The Republic of Heaven

Garth Nix

Talk about other books here

Sabriel Series

Postby Saraneth » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:29 pm

Yes! Everyone must read them. There's an awesome book called Sabriel. It has a sequel called Lirael, and the third book, Abhorsen, comes out January 7th 2003. I can't wait. Has anyone else read them? I think they're awesome. I personally liked 'Sabriel' better than 'Lirael' though. Well anyway, if you like HDM you should like this too so go check it out
Saraneth
King of the Bears

AOL: aDIM83

Postby Tristan » Sat Oct 19, 2002 8:58 pm

read Sabriel a couple years ago, and thought it was really good. One of the few fantasy books out there that actually has some originality in it. Bravo to Garth Nix... haven't gotten around to reading Lirael, although I probably will one of these days.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Nix » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:28 pm

Am planning on buying it in about a month so will read it as soon as i do
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby oculi_terrae » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:46 am

oh man, sabriel's one of my favorite books. read lirael too, thought it was good. interesting way to end the book, tho. why is it that the 1st book in a trilogy can always stand on its own, and the 2nd one is a cliffhanger to lead into the third? hdm pulled the same thing. i can't remember if lotr did that or not. oh hey, anybody read shade's children by nix too? another awesome book; maybe better than sabriel, not sure.
oculi_terrae

Postby Saraneth » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:13 pm

YES! Shade's Children was awesome; I love that book. It's on the same level as Sabriel for me. I thought it was a cool book with awesome ideas to it. Even had a bittersweet ending. Garth Nix is my favorite author. I've read Sabriel, Lirael, SC, and the 7th Tower series and loved 'em all.
Saraneth
King of the Bears

Postby Tristan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:22 pm

what's shades children about?
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby oculi_terrae » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:05 am

its definitely really dark, kinda gory sometimes. its sci-fi/fantasy about a future version of earth. the world's been taken over by "overlords" these really powerful alien-type ppl. as soon as they show up, everyone over the age of 14 just disappears. they gather up all the children, and take them away to factories/breeding grounds. when the children in there reach 14, they're taken away and their body parts are used to make these weird battle creatures, which is how the overlords get their entertainment; by staging these battles. anyway, the book focuses on this guy shade, who takes in kids that have escaped and feeds them, clothes them, teaches them how to survive. its really an awesome book; everybody needs to read it.
oculi_terrae

Postby Tristan » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:52 pm

sounds good.. yet another book to put on my list of "to reads"
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Nix » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:58 pm

it sitting on the worktop at home but have to wait about 5 weeks before i can read it as am having it for b'day, really unfair cos everyone keeps saying how awesome it is
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Stelmaria » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:20 pm

I really liked Sabriel. I haven't read the sequels yet. My friend's friend borrowed it from her brother's friend and my friend said she would loan it to me ... But of course that hasn't happened yet. :lol: Garth Nix also wrote another series. I think it's called The Seven Towers, or something. Apparently they're for the "younger generation". I picked one up @ Barnes and Nobles, and they're definatly for the younger generation. :D Has anyone read them?
Stelmaria

Postby Justine » Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:55 pm

I haven't read the Seven Towers, but they do like like they are for a younger generation, though. I have read Shade's Children, but I only like some parts. There were some gross (not bloody or grusome, I don't mind that) parts.
*hug* i love you!
Justine
Angel

AOL: bluiswitedragon6

Postby Saraneth » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:27 pm

I loved Shade's Children. And I also read the 7th Tower Series. That's how I found out about Garth Nix. I was in uhhh 7th-8th grade when the books came out and ended. Yes, they were more for the younger generation but I still loved them.
Saraneth
King of the Bears

Postby Tristan » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:27 pm

I think I started on the seven towers a few years ago (weren't they about these kids and sun crystals or something?), but I only read the first two. If we're talking about the same books, there was an interesting parallel between the daemons of HDM, and the "shadows" of the children... they took on a form when you reached a certain age, etc. Not the best books I've ever read, but tolerable again for a "younger" age.
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Saraneth » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:32 pm

Yup. That's them. I read HDM after them and I remember thinking about how they were like the shadows/vice versa. Yeah, sun crystals, shadow guards(I think...), everything. I wanna re-read them haha. Milla + Tal. 2 main characters. And I still need to re-read Lirael before Abhorsen comes out(I'm SO phsyced for it)
Saraneth
King of the Bears

Postby Nix » Sat Nov 09, 2002 4:33 pm

when did u say Abhorson comes out in US
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby Saraneth » Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:52 pm

It says it comes out on January 7th on Amazon.com. I know they just released Sabriel over there in the UK this past September, so Lirael and Abhorsen won't even come for you for a while. But you can obviously order from the States
Saraneth
King of the Bears

Postby Nix » Sat Nov 09, 2002 5:59 pm

Yeah i did wonder because Lireal doesnt come out til February here

Can american online book cataloge thigs deliver 2 uk. i never new that
Nix
Bene Elim

Postby I'm not telling » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:11 am

Wait a minute...Back up! You said something about shadows and daemons. Would someone PLEASE tell me which came out first because I really need to know. I need to find out which of my all-time favorite authors is a plagarist. Tellllllll meeeeeeeeeee!!! :shock:
I'm not telling

Postby Saraneth » Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:04 pm

Huh?? It's not copied.. but Sabriel came out in '95 or '96 and the 7th tower came out in '99 or '2000
Saraneth
King of the Bears

Postby Justine » Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:20 pm

So far, Sabriel is an awesome book. I'm only on chapter 5, because I forgot it at home, and I got snowed in at my aunt's.
*hug* i love you!
Justine
Angel

AOL: bluiswitedragon6

Return to “%s” Other Books