The Republic of Heaven

Favourite quote from any book.

Talk about other books here

Favourite quote from any book.

Postby hicornycob » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:32 pm

Post your favorite line from any book and comment on other peoples favorite lines.
"Now you've opened the door, all sorts of things are coming through," he said aloud. "I don't want to seem critical, Em, but you shouldn't really be having those kinds of thoughts, you know."
She glared at him for a moment. Then she jumped down from the bed and stalked away.
"Are you blushing, Em?" he asked mildly.
She turned and hissed at him.
-Althalus
The Redemption of Althalus
"'She comes,' the trees sang. 'She comes,' the vines replied. ' She comes,' the hollow sky shrieked. ' Fall down before her in abject surrender!'
And Ghend walked once more through the wood and accross the plain as the wore on back to sunrise. "And how shall you greet her, my thief?" Ghend demanded of althalus as his eyes took fire.
" I shall defy her," the theif replied, " even as I defy you, and even as I defy your Master."

"Your puny defiance is on no moment, Althalus," Ghend of the burning eyes declared in tones of deppest contempt.
"For Gelta, Queen of the Night, shal overcome you, and I, Servant of Darkness, Shall bear you down into the pit, and Daeva, Master of all, Shall claim your soul..."
-The Redemption of Althalus
hicornycob
BANNED

Yahoo Messenger: hicornycob2003
AOL: hicornycob

Postby Kinders » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:16 pm

The little prince went off to look at the roses again.

"None of you is at all like my rose. As yet you are nothing," he told them. "Nobody has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first encountered him. He was just a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I made him my friend and now he is unique in the world."

And the roses were greatly embarassed.

"You are beautiful but you are empty," he continued. "One cannot die for you. To be sure, an ordinary passer-by would believe that my very own rose looked just like you, but she is far more important than all of you because she is the one I have watered. And it is she that I have placed under a glass dome. And it is she that I have sheltered behind a screen. And it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except for the two or three saved to become butterflies). And it is she I have listened to complaining or boasting or sometimes remaining silent. Because she is my rose."

From The Little Prince

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby jopari » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:33 pm

"flying is easy. all you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and forget how to fall." -hitchhiker's guide (so long and thanks, i believe)

or something to that effect.
jopari
Shaman

AOL: jopari13

Postby Naomi Silvertongue » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:11 am

You know that you misspelled quote in your title right Corny??
Colonel William Tavington: You know, it's dirty business doing one's duty... but just occasionally it's a real pleasure.

Benjamin Martin: He cannot be held as a spy.
Colonel William Tavington: Oh, we're not going to hold him. We're going to hang him.

Colonel William Tavington: Thank you very much. Shut the doors!
Hardwick: But you said... we'd be forgiven!
Colonel William Tavington: And indeed you may! But that's between you and God.

Colonel William Tavington: Pretty impressive for farmers with pitchforks.
Naomi Silvertongue
Almighty Short One

AOL: OneTreeFunkeHill

Postby Demoniac_Demi_God » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:19 am

jopari wrote:"flying is easy. all you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and forget how to fall." -hitchhiker's guide (so long and thanks, i believe)

Brilliant book. I personally like "The only moral one can pull from this story is that one must never throw the letter Q into a privet bush." (Life, The Universe and Everything I think)
"If A = B and B = C, A = C unless void or prohibited by law"
"Life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease."
"Windscreen broken. Cause unknown. Probably voodoo."
Demoniac_Demi_God
Grazer

Postby darkemagick » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:59 pm

Or 'Don't panic.' So true.

My favorite quote is from Fight Club. "You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are decaying organic material just like everyone else.' or something close to it - I don't have the exact quote.
"I've nothing against God. It's his irritating little fan clubs that I cannot stand." - Anonymous.

My LJ

darkemagick
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Dante » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:48 pm

Best from Fight Club is:

"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. In all probability, he hates you. We are god's unwanted children; so be it."

There's no way that's the proper quote, but I'm sure you know what i mean.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Trillian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:00 pm

Naomi Silvertongue wrote:You know that you misspelled quote in your title right Corny??

Fixed.
Trillian
Wanton Antipodean

AOL: tanyadsm

Postby All_That_Jazz » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:01 am

Don't have the quote with me, but the last paragraph of A Tale of Two Cities.... :cry:
Walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead beams to another land...

"May all your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view; where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you."
~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

AOL: amsterz42

Postby Max » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:55 am

Well, please, don't quote the ending of a book I haven't read!

..Although you'd probably have used spoiler tags.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby All_That_Jazz » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:52 am

Yes, I would have - the very last paragraph doesn't really give away what happens at the end, though...but the ending is very surprising/important...and now I'll stop talking. :wink:
Walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead beams to another land...

"May all your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view; where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you."
~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

AOL: amsterz42

Postby eniamrahc » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:16 pm

Kinders wrote:The little prince went off to look at the roses again.

"None of you is at all like my rose. As yet you are nothing," he told them. "Nobody has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first encountered him. He was just a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I made him my friend and now he is unique in the world."

And the roses were greatly embarassed.

"You are beautiful but you are empty," he continued. "One cannot die for you. To be sure, an ordinary passer-by would believe that my very own rose looked just like you, but she is far more important than all of you because she is the one I have watered. And it is she that I have placed under a glass dome. And it is she that I have sheltered behind a screen. And it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except for the two or three saved to become butterflies). And it is she I have listened to complaining or boasting or sometimes remaining silent. Because she is my rose."

From The Little Prince

:? I loved that part too.

Um, favourite quotes? Sometimes I find a way to slip them into my signature. I have too many to remember. :P

From the Freedom of Light into the Freedom of Darkness she fades - but her shadow here remains - for so ardent was the radiance of her being. - By the grace of dear Maximillian.
eniamrahc
Misplaced

AOL: enicharma

Postby Enitharmon » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:33 pm

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby WednesdayGlory » Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:17 am

hmm...these are all that I can think of at this time:

"I do not love the sword for it's brightness, the arrow for it's swiftness nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."-Faramir, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

"I'm trying to eliminate my ego but that action is ego itself."-Frank McCourt, 'Tis

and I love "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe
Long is the way
that out of hell
leads up to the light

WednesdayGlory
Grazer

Postby everlasting » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:48 pm

Arwen (LOTR) "There is now no ship that would bear me hence, and I must indeed abide the Doom of Men: the loss and the silence...." Lol as u can probably see from my name

and "The world is quiet here" from SoUE
~*!I am the conqueror!*~

"Nay, dear lord," she said, "that choice is long over. There is now no ship that would bear me hence, and I must indeed abide the Doom of Men: the loss and the silence....
'Here ends this tale, as it has come to us from the south; and with the passing of Evenstar no more is said in this book of the days of old.'
everlasting
Grazer

Postby Rocket » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:24 pm

All that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander are lost
the old who are strong do not wither
deep roots are not reached by the frost
from the ashes a fire shall be woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed will be blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be king

The Lord of the Rings. I think its from Return of the King.
Rocket
Zalif

Postby misterminiver » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:19 pm

A couple of Ursula le Guin's
(On girls who ran off with bandit groups) 'they came back a few months later, sullen, bruised and pregnant.'
(on being underdround, with a complete absence of light) 'The darkness pressed against open eyes like wet felt.'

From Edith Wharton's 'The Touchstone'
It is only our failure to realise just how well our loved ones know us that enables us to live with them.
Clem Miniver, don't you dare smile.
misterminiver
Gyptian

Postby Jameson » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:38 pm

Give her Hell for us, Peeves! :P
Best scene ever. EVER.
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Starshade » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:11 pm

Antionette Bax - I hope your not ~*bullpineapples*~ us Clavain
Clavain - I hope I'm not ~*bullpineapples*~ you either

Just cos, I laughed at that bit.
Alastair Reynolds - Redemption Ark
Currently Listening: The Last Of Us (Goodnight) - Gustavo Santaolalla
Currently Watching: Spotify
Currently Playing: Teslagrad/Hearthstone

and the time is 12.38 BST.
Starshade
Heartbroken Muse

Postby jopari » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:48 am

Jameson wrote:Give her Hell for us, Peeves! :P
Best scene ever. EVER.

Indeed. I will see the fifth movie just so I can see that. Bloody brilliant. I just hope HBP can be as good.
jopari
Shaman

AOL: jopari13

Return to “%s” Other Books