The Republic of Heaven

Garth Nix

Talk about other books here

Re: Garth Nix

Postby Midnighttosix » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:10 pm

:shock: Two new Old Kingdom novels announced for 2010 and 2011! Can't believe it took me so long to find this out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/A2QDFGZQVC7A0Q
:mrgreen:

And now the waiting begins...
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:34 am

*screams*
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Yrael » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54 pm

*Jumps for Joy, then starts a complecated but somewhat enchanting Celebration dance*

I LOVE GARTH NIX, Not in a gay way though.

I LOVE OLD KINGDOM TRILOGY! Well now five books for 2011!

I nearly murdered a friend who said he didn't like Old kingdom!
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Midnighttosix » Thu May 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Some very intriguing news here: Nix to Pitch Sabriel Film Package for Hollywood

And you'll never guess who's signed on for directing duties! :D
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Anoria » Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 am

Ooo. That could be very good.

I do already have one worry, though. One of the things that sets Nix's books apart (at least, the Abhorsen books and Shade's Children, which are the only ones I've read) from other YA fiction is the level of maturity he expects from his readers, evidenced by the mature content he slips in when nobody's looking. Most obvious is the degree of gory imagery with the Dead creatures (not to mention the entire premise of the armies in Shade's Children), but there are other little things - the overheard sex scene at the inn, the naked statue in the sinkhole - which are just casually dropped in, as they are in life, and which the readers generally take in stride because that's the appropriate reaction. There's no obssession over it, like some novels aimed at young teens who would rather be flipping through romance novels looking for the really graphic parts, but all the same it's there, in admirably realistic context. Film rating boards don't generally have the same practical outlook though, and I'm afraid that degree of respect for the audience might be lost.

I don't know much about the production team though, so maybe they'll handle the issues with more grace than I've come to expect from the fantasy film industry.
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby Jaya » Sat May 03, 2008 1:19 am

I'm not even sure how they'd go about visualising this. I mean...okay, I sort of can, but a lot of the trilogy's atmosphere is something that comes from his writing and I don't know if they're going to be able to get that onto screen in the way that readers would want. But then when do they ever; I guess they'll try. We'll jut have to wait and see what they come up with. :|
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sat May 03, 2008 8:38 am

I'm reserving judgment until later on in the film-making process, but I hope they manage to retain some of the grimy, WWI-ish/grainy noirish atmosphere. Well, that's the atmosphere that I see in my head when I read the Old Kingdom books, anyway.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Midnighttosix » Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Anoria wrote:I do already have one worry, though. One of the things that sets Nix's books apart (at least, the Abhorsen books and Shade's Children, which are the only ones I've read) from other YA fiction is the level of maturity he expects from his readers, evidenced by the mature content he slips in when nobody's looking... the overheard sex scene at the inn, the naked statue in the sinkhole.

I don't think either of these would really push the censors. I think a bit of implied sex is allowed, the scene doesn't need all out orgasmic screaming to be understood. And I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with nudity of an inanimate object.
Of course, this is still early, early stages. The project still has plenty of potential to rot in development hell.
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Jez » Sat May 10, 2008 5:11 pm

I can't really imagine Sabriel as a film. I think it would be really difficult to make it work onscreen, particularly all the Charter magic stuff. There's been such a glut of fantasy films recently; it would be easy for this one to fall by the wayside.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Return to “%s” Other Books