The Republic of Heaven

Discworld

Talk about other books here

Re: Discworld

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:24 am

I spotted this on BoingBoing today, and thought it was so sweet that I'd share it.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:44 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:I spotted this on BoingBoing today, and thought it was so sweet that I'd share it.

I love the 'ook'. What a lovely thing to make! :D
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby zemarl » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:15 pm

i wants! <3
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby zemarl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:36 am

i can't find the other thread where we first mentioned this, or perhaps it was in chat, but this (nabbed from bryn) makes me happy and sad at the same time. it's awful that he has the disease, that anybody does, but i think of all the people it could happen to he's going to make more of a difference to the awareness and research developments than most. yes, the cynic in me smirks that nobody important or wealthy actually cares about these things until it happens to them - but if timing is the only fault to find with his response, i will ignore it.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby tyche » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:59 am

I haven’t read any but just about everyone in the world has recommended them to me. What’s a good one to start with? I’m a bit intimidated by how many there are.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:14 pm

I would pass on the advice that was given to me by certain awesome people on this forum, and say start with Guards! Guards!. It's the first of the City Watch books and is, I think, an excellent introduction to the wonderful world of Discworld.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Blossom » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:44 pm

tyche wrote:I haven’t read any but just about everyone in the world has recommended them to me. What’s a good one to start with? I’m a bit intimidated by how many there are.

I wouldn't start at the beginning. People say they get better but I was so bored by the first 3 or 4 I didn't bother to read any more. Not my cup of tea at all. The only one i've read and enjoyed was The Amazing Maurice because it seemed more aimed at kiddywinkles and actually had some form of plot.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Jaya » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:38 pm

I wouldn't start at the beginning either. I suggest my favourite Discworld, Thief of Time.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby kaoshoneybun » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:12 pm

I recommend 'Mort' for a first read because its quite easy to get into but introduces alot of the weird systems going on in Discworld. Otherwise, 'Witches Abroad' or 'Soul Music' are good because they parody many ideas we are all familiar with in pop culture
eg. Soul Music features a rock star whose name translates as 'Buddy Holly' although people often mistakenly think he's Elvish.
In 'Witches Abroad' the trio meet a wretched creature looking for his 'precious' and Nanny Ogg has a house fall on her & the locals try to steal her pretty red shoes...
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby Anoria » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 am

kaoshoneybun wrote:Soul Music features a rock star whose name translates as 'Buddy Holly' although people often mistakenly think he's Elvish.

You have no idea how hard my metaphorical palm hit my metaphorical face which then hit my metaphorical desk, just then.
I've read Soul Music three or four times by now.
I got the Imp y Celyn reference the second or third time it was spelled out in the book (I'm not too big on pop culture you see).

But.

I didn't get the Elvish thing until just now.

Argh.

Aie.

Wow.

I think I'm going to go laugh/cry myself to death now.
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby kaoshoneybun » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 am

Bless - don't be so hard on yourself. I often miss references too, I've been reading Beckett recently for Uni so have only jus got some of the jokes in Wyrd Sisters.
Children of the future age,
Reading this indignant page,
Know that in a former time
Love, sweet love, was thought a crime.

William Blake, A Little Girl Lost
kaoshoneybun
Gyptian

Postby VMLM3 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I can't get enough of discworld novels.. Pratchett has this great take on philosophy and a knack for being terribly convincing about it. He's also one hell of a comedy writer and story-teller... seriously you can't not love Discworld novels. I guess besides the fact that the stories are all very well told and peppered with just the right amount of comedy and philosophical sensibility, the most appealing thing about them is that they're so morally clear-cut... you always know who's good and who's bad, how Pratchett feels about good and bad, and ultimately the good guy always win... which in the end leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy about what a great ending you just read.
I guess my favorite would have to be Mort, mostly because it was the first one I read that featured Death, and I didn't expect the ending at all. After that Night Watch is definitely one of the best... Vimes is a great character and the story is just awesome, I remember I didn't stop reading that book at all, went through it in a day. The situations just kept getting more and more tense and pratchett kept finding ways to get out of them just using Vimes' stubbornness, intelligence and street-smarts.
VMLM3
Zalif

Postby Philharmonic » Mon May 24, 2010 8:15 am

I pretty much only just started reading Discworld. And I can't get enough of it! So far I've read Mort, Reaper Man, The Colour of Magic, and I'm reading what is apparently the best one, Wyrd Sisters. I've also seen the film of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic with David Jason and Sean Astin that was on Sky One a few years ago.

So far, my favourite character MUST be Death, and my favourite quote - "I can make next Tuesday" (it's better in context)

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby particle23 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 pm

I`ve read pretty much most of the Discworld books along with a few other TP books. I`m reading I Shall Wear Midnight at the moment and love the Wee Nac McFeegles
(ye scunners!)

Granny Weatherwax, Death, Cpl Carrot, CMOT Dibbler, Vetinari, The Librarian (ook),
Rincewind and the Luggage so many great Characters from an amazing mind that is so sadly fading.

I just know TP will keep on writing (or dictating) until the bitter end and I thank the Gods for that.
"We have to build the Republic of Heaven where we are, because for us, there is no elsewhere."
particle23
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books