Favourite quote from any book.

Talk about other books here

Postby bethanwy » Sat May 05, 2007 10:19 pm

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

Nothing beats that.
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby rats_rox » Sun May 06, 2007 9:25 am

I second that! Although the last paragraph of NL comes very close!
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Riali » Sun May 06, 2007 11:14 am

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible."
Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen

"If a fairy was really-truly, it couldn't be a fairy, now could it?"
Emily of New Moon, LM Montgomery

And, as has been said, pretty much all of Le Petit Prince and THHGG.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby furbaby » Thu May 10, 2007 7:57 pm

I like this:

"Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?"
furbaby
Angel

Postby Mockingbird » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:57 am

Kate Chopin in The Awakening wrote:The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:09 am

I apologise for the length. I write down my favourite quotes in a quotes book, and I only recently opened it again...

Lajos Zihaly in The Angry Angel wrote:A man who cannot draw strength from himself, but only from litanies and anthems, is far more dangerous than one who after reading a handbook thinks he can drive a car or plane.

Zihaly again wrote:Obviously Mihály Ursi had committed a serious blunder in staying alive - at least as far as his political career was concerned - because had he fallen victim to the Nazis, it is certain that Bear Avenue would still be Mihály Ursi Avenue. Since then it had unobtrusively become Gurkin Avenue. Great political changes show extraordinary fondness and reverence for the dead. Less for the living. Heroic resistance in the living is not always a merit; in most cases it is a dangerous stigma. Those who at some time have resisted are tainted by the eternal stigma that somewhere, for something, they will again resist, because resistance lies in their nature, like some grave flaw of character.

Catherine Jinks in Pagan's Crusade wrote:People who read are always a little like you. You can't just tell them, you have to tell them why.

Anne Rice in Pandora wrote:Let the young sing sounds of death. They are stupid. The finest thing under the sun and the moon is the human soul. I marvel at the small miracles of kindness that pass between humans, I marvel at the growth of conscience, at the persistence of reason in the face of all superstition and despair. I marvel at human endurance.

Anne Rice in Pandora wrote:I remember that a long time ago, Armand told me that he asked Lestat, "How will I ever understand the human race?" Lestat said, "Read or see all the plays of Shakespeare and you will know all you ever need to know about the human race." Armand did it. He devoured the poems, he sat through the plays, he watched the brilliant new films with t Lawrence Fishburne and Kenneth Brannagh and Leonardo DiCaprio. And when Armand and I last spoke together, this is what he said of his education: "Lestat was right. He gave me not books but a passage into understanding. This man writes" - and I quote both Armand and Shakespeare now as Armand spoke it, as I will to you - as if it came from my heart:
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps into this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle.
Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

"This man writes this," said Armand to me, "and we know that it is absolutely and utterly the truth and every revelation has sooner or later fallen before it, and yet we want to love the way he has said it, we want to hear it again! We want to remember it! We want never to forget a single word."
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Dismantle the Sun » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:57 am

It was recently mentioned, but it really is so awesome it has to be mentioned again...
Garth Nix wrote:Does the walker choose the path, or the path choose the walker?

And then there's Animal Farm. The first one is quite popular, but the second one won't mean much if you hadn't read the book. I thought it was one of the most powerful ending statements I've ever read, though. And I apologise if they're not exact, it's from memory.
George Orwell wrote:All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
George Orwell wrote:The creatures outside looked from man to pig, and from pig to man, and from man to pig again; but already it was impossible to tell which was which.
Please do not feed the ego.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form." - Albert Einstein

Does anybody here remember Ansett Air? - Pink Floyd.

- Moony
Dismantle the Sun
Grazer

Re:

Postby Bellerophon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Mockingbird wrote:The beauty of the world has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.
---A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf

Saw a pretty girl reading that on the Metro today. She was concentrating adorably and it was difficult not to stare. Hot literature.

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"

On the Road, Jack Kerouac.

I didn't like the book much, but that quote's a winner.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Re: Favourite quote from any book.

Postby brynjarbjorn » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:51 am

One quote from the book I'm currently reading, although I can't say it's a favorite over the other great ones I've encountered :P :

"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things." -Terry Pratchett, Jingo
brynjarbjorn
Unusual Suspect

Postby SilentSlide » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 pm

I was just browsing this thread after starting to re-read Brave New World (Huxley), and this one came back to me:

'But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.'
'In fact,' said Mustapha Mond, 'you're claiming the right to be unhappy.'
'Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen tomorrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind.'
There was a long silence.
'I claim them all,' said the savage at last.
SilentSlide
Grazer

Postby eggnostic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Favorite quote from any book, perhaps not, the book I am currently reading, yes.

Free Fall By William Golding

"God----"
Smack!
"--is----"
Smack!
"---love"
Smack! Smack! Smack!
Is there a God? If not, what are all the churches for? And who is Jesus' dad?
-the office

We must take all of the medicines too expensive now to sell
Set fire to the preacher who is promising us hell
And in the ear of every anarchist that sleeps but doesn’t dream
We must sing, we must sing, we must sing
-Bright Eyes
eggnostic
Gyptian

Postby TheKnifeBearer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Very short but to the point,

"Expect the Unexpected" - S.T.A.R.S Motto, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy

Suicide Penguin!

XBox Live Gamertag: ShadowWesker44 - Add Me!!! 8)
TheKnifeBearer
Zalif

Postby Zealous Monk » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:47 am

Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall

Maybe not my favorite, but its hard to choose you know.
One feels as if One is Dissolved and Merged into Nature- Albert Einstein
Zealous Monk
Zalif

Re:

Postby Silversnake » Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

everlasting wrote:and "The world is quiet here" from SoUE

agreed
Spoiler:
Nothing to see here move along, no seriously. Is my signature THAT exciting?! IS IT!??!! Heheh... You can go away now... Seriously... Hey... I wonder how long a asignature can be, as long as its in spoiler tags... Im gonna find out... But I need to write somthing in the mean time... Well here is a piece of information I found about duck, YAAAY DUCKS:
Duck is the common name for a number of species in the Anatidae family of birds. The ducks are divided between several subfamilies listed in full in the Anatidae article. Ducks are mostly aquatic birds, mostly smaller than their relatives the swans and geese, and may be found in both fresh water and sea water.

Ducks are sometimes confused with several types of unrelated water birds with similar forms, such as loons or divers, grebes, gallinules, and coots.
Hehehe, now back to my signature. Well I have nothing more to say. I hope you enjoyed reading this you nosy person you.
Silversnake
Zalif

Postby AncientOfDays » Fri May 09, 2008 8:23 pm

'The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day.'
'It MUST come sometimes to "jam to-day,"' Alice objected.
'No, it can't,' said the Queen. 'It's jam every OTHER day: to-day isn't any OTHER day, you know.'
'I don't understand you,' said Alice. 'It's dreadfully confusing!'

From Through the Looking Glass

"Jam to-morrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day" basically means "a pleasant event in the future, which is never likely to materialize".
"This is ridiculous!"
"This, madam, is Versailles..."
AncientOfDays
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Valrad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:12 am

Couple of quotes from Mistborn, The Final Empire.

“You see the dilemma?” Ham asked.
“I see an idiot,” Breeze mumbled

Breeze snorted. “Be warned—Hammond does tend to be a bit optimistic about these kinds of things. If the army were made up of one-legged mutes, he would praise their balance and their listening skills.”
Valrad
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books