The Republic of Heaven

HDM Covers

Discuss general topics related to the series

HDM Covers

Postby kincuri » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:01 am

I'm pretty sure there probably been threads on this before, but I'm interested to see what Covers of the series people have, or even just like.

I have this set:

ImageImageImage

I was attracted to these, as they seemed to have some amount of charm compared to the rest of the covers that came out after the Film.

If I ever had to replace my set I would probably get these:

ImageImageImage
kincuri
Zalif

Re: HDM Covers

Postby Acchon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:33 am

All my covers look like this. but with difftent collor filters:

TGC: Blue (this one)
TSP: Green
TAS: Gold
My avatar is my daemon Uruvia the wildcat, according to the official move site. Just in case you wanted to know.
Acchon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jasman71 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:09 pm

These three from a triple box set. These have the notes, sketches and letters of the "extended" versions in the backs of them.
Attachments
DSCF0902.JPG
(136.36 KiB) Downloaded 877 times
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Leif » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:15 am

Mine:
Attachments
hisdarkmaterials.jpg
(27.02 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby aklebury » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:41 am

I don't have a matching group of books
The second and third are from the same set but the first one is different.

"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:38 am

kincuri wrote:ImageImageImage

Yes I'm a big fan of theses. Were rather expensive but entirely worth it.

My original set of books are like those aklebury shows. 1 & 2 at least. I have TAS in first edition hardback.

Then I have random ones in Edinburgh. But the lantern slide editions are by far my favourite.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 pm

I have this one Image for the first book (in hardcover), this one Image for the second book (also in hardcover) and this one Image for the third book, also in hardcover. The reason they're all different is that when I started reading the series, only NL had been written, so I had to *wait* for the other ones to come out. Since most books come out late in Australia, ordered them from overseas, wherever it was fastest, hence the mish-mash of editions. I like the new black and white ones better, but I have a special love for my old hardcovers, with dust-jackets removed for ease of reading, with cracked spines and fading colours in the place where my hands hold them. They remind me of how painful it was to have to wait to find out what happened in the series while Pullman wrote them. Sorry for the size of the images.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:08 pm

I have these ones:
It was either really big from BTTS or really small from Google, so...

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby jasman71 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:53 pm

These last three covers seem far more descriptive in their artwork, about key elements of the respective books... with the possible exception of TSK, which I always imagined Will cutting nice little squares or doorways, instead of abstract tears, but then I'm being nitpicky... :)
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Philharmonic » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:07 pm

jasman71 wrote:with the possible exception of TSK, which I always imagined Will cutting nice little squares or doorways, instead of abstract tears, but then I'm being nitpicky... :)

I'd think the windows would look like what the camera moves through to get from this to Lyra's universe at the beginning of the film.

Anything could happen.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby jasman71 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:35 pm

if only... wrote:I'd think the windows would look like what the camera moves through to get from this to Lyra's universe at the beginning of the film.

I think that was more of a curtain? :?

As you say, anything could happen, but I can't see him cutting esoteric shapes when a "window" would do (although obviously had he known at the time that they'd all have to be closed again, he'd have made them as small as possible with as few cuts as needed). But again, I guess I'm over analyzing this, and it's not quite the right thread to argue the pedantics of inter-dimensional window cutting....hmm, there's a possible chat-up line to use sometime... :) ...................... or not :(
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby Somewhat » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:56 am

I have these:
Got them as a box set off Amazon for some ridiculously cheap price. Funnily, exactly opposite to Kincuri, I want to buy the black-and-white editions now. Let's trade, Kincuri! Except mine are sort of falling apart. :P
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby kincuri » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:51 am

I think the main reason I like the american set is because of the cover to The Golden Compass.
The art of Lyra and Pan riding on Iorek is awesome. I love they way that they've done both Lyra and Iorek's faces
kincuri
Zalif

Postby bee » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:22 am

I've got this one, beat up and in paperback (my first copy, so it has a very special place in my heart):

This one is also paperback, although it is temporarily missing from my shelves. I'm not crazy about it. I love the shininess of the knife, but the monkey in the background is terrifying. I swear that monkey was not on the cover of mine when I first read these books, but I can find no evidence to support that.

My friend bought this for me last May when she went to England...

My dad bought these for me when the movie was going to come out and he wanted to read the books (he only read TGC, but he wanted all the books to match).

And for Christmas, I got advance reader copies (from long long ago!) which have utterly delightful plain covers. I'll take a picture I suppose if I can't find one.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Mockingbird » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:16 am

I bought this edition at a Philip Pullman book signing last year:

...did I mention that it is signed by Philip Pullman? ;)

I think the main reason I like the american set is because of the cover to The Golden Compass. The art of Lyra and Pan riding on Iorek is awesome. I love they way that they've done both Lyra and Iorek's faces

That's the set that I have but I dislike it mainly because of The Golden Compass cover art. It almost turned me off from reading the book, and then where would I have been?

I remember when my friend lent me her copy and I said "Why would I want to read a book about a little girl and her pet rat and pet polar bear? Why didn't that polar bear eat her?" I wonder if other older readers, who didn't have friends to say "Just shut up and read it," have been turned away by the cover?

Creating fitting and appealing fantasy cover art seems to be a difficult business.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby kincuri » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:55 am

Mockingbird wrote:I remember when my friend lent me her copy and I said "Why would I want to read a book about a little girl and her pet rat and pet polar bear? Why didn't that polar bear eat her?" I wonder if other older readers, who didn't have friends to say "Just shut up and read it," have been turned away by the cover?

I didn't think about it that way, but I guess that makes sense for those who've never read the books.

I guess I see it differently because I've already encountered Lyra, Pan and Iorek and remember the part of the book it comes from.

I know it's cliched to say "Don't judge a book by it's cover", but I guess a lot of people do when buying books, especially if they don't already have an idea what it's about.
kincuri
Zalif

Postby aklebury » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 am

moonflash wrote:...Funnily, exactly opposite to Kincuri, I want to buy the black-and-white editions now. Let's trade, Kincuri! Except mine are sort of falling apart. :P

I was so tempted by the black and white editions and ended up buying them today.
Mainly because I wanted to have the latern slide extra-thingees at the back but also because I love love love the woodcuttings by (i believe?) John Lawrence who also did LO and Once...In The North.

I definitely think covers affect me, and had the first edition I got had some of the more clearly 'aimed-at-kids' coverart, I don't think I would have ever bothered to read them. Which would have been a great pity.
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby sfsraffie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Mockingbird wrote:...did I mention that it is signed by Philip Pullman? ;)

I've got all three US hardcovers signed, with TAS signed to my daemon's name! 8)

I think the main reason I like the american set is because of the cover to The Golden Compass. The art of Lyra and Pan riding on Iorek is awesome. I love they way that they've done both Lyra and Iorek's faces

That's the set that I have but I dislike it mainly because of The Golden Compass cover art. It almost turned me off from reading the book, and then where would I have been?

I remember when my friend lent me her copy and I said "Why would I want to read a book about a little girl and her pet rat and pet polar bear? Why didn't that polar bear eat her?" I wonder if other older readers, who didn't have friends to say "Just shut up and read it," have been turned away by the cover?

I decided not to read the book based on that cover because there was a girl and no boy. I was 10 at the time... but once I reluctantly gave the first chapter a shot, I was hooked.

To me, those paintings *are* Lyra. DBR does an excellent interpretation, but while Craig and Kidman will probably replace whatever mental images I had of their characters, as terrific as DBR was, she was just a bit too tall, thin, and delicate-looking. I love how Lyra's got a slightly pug-ish face in those paintings.

And while it definitely isn't accurate to the text, I love that green TSK painting above. It's a terrific riff on the theme, and certainly reflects the spirit of the thing.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Roll_with_it » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:29 pm

bee wrote:This one is also paperback, although it is temporarily missing from my shelves. I'm not crazy about it. I love the shininess of the knife, but the monkey in the background is terrifying. I swear that monkey was not on the cover of mine when I first read these books, but I can find no evidence to support that.

I can't stop laughing at that for some reason.

I have the full set of the British covers, the original editions and i'm in love with them. They just sort of define the series for me and don't give too much away, which is good.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n4/n23213.jpg

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n4/n22884.jpg

http://website-archive2.nt-online.org/t ... 4&max=1000
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Blossom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 pm

I read them in the original covers which i like the best, they're the prettiest. For some reason we only seem to have this one http://www.bridgetothestars.net/coverar ... nixtas.jpg
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk