The Republic of Heaven

Wuthering Heights

Talk about other books here

Postby Jameson » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:35 pm

I want to die of comsumption! :( So glamourous :wink:
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby eloquent » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:27 pm

You get to have undignified hysterical rages and generally indulge in all sorts of gruel refusing argument starting melodrama.

Plus you get to stay in bed for 3 months... I think that's the clincher...
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Kevin » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:05 am

kate bush's song is odd... like the book. not that i read it, merely the summary notes on gradesaver did i finish reading just now - about 30 pages of word document, not a doddle. great story. i wish i had 3 months to stay in bed right now. exam is in less than 8 hours. heinous.
Kevin
Gallivespian Spy

Postby David F » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:10 am

Brilliant book. I'm lucky enough to have an edition with some of her poetry in, too.

"'Twas grief enough to think mankind
All hollow servile insincere
But worse to trust to my own mind
And find the same corruption there"

Has long stuck in my mind.

I love the way it's all so dank and earthy. Except for the above example.

I know it's a book forum, but does anyone know of a good film version of WH? I'm determined to do one. And to do a good modern take on Crime And Punishment.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby All_That_Jazz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:47 am

I love Emily Bronte's poetry (I just did a project on it...kind of.) Coming from her, you'd expect it to be more...disturbed...but I can really relate to it; her descriptions of the Earth and the kind of (almost) pagan feeling....wow, I just about quoted my paper. :shock:
Walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead beams to another land...

"May all your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view; where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you."
~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

AOL: amsterz42

Postby eniamrahc » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:25 am

eloquent wrote:Yeah and Rochester really got beaten up didn't he? He can't have lasted too long into the happily ever after....

In those classical books, if anyone ever gets a slight physical disadvantage, like a night of running around outside, or like being stabbed in the eye by a fire, you know they'll be in bed with a fever all summer, and dead with that cop out illness 'consumption' in two or three chapters. You can always tell.

You sound happy about it, but I suppose it is predictable. Anyway...

*looks very curious*

Why'd you read the book? Was it by choice? Or under duress? :P

From the Freedom of Light into the Freedom of Darkness she fades - but her shadow here remains - for so ardent was the radiance of her being. - By the grace of dear Maximillian.
eniamrahc
Misplaced

AOL: enicharma

Postby eloquent » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:59 pm

By choice, of course.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Kevin » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:58 pm

David F wrote:I know it's a book forum, but does anyone know of a good film version of WH?

this good film version you speak of is a red herring. non existant. apparently some versions finish half-way through after catherine dies. also i'm told it doesn't work as a film, not nearly as credible as the book, & all the lunacy etc look silly on film.
Kevin
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Enitharmon » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:23 pm

David F wrote:I know it's a book forum, but does anyone know of a good film version of WH?

The one I mentioned earlier in the thread - the 1939 William Wyler film with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon. It doesn't cover everything in the book and I think it would be unreasonable to expect it to - it's a film after all, it's not the book and it can't be, and that's true of all adaptations. WH isn't exactly the easiest book to adapt, which is probably why it hasn't been filmed more often.

It's a real classic film though.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby David F » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:07 pm

I've tried the Olivier one. I managed about ten minutes before I gave up. Maybe I ought to try it again, but I just couldn't take him seriously as Heathcliffe. It's ages since I've read it, but thinking back to it properly it does seem very hard to film well.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:22 am

David F wrote:I've tried the Olivier one. I managed about ten minutes before I gave up. Maybe I ought to try it again, but I just couldn't take him seriously as Heathcliffe. It's ages since I've read it, but thinking back to it properly it does seem very hard to film well.

There's something about Olivier in films. He may have been terrific on stage, which was his natural home after all, but I never saw him there. He just didn't work on screen. Olivier is the "yes, but" in two of my all-time favourite films, WH and Rebecca :?

Conversely, I once saw on stage that most exquisite of screen actresses, Ingrid Bergman. It was the early 1970s (a sixth-form theatre trip) and she was getting on a bit. It was Shaw's Captain Brassbound's Conversion (those were the days when you could see a proper play in the West End) and she had Joss Ackland and Kenneth Williams to support her. All the same, she was quite wooden.

I wonder what it is?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Jameson » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:38 pm

Kevin wrote:kate bush's song is odd... like the book. not that i read it, merely the summary notes on gradesaver did i finish reading just now - about 30 pages of word document, not a doddle. great story. i wish i had 3 months to stay in bed right now. exam is in less than 8 hours. heinous.
Finished my exams now, yippee!!
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby David F » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:57 pm

Enitharmon wrote: I wonder what it is?

It's a strange one. I Some time ago I borrowed an audio recording of Olivier in Hamlet. Brilliant stuff. But I don't think I've seen anything good with him on screen.

On a similar-ish note, Brad Pitt - who I rate pretty highly as an actor - can't do an audiobook to save his life.

On another similar note, Ethan Hawke is a surprisingly/annoyingly fine writer.
David F
Witch

Wutthering Heights

Postby smudgenet » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:27 pm

This is one of my favourite ever books.

Wuthering Heights is a novel written for adults but is best read when you are young as it can be read as a guide as to the true nature of love. The brutality and passion in the novel show how cruel people can be and how love can actually go beyond death.

Amazing book!
Crossover Books, Film and TV

http://www.crossoverguide.com
smudgenet
Grazer

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:46 am

Thar be some fierce graverobbing afoot on this here thread, yon Smudgenet. Arr, especially on this, a most shiver-me-timbersome Talk Like A Pirate Day. Ye shall find no buried treasure here matey!

Really guys, it is "talk like a pirate" day... or was that yesterday... oh well.
For all you cool Americans, there's still time!

Checkitout!
Kevin
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Wuthering Heights

Postby Mockingbird » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:54 am

*Passing revival*

I remember thinking how beautiful this statement of Cathy's is:
I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered color of my mind.

Strangely, I think this quote mirrors exactly how Wuthering Heights affected me.

What I find most poignant about the book is how it seems to have come through Emily Bronte instead of from her, all that half-formed, menacing power. I wonder what she would have done if she had lived longer, or if she had seen more of the world. Or maybe if you write a book like Wuthering Heights, you can't write another?
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Cooroo » Tue May 20, 2008 1:59 pm

It is an extraordinary book. So much viciousness and cruelty, not what we expect from a Victorian lady! Anne also portrayed drunkenness and domestic violence in The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. And even Jane Eyre has insanity, bigamy (nearly), child abuse.

I love them all!
Cooroo
Grazer

Postby blueangel » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 am

I did tis book for my AS level coursework for English

the question was something about typically passive sexual male and the typical passive spiritual female - is this true for the relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine disucss yada yada yada....

but i ended up just reading the book for leasure aswell, and it got me reading frankenstien (which i managed to get extra points for comparing the teo ;) ), so now i've really got into the whole Gothic Fiction genre its very interesting
blueangel
Small Town Witch

Yahoo Messenger: murphy_olivia

Postby Max » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:59 pm

blueangel wrote:but i ended up just reading the book for leasure aswell, and it got me reading frankenstien (which i managed to get extra points for comparing the teo ;) ), so now i've really got into the whole Gothic Fiction genre its very interesting

Get yourself the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake (first book is called Titus Groan). It's a gothic fantasy, like a generic hybrid of HDM and Frankenstein.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby aklebury » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:29 am

Incidentally there's a new movie in the works. Natalie Portman was involved for a while but now she's dropped out.
I think they're going to have a fairly tough time getting the casting right for this one.
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Return to “%s” Other Books