be able to separate from her and go to school and do other normal things without a cat tagging along. Happily, Kirjava doesn't have conspicuous form anyway.

I think that Serafina told Mary she would be able to see her daemon if she looked for him the right way, but he didn't actually materialize.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Re:

Postby LauraHDM » Mon May 19, 2008 10:11 am

moyeongsu wrote:I'll point out something. I just started re-reading Golden Compass last night and noticed in Chapter 2: The Idea of North that there is a sentence where it talks about the scholars chasing her away from the fruit trees in the garden. Does anyone else think this could be a subtle allusion to Eve?

That's a good one! I never thought of that! :shock:
And her soul walks beside her, an army stands behind her.
LauraHDM
Grazer

Postby shady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:31 pm

MojaveByrd wrote:I believe that Will and Mary would be able to see their own dæmons but no one else would be able to. I don't remember if it was Xaphania or Seraphina that told them that.

Everyone could see will`s daemon,but mary`s not.
Some Will Fall but i Rise Thug Or Die
Makin Choices that Determine my Future Under the Sky
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Website: http://www.TheHateUGiveLittleInfantsFucksEveryone.com

Postby Philharmonic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:06 pm

i dont know about this but i hear there is a major glitch with Ma Costa's dæmon. at some point he changes from a hawk to a dog or so im told by several people. im rereading nl now so ill check.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby L and M » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:02 pm

Philharmonic wrote:i dont know about this but i hear there is a major glitch with Ma Costa's dæmon. at some point he changes from a hawk to a dog or so im told by several people. im rereading nl now so ill check.

If it is true, the newer versions may not have that mistake, if you have them.
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby shady » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Philharmonic wrote:i dont know about this but i hear there is a major glitch with Ma Costa's dæmon. at some point he changes from a hawk to a dog or so im told by several people. im rereading nl now so ill check.

Yeah,i`ve noticed it,but i have a newer version so it is not repaired.i have reread NL week ago so i remember :P
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Stelmaria7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Her daemon doesn't change in the book but he does in the movie. He's a hawk and then when they find out about Bill he changes. I don't remember what form thought mabe thats were your geting it from? that glitch isn't in the book I read.

About Mary and Will's daemons, they take form and only Mary and Will can see them unless they show people how to. Mary's is an exception thought because she has to squint and per at him sideways to see him. Does Mary's daemon have a name?
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby shady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 am

Stelmaria7 wrote:Her dæmon doesn't change in the book but he does in the movie. He's a hawk and then when they find out about Bill he changes. I don't remember what form thought mabe thats were your geting it from? that glitch isn't in the book I read.

About Mary and Will's dæmons, they take form and only Mary and Will can see them unless they show people how to. Mary's is an exception thought because she has to squint and per at him sideways to see him. Does Mary's dæmon have a name?

Probably not,coz it isnt material but she could name it.
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Serenula » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:07 am

I noticed 2 new things on my rereading of TSK today. First of all, did anyone else notice imagery when Will and Lyra go to Sir Charles Latrom's house? It was like bee imagery, they talked about the house being the color of honey and the hallway smelling of beeswax and flowers.

Also, I just realized that they mentioned the person who created the many world's theory in our world. His name was Everett.
Serenula
Zalif

Postby kaoshoneybun » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:56 am

Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby xFaiiryTaLex » Tue May 05, 2009 7:57 pm

does anybody know if the golden monkey has a name?? I think it isn't mentioned but maybe someone read it somewhere.. ??

I really want Lyra and Will to meet again, that's why I think about any option there is for them to see each other..

one of them: hasn't Serafina Pekkala mentioned that W & L became witches in some ways, so why can't they pick up a broom (sorry I'm german so I don't know what "Wolkenkiefernzweig" is called in english) and fly through one of the windows Ruta Skadi used ?? they aren't man made and I think Serafina said something like "whitche know other ways to travel through worlds" ..
xFaiiryTaLex
Grazer

Postby kaoshoneybun » Wed May 06, 2009 7:02 am

The monkey has no name but in the radio version is called Ozymandus but Pullman didn't like it.

It is the angels not the witches who knew how to travel between worlds, with the power of imagination.

All the windows were going to be closed up by the angels, even the natural ones.

Hope that helps :)
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby MojaveByrd » Thu May 07, 2009 3:00 am

What about that big hole Asriel blew into the cosmos? Did they close that? I don't remember.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk