The Republic of Heaven

Oh Joy!

Discuss general topics related to the series

Oh Joy!

Postby particle23 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Finally I have managed to get my 11 year old daughter to read NL (she loved it btw!)

She is now reading TSK and gobbling it up like it was chocolate. I just had to share my joy with you all! It's taken me a while to persuade this avid reader that HDM is worth a look at but it was worth it.

Once again Daddy knows best :wink:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"We have to build the Republic of Heaven where we are, because for us, there is no elsewhere."
particle23
Grazer

Re: Oh Joy!

Postby Jaya » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Congratulations! I read the trilogy when I was 11/12, and it was a great time to read it. Re-reading it several times after that meant I noticed new things each time, and even in re-reading Northern Lights now some things are making more sense to me than they did before (I haven't read it for a whole bunch of years).

Let us know what she thinks.... unless she'd like to come and tell us herself :P
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Soapy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 pm

I agree with Jaya, that is by far the best time to read these books for the first time. As you grow older and re-read them, you get new meanings and implications. It's fantastic.

Congratulations.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby particle23 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:18 pm

She's half way through TSK and enjoying that too. She dreamt, last night, that our dog was her daemon!
"We have to build the Republic of Heaven where we are, because for us, there is no elsewhere."
particle23
Grazer

Postby bee » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:46 am

I've been planning (for ages) to get my niece a set of the books for her 12th birthday. She turns 11 in a few weeks, so I'm still waiting a while. Let us know what she thinks of the series as a whole! I can't decide if I want to give my niece the books this year (age 11) instead of waiting until she's 12. Not sure if a year might make a real difference in enjoyment and comprehension.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby particle23 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:43 am

My eldest is an avid reader and never without her kindle or a book! It took me a while to talk her into trying to read HDM as she had a go when she was a bit younger and only got about 50 pages in before giving up.
It's amazing what difference just a few months can make in terms of comprehension. Each child is, of course, an individual and even if you give the books to your niece a little to early I'm sure she'll read them when she's ready.
particle23
Grazer

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk