The Republic of Heaven

Wuthering Heights

Talk about other books here

Wuthering Heights

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 2:38 pm

I had to post this sooner or later, because this is just one the the best books ever. Its so well written and unusual, and one of the reasons I love it is because Ive never seen any adaptions of it, so all the characters are just made up by me. Anyway, Im guessing alot of people here have read it, so what are your views?

p.s...I love Hareton! He's total SoL :love:
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Will » Sat May 29, 2004 2:43 pm

SoL? Then that means.. heheh.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 2:54 pm

True, I copied your word, but he just is, sexy accent, all manly.....
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Will » Sat May 29, 2004 2:58 pm

I do hope you don't mind the assignment of aforesaid acronym to your personage.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby eloquent » Sat May 29, 2004 2:59 pm

The more Cathys the merrier :smiley:.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 3:02 pm

Ohh, I love the young Cathy, she rocks, but the older Catherine..... I believe 'muppet bitch' sums her up
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby eloquent » Sat May 29, 2004 3:06 pm

Rather conceited, wasn't she?
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 3:11 pm

I believe the part when she told Nelly she coulndn't understand why people hated her, made me want to hit her the most
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Re: Wuthering Heights

Postby Enitharmon » Sat May 29, 2004 3:41 pm

Jameson wrote:I had to post this sooner or later, because this is just one the the best books ever. Its so well written and unusual, and one of the reasons I love it is because Ive never seen any adaptions of it, so all the characters are just made up by me. Anyway, Im guessing alot of people here have read it, so what are your views?

Definitely up there with my absolute favourite books that I return to again and again. You really need the edition - the Oxford Classics one is a good one - that goes back to Emily's original text before Charlotte cleaned it up after her death.

The best adaptation is the 1939 film with Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier (although Olivier was as wooden in that as he was in Rebecca and all the other films he didn't quite ruin).

My favourite quote:

Emily Bronte wrote:'It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff, now, so he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire'
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 6:03 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Jameson wrote:I had to post this sooner or later, because this is just one the the best books ever. Its so well written and unusual, and one of the reasons I love it is because Ive never seen any adaptions of it, so all the characters are just made up by me. Anyway, Im guessing alot of people here have read it, so what are your views?

Definitely up there with my absolute favourite books that I return to again and again. You really need the edition - the Oxford Classics one is a good one - that goes back to Emily's original text before Charlotte cleaned it up after her death.

The version I have says 'complete and unabridged' would that be it? If not I'll have to get that version
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Enitharmon » Sat May 29, 2004 6:29 pm

Jameson wrote:The version I have says 'complete and unabridged' would that be it? If not I'll have to get that version

I don't think Charlotte cut anything, she just changed some of the more "vulgar" Yorkshire dialect for something more refined.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 6:36 pm

Well I don't know what half of them are saying so...
And does anyone else think Egar Linton was cool? I felt sorry for him, it was sad when he died
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Enitharmon » Sat May 29, 2004 6:43 pm

Jameson wrote:And does anyone else think Egar Linton was cool? I felt sorry for him, it was sad when he died

Edgar Linton's just a big wimp! Give me a roll in the heather with Heathcliff any day!
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 7:02 pm

No hes not! Hes a soft, kind man, totally unsuited to Catherine.
And Heathcliff is evil, although I'd have a roll in the hay any day with Hareton (after he had learnt to read)
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Enitharmon » Sat May 29, 2004 10:22 pm

No takers for Hindley I assume 8)
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Jameson » Sat May 29, 2004 11:15 pm

What about Joseph? :P
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby eloquent » Sun May 30, 2004 2:09 pm

Blundering Mr Lockwood, anyone?
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby eniamrahc » Mon May 31, 2004 2:36 pm

Ah...

I've picked up the book very recently - could someone just explain that whole digging up the grave incident to me? I'm not entirely clear what Heathcliff was doing at all. :?

From the Freedom of Light into the Freedom of Darkness she fades - but her shadow here remains - for so ardent was the radiance of her being. - By the grace of dear Maximillian.
eniamrahc
Misplaced

AOL: enicharma

Postby Jameson » Mon May 31, 2004 2:50 pm

You mean the part when Heathcliff comes to Thrushcross Grange to collect Cathy for Linton, and is speaking to Nelly? Basically he means he never (and never will) recover after Catherine's death, and will only be happy when he too is dead. He tells Nelly how the night of her burial he dug up her grave, and held her. He also did it recently (around Edgars death) to hold her now (fairly decomposed) body. He also convinced the gravedigger to knock out one side of her coffin, and when he dies to knock out one side of his too, so that they *ahem* can decompose together. He also says that when Edgar's coffin (which is at the other side of Catherine) finally gives through, Edgar won't know 'which is which'

Hey, they don't call it a gothic romance for nothing, kiddo 8)
(I think all thats right, anyway)
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby eloquent » Mon May 31, 2004 3:26 pm

Yeah that's the gist of it. The power of love (or something that originally started as love, and got twisted by the decades of hinsight) can make people go all morbid like that.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Return to “%s” Other Books