The Republic of Heaven

Ten books every schoolchild should read

Talk about other books here

Postby kezmondo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:09 am

Riali wrote:The Motions chap's list made me laugh. How many 16 or 17 year olds can get through Ulysses with any sort of understanding? Not a whole helluva lot, I think.

I've never read it so I don't understand. Is it hard to follow or...?
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Riali » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 am

kezmondo wrote:
Riali wrote:The Motions chap's list made me laugh. How many 16 or 17 year olds can get through Ulysses with any sort of understanding? Not a whole helluva lot, I think.

I've never read it so I don't understand. Is it hard to follow or...?

I've never read the whole either, though I've read bits. A translation of Ancient Greek poetry is just pretty thick stuff. I'm sure there are high school students out there who can read it just fine, but I think they're the exceptions, not the norm.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby cassingtonscholar » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:59 pm

Riali, I really liked your list. I hadn't read (or heard of) the one for second grade, but I know all the others. I've either read them (like HDM, Watership Down, 1984) or they are on my list to read (like Jane Eyre). And I'm only in ninth grade, so I think I can make it. All the ones I have read I loved too, like Watership Down and From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenwieler.
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby Will » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:16 am

I'd forgotten all about Where the Wild Things Are; now I want to read it again.. If I were to pick a composite from these lists, I'd go for:

Paradise Lost - an edited version of books 1 & 2 cutting out the long sections where Milton gives an extended list of something. PL isn't actually especially hard to read and there should be some poetry on the list.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - you've got to have Roald Dahl somewhere. If you want a book that children actually want to read (which is important) then this is pretty much it.

Robinson Crusoe - maybe; some Victorian literature would be good, but I'd be tempted to switch this with HG Wells since he's more readable. One of his short stories maybe.

Andrew Motion needs a dose of reality.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Re: Ten books every schoolchild should read

Postby rats_rox » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:36 pm

I am very proud to say that I am reading Wuthering Heights at the moment. We had free choice of a pre-20th century novel for our GCSE and I chose that. Proving to be very good so far! :D
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Enitharmon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:11 pm

rats_rox wrote:I am very proud to say that I am reading Wuthering Heights at the moment. We had free choice of a pre-20th century novel for our GCSE and I chose that. Proving to be very good so far! :D

It's a cracker. I can't understand why people shy away from it.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Peter » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:03 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
rats_rox wrote:I am very proud to say that I am reading Wuthering Heights at the moment. We had free choice of a pre-20th century novel for our GCSE and I chose that. Proving to be very good so far! :D

It's a cracker. I can't understand why people shy away from it.

It's Victorian and it's not been on the telly lately and it's a set book.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby rats_rox » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:46 pm

It's really weird though because I am the only one in my class who has chosen to do it. :(
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:40 am

Enitharmon wrote:It's a cracker. I can't understand why people shy away from it.

Also, strangely enough, I think it's better to read it as a teenager. I read it first when I was 14 and loved it, and I read it again this year and while I still enjoyed it, I think as a teenager I was better able to appreciate the emotion of it. When I read it as a 22-year-old, I wasn't able to identify passionately with the characters and what had seemed like profound love seemed more like pathological...cruelty, I guess. I suppose I was just reading it with different eyes.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Enitharmon » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:07 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:Also, strangely enough, I think it's better to read it as a teenager. I read it first when I was 14 and loved it, and I read it again this year and while I still enjoyed it, I think as a teenager I was better able to appreciate the emotion of it. When I read it as a 22-year-old, I wasn't able to identify passionately with the characters and what had seemed like profound love seemed more like pathological...cruelty, I guess. I suppose I was just reading it with different eyes.

Ronni, I think you hit the nail on the head there.

It's nice to see this thread still rolling. A thought about the original lists: Philip Pullman compiled a list for enjoyment; Andrew Motion, who is far from being a fool, compiled a list to stretch and challenge. That doesn't mean that those books that are a challenge aren't thoroughly enjoyable. I dare say there are some you would get on with and some you won't but you would always be better for trying. I bet Andrew Motion regularly revisits his choices. I'm sure Philip Pullman has very find memories of the Family Moomintroll but I doubt very much if if picks it up to re-read when he goes on holiday.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Mockingbird » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:
Enitharmon wrote:It's a cracker. I can't understand why people shy away from it.

Also, strangely enough, I think it's better to read it as a teenager. I read it first when I was 14 and loved it, and I read it again this year and while I still enjoyed it, I think as a teenager I was better able to appreciate the emotion of it. When I read it as a 22-year-old, I wasn't able to identify passionately with the characters and what had seemed like profound love seemed more like pathological...cruelty, I guess. I suppose I was just reading it with different eyes.

Yes, I feel the same. That book was written with so much ferocious passion that it inspired the same feeling in me when I was fifteen…but now it seems not so much like cruelty but like childishness. It seems to me that Wuthering Heights was written by someone who lived solely on fiercely-held dreams, who understood love and passion only as ideas, which was true enough from what I understand of Emily Bronte’s life.

Charlotte Bronte got it right, I think, when she said that her sister had created something half-savage, full of hidden power that she herself barely understood. She’s still my top ‘deceased person I’d like to meet,’ it would have been something to speak with her and know her mind.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:46 am

Enitharmon wrote:I bet Andrew Motion regularly revisits his choices. I'm sure Philip Pullman has very find memories of the Family Moomintroll but I doubt very much if if picks it up to re-read when he goes on holiday.

I have a couple of favourite books from my childhood which I probably reread a few times a year. People read for so many reasons, for enjoyment and to be stretched, as you say, but also to be distracted, for work - and the reasons change according to the book. For me, these books of childhood are read FOR CONSOLATION. If I'm feeling bleak, worried, or have just finished a book that will keep me awake at night, I pick up one of these faithful old favourites and I instantly become calmer, more cheerful, better able to cope with my recently-rearranged-by-new-books world. I have fond memories of these books, and although I've read them so many times that I can quote them and really only need to skim-read every five sentences or so, I will never be tired of them. I need them for something different to what I originally needed them for, but that doesn't mean that I don't still need them.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Max » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:37 pm

Wind in the Willows - A or the quintessential children's fable.

Peter Pan - An introduction to metaphor, allegory, symbolism, and the potential of literature to open up different worlds and minds.

Great Expectations - Written with a charm and vivacity, with characters of such humour and memorability, and a plot so compelling, I can't imagine even the most obdurate of kids could persist in disliking it if they gave it a chance. I think it'd be your best bet for obviating them going through life dismissing anything written before the first world war.

The Gormenghast trilogy - To show them what imagination can be, and how literature can bring it into being and allow you in.

The Catcher in the Rye - Can't believe I can't see this on anyone else's list.

The Odyssey - While we're certainly better off no longer centring all of education on the Classics, I think it'd be a mistake to lose sight of them altogether. Plus it's a cracking tale.

The Outsider - It'll make them think if anything will.

Animal Farm - Lucidly illustrates the dynamics of societies and authority, and the perils of ideology

Watership Down - As above, but because it's not pure allegory it explores the nature of individual lives within those contexts, and how these things may be resisted.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - It physically pains me to think that people pass through childhood without having read this.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Bellerophon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:15 pm

My list, in no particular order:

Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder (trans. by Paulette Moller)
Spring Awakening - Frank Wedekind (trans. by Jonathan Franzen)
Paradise Lost - John Milton
Romeo & Juliet - William Shakespeare
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
Sophie's Choice - William Styron
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez (trans. by Gregory Rabassa)
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Blossom » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:00 pm

I keep popping back to this thread and trying to think of what would be on my list, but it's very hard to think of 10 books every should read. The only one I'm certain so far would be on my list is The Catcher in the Rye, because I think it serves so many purposes, for instance as a short book good for an introduction into essay-type analysation (with a character that won't have the students bored senseless) and also as a sort of companion to teenage life.

And I'm pretty tempted to stick another favourite of mine on my list - Winnie the Pooh. I think it teaches important writing skills, and the importance of not taking things too seriously, and that everyone should have a little pooh bear logic :)
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby eggnostic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 pm

What is a schoolchild? Elementary School?

Tuck Everlasting
If all kids read this in say... 3rd grade the world would be marvelously better.
Is there a God? If not, what are all the churches for? And who is Jesus' dad?
-the office

We must take all of the medicines too expensive now to sell
Set fire to the preacher who is promising us hell
And in the ear of every anarchist that sleeps but doesn’t dream
We must sing, we must sing, we must sing
-Bright Eyes
eggnostic
Gyptian

Postby Mockingbird » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:02 pm

eggnostic wrote:What is a schoolchild? Elementary School?

Tuck Everlasting
If all kids read this in say... 3rd grade the world would be marvelously better.

Yeah, I don't know who this list is for.

For children under 5th grade (and everyone over 5th grade too) I would recommend, in no particular order:

1.Peter Pan
2.Tuck Everlasting
3.The Giver
4.Oh, the Places You Will Go
5.Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
6.The Secret Garden
7.Bridge to Terebithia
8.Sarah, Plain and Tall
9.The collected works of Roald Dahl
10.The Happy Prince, and about 50 others.

It's even harder to pick just 10 for older schoolchildren.

1.To Kill A Mockingbird
2.A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
3.The collected works of Charles Dickens, or at least Great Expectations and David Copperfield.
4.The Catcher in the Rye, as much as it pains me.
5.Brave New World or Animal Farm
6.Fahrenheit 451
7.A Separate Peace
8.Wuthering Heights
9.The Lord of the Rings
10.Pride and Prejudice
11.Some bleeding Shakespeare because they should know it at least.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Trystobefunny » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:32 pm

One book I think everyone should read is "The giving tree" by Shel Silverstein. Obviously for younger readers but I think it can be enjoyed just as well by any age. (don’t think anyone said TGT yet but if they did sorry for the repost)
Image + Image + Image = Image
There are many worlds beyond our own. Make a difference in yours.
Trystobefunny
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: Trystobefunny
AOL: trystobefunny

Postby intotheworld » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:00 am

My response is best summarized as I generally dislike fiction.
I must be one of the few people who finds reading non-fiction enjoyable. Personally I've enjoyed more text books than fiction books that were English class forced reading.

One exception though, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is good (I wasn't forced to read it though).
intotheworld
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AUST » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:25 pm

right, by the time you 18 you should have read (IMO)

1) Peter Pan -E.M.Barry
2) Hard Times/Oliver - Dickens
3) The Illustated Man - Bradburry
4) 1984-Orwell
5) Carpe Juggliem - Pratchett
6) His Dark Materials - Pullman
7) The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald
8) Hamlet - Shakespeare, and Rozencratz and Guildenstern are Dead - T. Stoppard
9) The Giver
10) Lord of the Flies - Golding

I've tried to pick a mix of 'kids' books and more classical peices.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Return to “%s” Other Books