The Republic of Heaven

I can't believe how bad these books tore my heart up.

Discuss general topics related to the series

Re: I can't believe how bad these books tore my heart up.

Postby tyche » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:28 am

Mitch NZ wrote:
First of all, in The Subtle Knife:

"Pan, am I going to die?"
"The witches won't let you die. Nor will Lyra."
"But the spell didn't work. I keep losing blood. I can't have much left to lose. And it's bleeding again, and it won't stop. I'm frightened..."
"Lyra doesn't think you are."
"Doesn't she?"
"She thinks you're the bravest fighter she ever saw, as brave as Iorek Byrnison."
"I suppose I better try not to seem frightened, then," Will said. He was quiet for a minute or so, and then he said, "I think Lyra's braver than me. I think she's the best friend I ever had."
"She thinks that about you as well," whispered the dæmon.
Presently Will closed his eyes.
Lyra lay unmoving, but her eyes were wide open in the dark, and her heart was beating hard.

I agree. That’s probably my favourite part of the entire trilogy.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mitch NZ » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:23 am

*gulp* Just finished the book.

I was absolutely taken aback when I read the scene where they kiss for the first time in the grove and Lyra tells Will she was awake and heard him, and then they admit it was the first time they realised they loved each other.
Mitch NZ
Grazer

Postby Barney » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:32 pm

if only... wrote:They changed me

Definitely. Think I may have already written this possibly even on this thread (in which case, sorry) but after finishing AS I couldn't pick up another book for like a month, and well, the trilogy just... changed me.
I love HDM so much I did my dissertation on it
Barney
Grazer

Postby Mitch NZ » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:12 pm

I finished the Amber Spyglass about 10 hours ago and every time I think of those last few chapters I just feel sick. It's going to take me a long time before I can pick up another book, and a much longer time before I will read the trilogy again.
Mitch NZ
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Mitch NZ wrote:I finished the Amber Spyglass about 10 hours ago and every time I think of those last few chapters I just feel sick. It's going to take me a long time before I can pick up another book, and a much longer time before I will read the trilogy again.

This view of not being able to read the trilogy again for a while will probably go away, as someone who has read the first book nine times (soon to be ten) the second one around seven times and the final book about eight times. And every time i have read them as a trilogy i have felt the same pain, but the happiness i gained from reading it really outweighs the pain.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby VMLM3 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 am

Pullman is a very intense, very empathic writer. Actually I don't know... After reading HDM I decided I wanted to read more of PPs books, so I read the Sally Lockheart trilogy but it just didn't hook me in the same way. The HDM books have an amazing capacity to make you feel emotionally connected to the characters..

I didn't cry while reading the books, but you can just feel some things.. like the terror and the despair when Lyra and Pan are going to be cut apart, the relief when it didn't happen, the boy holding the dead fish for dear life calling for his daemon... Or when Lee dies, or when Lyra has to leave Pan at the far shore of the lands of the dead.
These books are full of very powerfully emotional scenes.
VMLM3
Zalif

Postby tyche » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:53 pm

I think I love TAS simply because it’s so emotional. If I’m going to be completely objective Northern Lights is probably the best written/structured book but TAS made me cry like a ridiculous baby. Which means that I can overlook its faults. So uhh.. that’s cool.

Parts of HDM that I cried in (spoilers for the series obviously):
Lee’s death
Lyra leaving Pan at the World of the Dead
Mrs Coulter and Lord Asriels death
Lyra and Will separating

I should read HDM again but I don’t know if I can deal with the Drama.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby shady » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:42 am

I like more NL than TAS,coz i like the idea of north(not that TAS was bad,i was stunned couple of weeks after reading it,but i like more story about lyra travelling with gyptians and Iorek to save kids from Bolvangar,TAS had more of a ethnical question,about god and a great war).
Some Will Fall but i Rise Thug Or Die
Makin Choices that Determine my Future Under the Sky
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Website: http://www.TheHateUGiveLittleInfantsFucksEveryone.com

Postby Australis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:58 am

Something I've never heard PP asked in an interview, is whether or not he was taken by surprise at the strong emotions these books bring out in many readers. Was he writing to this end, or did it "just happen"? For those who allow themselves to be drawn deeply into the stories, it can be an exquisite pain. Especially after the first reading, when we know what's coming, but put ourselves through it anyway.

Of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of books I've read since I firat picked up a Paul Galico novel years ago, only TAS has had a big enough impact to change me. I never thought a book would do that.
Australis
Zalif

Postby Zero » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Australis wrote:Of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of books I've read since I firat picked up a Paul Galico novel years ago, only TAS has had a big enough impact to change me. I never thought a book would do that.

The question must be asked - which Paul Gallico?

(and thanks for the reminder, I will go and add some PG books to my goodreads list!)
Zero
Gyptian

Postby MojaveByrd » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:07 am

Australis: I would hardly attempt to speak for PP about the emotional response of his readers, but I don't know if you can "force" that kind of emotional response. I'd think if you do it would be artificial. IMO the intensity of the characters and story naturally led to such strong feelings. It would be interesting to hear his response to this question.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Australis » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:42 am

Maybe I'm giving my age away here Zero - the Paul Gallico (two l's, thank you) was Thomasina (set in Scotland, with a cat central to the story). Disney made a movie about the time I read it, but I can't remember anything of that. The book was the first full-length novel I read, and it was quite an involving story.

MojaveByrd, I cut out some of what I'd written last night before submitting, but essentially it was - you can have things like Mills and Boon or "Sleepless in Seattle" that can wring out emotion in a fairly manipulative way, then you have a creation like HDM. As you say, the intensity of the story and characters naturally leads to deep involvement with many, if not most, readers. I would still like to know if he had any idea of what he was starting when he wrote it, though.
Australis
Zalif

Postby MojaveByrd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:13 am

Me too.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby LadyHawke » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Me three!

But then again, PP ranks as my third pic of people I would LOVE to have to dinner, past and present. What I wuddn't give to pick his brain....
_./'\._¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤**'
*•. . •*** LadyHawke **`
/.•*•.\ ¸..•¤**¤•., .•¤**¤•*

If you're goin thru hell, the LAST thing you wanna do is stop.....

ImageMy daemon, Ayden.
LadyHawke
Armoured Bear

Postby Garfed » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 am

I find it strange, because I was the end of TAS basic necessities such a blow for me. At least I found this forum, I now know I'm not the only one...
Garfed
Grazer

Postby Night-san » Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 pm

I've only read all the way through TGC so far, and I'm going try try TSK again (bored me too much the first time around) soon because I've skimmed through the last book, and it looks like it's worth the slog through book two.

I'll say, though, the part with Tony Makarios and his fish always makes me twinge with sadness and pity. What really tears me is the chapter where Lyra and Pan are nearly separated with the intercision machine. I only imagine what it'd be like if Sirocco were corporeal and it was us in that situation... I start tearing up. D:
And the part with Roger at the end... Poor kid...
Night- Human, female, Grey Wolf therian, ESTP, Pokémaniac
Sirocco- Dæmon, male, unsettled, ISTP, backseat gamer
ImageImage
I'm flying away, running like the wind, as I chase the sun
I'm spinning around, circles in my mind, sailing over ground
Signature GIF files are © their respective creators.
Night-san
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: night_san
AOL: akawolfgirl

Postby cjp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:47 am

I originally registered on here years ago, but feel the need to post again after so long (edit - wow, just realised when I logged in yesterday for the first time in years, it was 6 years to the day (even the day of the week) that I first registered; spooky...)! Being a bit of a completionist, and having never owned TAS when I originally read through the series 6/7 years ago, I bought myself a second hand copy last week. For some reason I flicked through it and read the last chapter or so, and dear me, it's broken my heart all over again.

I remember being upset years ago, but even now as a 26-year old man, I find something so utterly heartbreaking about the way TAS ends, that it's still with me several days on. Someone else described it as feeling "empty", which I agree with. This thread title say it all; I'm just relieved that so many other people have had the same experience.

I have been known to get misty eyed at films and the like before, but this was/is something else entirely. I'm glad to know that all these years on, something as good as these books (or even a fraction of them) can affect me in such a way.

The Lantern Slides are new to me too, but "It was the second thing she said to Will next day in the Botanic Garden" both fills me with joy and sadness in equal measures.

Emotional man rant over.
cjp
Grazer

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk