The Republic of Heaven

Oxford needs a Lyra statue

Discuss general topics related to the series

Should Oxford put up any HDM-related statues?

Yes! One for Lyra and Pan
39%
Yes! One for Lyra, Pan and Will
29%
Yes! One for Lyra (modeled on DBR) and Pan
4%
Yes! One for Lyra (modeled on DBR), Pan and Will
7%
No, but maybe a plaque or something
18%
Of course not, though HP should get a Kings Cross statue in pure gold
4%

Total votes : 28

Oxford needs a Lyra statue

Postby sfsraffie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 pm

I mean, Sherlock Holmes has one... 8)

I say just Yes!, just Lyra and Pan, modeled after this Lyra (though in Oxford clothes):

... Though maybe after DBR if sequels are made.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Oxford needs a Lyra statue

Postby krebbe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:22 pm

Where would you put it? It would look a bit out of place in the Botanic Garden. I don't know whether Exeter College (which Jordan College was based off) would want one in one of their quads.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Postby bee » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:47 am

I'm not sure how I feel about it in general, I'll have to think about it. But I definitely don't think a DBR statue is any sort of good idea. Then it's her, not Lyra. She isn't Lyra.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Philharmonic » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 am

I think it would be a fairly good idea, if Sherlock has one.
I voted for Lyra (modelled on DBR) Pan and Will, so they should wait till they know who is gonna act in TSK theen model Will on him.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Midnighttosix » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:21 am

A big statue might be a bit too far, maybe something more temporary, say a... snowman :shifty:
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby sfsraffie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:09 pm

I was thinking a life-size statue... something twelve feet tall would certainly be ridiculous. As for location, somewhere in the garden would probably make the most sense, but it could be anywhere, really.
sfsraffie
Gallivespian Spy

Postby jessia » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 pm

it'd be interesting to see something affixed to an exeter rooftop, in spirit of lyra's jordan.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Bellerophon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:26 pm

jessia wrote:it'd be interesting to see something affixed to an exeter rooftop, in spirit of lyra's jordan.

Might tempt drunken students to venture onto the rooftops. Why not a statue sitting to one side of a bench in the Botanic Garden? Like this:

Avenue McGill, Montreal.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Acchon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:30 pm

Aww.
My avatar is my daemon Uruvia the wildcat, according to the official move site. Just in case you wanted to know.
Acchon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Has Pullman been given the freedom of Oxford yet? I forget. If not, that should happen first. Then I'll have a Lyra statue :)
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby jessia » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm

Bellerophon wrote:
jessia wrote:it'd be interesting to see something affixed to an exeter rooftop, in spirit of lyra's jordan.

Might tempt drunken students to venture onto the rooftops. Why not a statue sitting to one side of a bench in the Botanic Garden? Like this:

Avenue McGill, Montreal.

there are a few of those already anyways: http://www.leavivot.com/secret_bench.htm

plus, if there's a status on the bench... you can't sit on it. i think the constantly renewed L+W vandalism on the bench (despite any efforts to efface it) is memorial enough for the garden.

besides... i feel like pullman made it onto the rooftops without a statue to inspire him anyways.

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Roll_with_it » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 pm

I think we need a Lyra and Pan statue, NOT modeled on DBR. She was very good in TGC and everything, but she's just not Lyra. I'd put it in an upright position in either Oxford college or the botanic garden. I wouldn't have Will in it, for some reason it just doesn't seem right.

If it was on a plaque, what would it read: And it was here, on this spot, that something happened in a book?

Great idea though, well done for thinking of it.
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Grumman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 pm

Bellerophon wrote:

Avenue McGill, Montreal.

The Botanic Garden is definitely the place, and what would be better than the bench? I think that's a great idea. There are other benches by the pond.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby jasman71 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:37 am

There are pros and cons to modelling a statue on DBR. We all know that she plays Lyra in the film, and can therefore be in a position to recognize her in statue form (unless the artist were to make a total mess of it). On the other hand, if she isn't Lyra,then one could argue that before the film came out, we all probably had our own ideas of what Lyra looked like, so what would be the chance of a non-DBR statue fully representing that image, and pleasing everybody. At least DBR is recognizable (to those who have seen the film). Plus, you never know, it could inspire locals and/or visiting holidaymakers to see the film/read the books if they find the statue and think "it must be good if they've made a statue!"

I would hope they would put it out of reach though, as I have this image of heavily vandalised statue, probably graffitied too (maybe signed by "The Snowman"?)
I'm not fat, I'm just in widescreen...
jasman71
Armoured Bear

Postby jessia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Grumman wrote:The Botanic Garden is definitely the place, and what would be better than the bench? I think that's a great idea. There are other benches by the pond.

would it be problematic to hijack someone else's bench in such an explicit way? most of the benches in the garden, and our bench in particular were purchased/donated in dedication to particular people. i like the innocent L+W's scratched in, but i think such a sculpture would actually be hijacking it. also, it'd require wholly new construction, because i think these kind of statues require bronze benches and ours is made of wood.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Bellerophon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Quite right about the bench, Jess. Perhaps a sculpture would be less intrusive down by the Canal in Jericho? I like the roof idea conceptually but prefer art-in-place that can be touched without risk to life and limb. Since it's been translated into Braille, I presume HDM has fans who are visually-impaired.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby jessia » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Bellerophon wrote:Quite right about the bench, Jess. Perhaps a sculpture would be less intrusive down by the Canal in Jericho? I like the roof idea conceptually but prefer art-in-place that can be touched without risk to life and limb. Since it's been translated into Braille, I presume HDM has fans who are visually-impaired.

i will admit that the rooftop suggestion was partially inspired by this vancouver art student's project: http://whereonearthiswaldo.wordpress.com/about/ :shifties:

plus, i liked the mental image (and filmic image, i suppose) of lyra spitting plum (or whichever fruit) pits or at the scholars and underscholars below.

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Midnighttosix » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:23 pm

jessia wrote:plus, i liked the mental image (and filmic image, i suppose) of lyra spitting plum (or whichever fruit) pits or at the scholars and underscholars below.

A spitting Lyra fountain statue, you say? Splendid idea!
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby furbaby » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Bellerophon wrote:

Might tempt drunken students to venture onto the rooftops.

Don't you lot know about the Headington Shark?
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby delta10 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:51 am

Bellerophon wrote:I presume HDM has fans who are visually-impaired.

You presume rightly.
delta10
Zalif

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk