The Republic of Heaven

The Dark Tower

Talk about other books here

The Dark Tower

Postby Celinda » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:47 am

I did a search and didn't see this as a previous post: Has anyone else here read/enjoyed The Dark Tower series? I loved it!

Who was your favorite character?

Which was your favorite book and why? Least favorite and why?

Did you like how it ended?

Me: I liked Roland; I found his progression as a character interesting. So hard yet he developed something of a heart.

I think I liked Wizard and Glass best, and maybe Wolves of the Calla second. I had such a hard time getting through The Gunslinger, though.

The ending: without spoiling it for anyone not finished, I thought it was very Stephen King-ish, though intriguing to consider. In a way, I wish I'd stopped before he ascended the tower, but I guess I would have felt incomplete if I'd stopped before the text ended.

Anyone else read the series or the books? Don't leave me the only one here! :oops:
Celinda
Grazer

AOL: bluestjerne

Postby Laura » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:53 pm

*gasp*

I love you! *gestures to sig and custom title* This series has been my book obsession for about six months now!

Favorite character; Eddie, but Jake was a close second

The Drawing of the Three was my favorite if only for the line; "I'm ready to trade in the ~*pineapples*~ seaside vacation for what's behind door number two..."

My least favorite was Wizard and Glass--I found it a little slow, but I wouldn't say I disliked any of the books.

The ending? Heart-wrenching like HDM! I loved it. It disturbed me, made me cry and kept me from sleeping. Perfect!
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:20 pm

I haven't read Dark Tower but i know that King is teaming up with Marvel to make it into a comic, the art work looks amazing

http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=51
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Laura » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Dragon of Heaven wrote:I haven't read Dark Tower but i know that King is teaming up with Marvel to make it into a comic, the art work looks amazing

http://www.marvel.com/publishing/stories/showstory.htm?id=51

Heh, that almost makes me want to turn into a comic book geek!
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:27 am

Heh, that almost makes me want to turn into a comic book geek!

Don't worry I’m not a "comic book geek", I just like good story telling.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Celinda » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 pm

Laura, LOVE your custom title! I'm hoping to go to NYC in February or March and will just have to visit some places there to take pics of some DT spots.

See the turtle of enormous girth...
Celinda
Grazer

Postby Blossom » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:51 pm

I read the first one after becoming a Robert Browning fan though GCSE English. Twas very different and i liked the idea, but lost interest after the second book. The schizophrenic bitch was annoying and after she entered it all got a bit boring...probably the lack of drugs. However i do want to finish them, someday, if only to know more about the tower.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Celinda » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:20 pm

The "schzophrenic bitch" had an interesting role in the books--especially after they integrated her personalities.

Stephen King is a somewhat crude writer at times, IMO, but I do like his stories. The Dark Tower is quite a journey and I fully intend to read the series again.
Celinda
Grazer

Postby DutchCrunch » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:45 am

Wow, I stopped following the series about 3 or 4 years ago, it was only at book 4 then I believe.
With all the enthousiasm here, I might just have to pick it up again.
DutchCrunch
Witch

Postby hubert » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:04 pm

Well, it's about frigging time there was a Dark Tower thread! :D

(Although I do post at thedarktower.net, so I don't know why I'm complaining.)

Who was your favorite character?

Hmmm.... I'm going to have to go with Roland, because he is a complex and intriguing character. But Walter is the most like me, and he is by far the best villain of all time (except perhaps Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars).

Did you like how it ended?

It was necessary.

I think I liked Wizard and Glass best, and maybe Wolves of the Calla second. I had such a hard time getting through The Gunslinger, though.

I was immediately hooked with The Gunslinger. It was so vibrant and original.... and the last chapter is purely awesome.

EDIT: Just realized that this was my 19th post.

Worlds on worlds are rolling ever
From creation to decay,

Like the bubbles on a river
Sparkling, bursting, borne away.

-Worlds on Worlds (From Hellas by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

-William Blake

The Tower is as wide and spacious as the sky itself...And within this Tower, spacious and exquisitely ornamented, there are also hundreds of thousands of towers, each one of which is as exquisitely ornamented as the main Tower itself and as spacious as the sky...Sudhana, the young pilgrim, sees himself in all the towers as well as in each single tower, where all is contained in one and each contains all.

-Avatamsaka Sutra (ancient Buddhist text)

hubert
Grazer

Postby Laura » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:14 am

*laughs*

My HDM converted roommate is getting started on my copy of The Gunslinger. I don"t know why this makes me happy, but it does!
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby hubert » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:10 am

Laura wrote:

*laughs*

My HDM converted roommate is getting started on my copy of The Gunslinger. I don"t know why this makes me happy, but it does!

I already made most of my family read The Dark Tower. I'm working on getting them to read "His Dark Materials" (for some reason they seem to be prone to reading things like The DaVinci Code.)

Worlds on worlds are rolling ever
From creation to decay,

Like the bubbles on a river
Sparkling, bursting, borne away.

-Worlds on Worlds (From Hellas by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wildflower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

-William Blake

The Tower is as wide and spacious as the sky itself...And within this Tower, spacious and exquisitely ornamented, there are also hundreds of thousands of towers, each one of which is as exquisitely ornamented as the main Tower itself and as spacious as the sky...Sudhana, the young pilgrim, sees himself in all the towers as well as in each single tower, where all is contained in one and each contains all.

-Avatamsaka Sutra (ancient Buddhist text)

hubert
Grazer

Postby DutchCrunch » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:41 am

hubert wrote: (for some reason they seem to be prone to reading things like The DaVinci Code.)

That's good for reading when....uhm....you already read HDM 10 times.
Sadly my family is the same way. My little sister is my only option left. One brother is extremely dyslexic, doesn't see the difference between a b,p,q or d. The other is too damn lazy and my parents somehow don't care.
It gets frustrating.
DutchCrunch
Witch

Postby Revenant42 » Wed May 31, 2006 3:17 pm

If any book is as good as HDM it's TDT. I lvoe it so much. Blaine and Roland are my favourite characters for sure tohugh I love them all. My fav book is either the Wastelands or Wizard and Glass.

For any DT fans the power metal band Demons and Wizards have done an album largely based on DT vcalled Touched by the Crimson King. Any fan of rock/metal should try it out, it's great.
Revenant42
Grazer

Postby QueenFisher » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:40 pm

possibly my favourite fantasy series (after HDM).

i liked Wizard And Glass the most, maybe cos it was the first one i read, i just loved the Roland-Susan story in it. so i didn't find The Gunslinger very difficult to get into once i bought it, cos i kinda knew Roland already.

i wasn't too happy about the ending, but if it had all ended happily, i suppose i would have been cross that he'd followed convention and made it all happily-ever-after. i do think the horn offers the chance for redemption though. just my thoughts.

and i loved eddie the most - it's probably the sarcasm.
George W. Bush: My fellow Invertabrates, this week a major incident reportedly took place at sea, during which Colin Powell captured my battleship. Oh yeah, and we also raidified that stupid North Korean boat as well. As a result, the North Korean leader, Kim Jong, announcified that he would be resumerating their nuclear program. A program I condemn, because it threatens to de-salinate the region. And also because it's a program that has not once featured the Fonz. But be warned, King Kong. Like others before you, should you threaten New York by climbing the Empire State Building, then my fleet of bi-planes will have no choice but to oblitifry you from the face of the Earth. God Bless Pancakes.
QueenFisher
Grazer

Postby Angel to follow » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 pm

I only read the first two, It wasn't that amazing.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Laura » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:46 am

QueenFisher wrote:i wasn't too happy about the ending, but if it had all ended happily, i suppose i would have been cross that he'd followed convention and made it all happily-ever-after. i do think the horn offers the chance for redemption though. just my thoughts.

[spoiler]But Jake, Eddie and Susannah were all united in the Nozz a La World! That's happy...kind of[/spoiler]

and i loved eddie the most - it's probably the sarcasm.

haha, another great Eddie quote: "Shoot me Roland, before I breed."
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby QueenFisher » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:44 am

yeah, i sup[pose they're ok, but Roland's what it's all about, in the end, i reckon.
George W. Bush: My fellow Invertabrates, this week a major incident reportedly took place at sea, during which Colin Powell captured my battleship. Oh yeah, and we also raidified that stupid North Korean boat as well. As a result, the North Korean leader, Kim Jong, announcified that he would be resumerating their nuclear program. A program I condemn, because it threatens to de-salinate the region. And also because it's a program that has not once featured the Fonz. But be warned, King Kong. Like others before you, should you threaten New York by climbing the Empire State Building, then my fleet of bi-planes will have no choice but to oblitifry you from the face of the Earth. God Bless Pancakes.
QueenFisher
Grazer

Postby furbaby » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:05 pm

I'd be glad of a few more opinions on this.

Both Borders and Waterstones have these on a 3-for-2 offer at the mo, and I am undecided .... it's a good opportunity, but I'm not sure if I will like it. I've enjoyed some of Stephen King's books, but not others, and some I haven't been able to finish. When he's good, he's very good IMO, but when he's bad he's dire. (I gotta soft spot for ol' Steve, though: I like the little essays he sometimes includes, and there's a lot of good advice in "On Writing".)

Also, HDM and LOTR apart, I haven't read any fantasy for years. There's so much derivative wannabe stuff out there. But Dark Tower seems to be remarkably popular.

Anyone else loved it or hated it?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Laura » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:31 am

These books were a wonderful trip--I've said too much in this thread already--but I think any fan of King or fantasy novels should read these. I think what I liked the most was the group dynamic between Roland and his motely crew. And King's writing style is just suberb, in my opinion.

So yes! Read them!
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Return to “%s” Other Books