The Republic of Heaven

Would Jiminy Cricket be a daemon?

Discuss general topics related to the series

Re: Would Jiminy Cricket be a dæmon?

Postby Stelmaria7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:07 am

a real life example is shamanism. they beleave in spirit animals which are the same as daemons, except you loss them when you get sick and you get a new one every so often. We had a discussion about them in pyschology and they brought up daemons and patronuses.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby LadyHawke » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Interesting you would point that out. I was obsessed when I was younger (LOOOOONG time ago) with the idea of your totem, and when I was in my early 20s I was pretty heavy into shamanism (first Native American, as my first mentor in shamanism was Bear Woman, and then I got into the Druidic/Keltic thing later), and that was when I discovered the falcon was my totem. I remember I wasn't happy, I was horse crazy and I wanted it AT least to be a horse, or a cat (my other fave at the time) but now I am cuddn't be more content that the falcon is my totem, and most people that know me say it fits me well.
When I read Pullman's works, I knew right off that the daemon and the totem were the same thing, and I knew what mine was already.
_./'\._¸¸.•¤**¤•.¸.•¤**¤**'
*•. . •*** LadyHawke **`
/.•*•.\ ¸..•¤**¤•., .•¤**¤•*

If you're goin thru hell, the LAST thing you wanna do is stop.....

ImageMy daemon, Ayden.
LadyHawke
Armoured Bear

Postby shady » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah?Did you actually find about something that totem thing and shamanisam?I mean is it real,not just acting and lot of weed :P
Some Will Fall but i Rise Thug Or Die
Makin Choices that Determine my Future Under the Sky
shady
Gallivespian Spy

Website: http://www.TheHateUGiveLittleInfantsFucksEveryone.com

Postby Soron » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:57 am

A better question would be, would it be appropriate for Pinocchio to even have a dæmon prior to becoming a "real boy" but after gaining consciousness?
Soron
Grazer

Postby Somewhat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Soron wrote:A better question would be, would it be appropriate for Pinocchio to even have a dæmon prior to becoming a "real boy" but after gaining consciousness?

Well, that poses the question of whether a daemon is your soul, your mind, or just a companion. Jiminy Cricket was a conscience and a helper, like Pan, but Pullman's daemons are frequently described as souls; at the same time, Deaths and daemons are completely seperate - all the concepts are really fluid and hard to pin down and divide. If you kill a daemon, the body dies, but if you sever the link, the soul dies. It's a good question and it really depends on what your definitions are.

shady wrote:Yeah?Did you actually find about something that totem thing and shamanisam?I mean is it real,not just acting and lot of weed :P

If you are trying to be a shaman by smoking weed, you are doin it rong. :P
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk