The Republic of Heaven

Watership Down

Talk about other books here

Postby Stargirl » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:20 am

El harairah, though im pretty sure that's not houw you spell it.... :shifty:

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Numinar » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:01 pm

I really liked Watership Down. Favorite character was the bird. Kehaar? Something like that. He rocked.
Morituri Nolumnus Mori
(We who are about to die don't want to)
-The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett
Numinar
Zalif

Re: Watership Down

Postby Stelmaria7 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:43 pm

Watership Down was my favorite book when i was a kid. I found the movie at teh library so i watched it. It is old fashoned but still good.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby Riali » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:27 am

Mmm, I've loved it for ever. Anyone read the sequel? "Tales From Watership Down"... Not at all bad, though not a spot on the original. Half El-ahrairah stories, half Watership Down stories. The El-ahrairah are fine, (Better than Rowsby Woof, anyhow, I agree with Jez that the book is much better if one skips that chapter.) and the WD stories are... interesting. A strong dash of Lapine Feminism, and an unexpected strain of mysticism.

And while I'm on the subject, I also enjoyed "The Plague Dogs", but was bored by "Shardik", and mainly bewildered by "The Girl on the Swing".
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby aklebury » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:42 am

Aw, The Palgue Dogs actually broke my heart, so much so that I don't think I could easily read it again.
Watership Down however is really up there with my favourite books of all time and is always fun to revisit every couple of years or so.

EDIT: I just did some Wikipedia-ing and turns out there's an animated film of The Plague Dogs as well, by the same guy who did the Watership Down film. Apparently it's extremely graphic, and the somewhat happy ending of the books was changed and the ending is far far bleaker.
Spoiler:
The poor wittle doggies drown!
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:02 pm

I recently finished this. I'm almost glad I didn't read it earlier because I don't think my younger self could have appreciated the struggles and victories of these earnest little rabbits half as well as I do now.

I'm inordinately fond of them all but Blackberry is a bunny after my own heart. (Leif, how could you dislike Bigwig, er, five years ago?)

I've never eaten rabbit and I'm sure I never will now!
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby ~Lirael » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Defenitely an epic tale - one that people should not allow themselves to miss out on.
It's been too long since I read it, actually; but it's on the list of books I'm going to read over the next couple of months! :)

On a side note: I hope some of you here have seen the tv series. It's for kids, yes, but it is absolutely amazing!
~Lirael
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books