The Republic of Heaven

The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Talk about other books here

Bartimaeus Trilogy 1:The Amulet of Samarkand

Postby Numinar » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:18 am

I read this book and absolutely loved it. I liked how if you knew the name of something you could control it. (like in Earthsea and Eragon (that gives me an idea))

I thought that the book was really funny and laughed out loud a few times. Once i did it in class and everyone kept looking at me like i was crazy.

But anyway, did anyone else like it?
Morituri Nolumnus Mori
(We who are about to die don't want to)
-The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett
Numinar
Zalif

The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:38 pm

I recently finished book two of the Bartimaeus Trilogy (http://www.bartimaeustrilogy.com) The Golems Eye, the first being the Amulet of Samarkand. If you’re talking about books that are “unputdownable” then this is trilogy is one of them. I’m dieing for the third part to come out. A cool feature of the books is the Bartimaeus character, at the end of the some the pages he’s featured in are foot notes and it’s basically him being a smart ass. It can be very funny, but not to the point that it gets annoying or to the point that it ruins the seriousness of what’s going on. The thing that makes this book great is that like His Dark Materials it combines multiple genres, wizardry, action, conspiracy, drama its great, Miramax have even bought the film rights.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Stelmaria7 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:14 pm

I'm in the Middle of rereading Ptolomys Gate. it's my favorite of the trilogy. Its up there with HDM of being my favorite trilogy. Going back to reading it now. Love Bart and Kitty. Nat gets in the way of the story in this one Its about Kitty and Bart's relationship and about Ptolomy and Bart's past
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:29 pm

I love these books. :) Bartimaeus is a fantastic character - I always enjoyed reading his perspective the most. Especially the footnotes. Great use of footnotes.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby DustDaemon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:22 pm

I love the series!!! I think itportrays an excellent theme of selective governing, i.e the magicians feeling themselves superior over both the citizens (in the books, 'commoners') and the Djini (correct spelling) I'd have to agree with you, Ptolemy's Gate is the best of the trilogy.

Wow it's been a while since i read those books, thanks for making my day!!
Like it? £1 Love it? £2 Hate it? £50
DustDaemon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby DustDaemon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:25 pm

mod edit: split from separate thread on same subject matter.

I agree totally, i just posted on the Ptolemy's Gate thread, but still. My favourite characther has to be Bartimaeus...or else Farquarl. He's so twisted, even for a Djini!
Like it? £1 Love it? £2 Hate it? £50
DustDaemon
Gallivespian Spy

Re: The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Postby Stelmaria7 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 pm

i really like this trilogy. I have to read it again thougth because i forgot the little parts. my favorite parts are when Kitty is in the dundgion digging up the founders grave and the mummy jumps out. Or in Ptomeys Gate when Kitty goes to the other Place.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Re: The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Postby Palagrin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Great trilogy. I love Barti, and Ptolemy's Gate was ended in a very awesome way.
Palagrin
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books