The Republic of Heaven

Best opening lines of books EVER

Talk about other books here

Best opening lines of books EVER

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 am

This refers only to non-HDM books, obviously.

Mine is from I Capture the Castle:

'I write this sitting in the kitchen sink'.

It's a perfect first line because it makes you go 'huh?'
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Aurone » Sat May 26, 2007 9:54 pm

While I've yet to find the time to read the actual book, I think one of the greates opening lines is Moby Dick's "Call me Ishmale."
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby furbaby » Sun May 27, 2007 2:17 am

A haunting and immortal opening line:

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again - Rebecca

And some of Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine's novels have irresistible openings. I will return with some...
furbaby
Angel

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 am

Aurone wrote:While I've yet to find the time to read the actual book, I think one of the greates opening lines is Moby Dick's "Call me Ishmale."

You should read it. But be prepared for long passages on whales, whaling and whalers that seem to go nowhere. I got it for my 21st birthday, and struggled through it during a trip to Europe, but it was worth it.

furbaby wrote:Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again - Rebecca

An excellent book. It's one of my sister's favourites, and scared her so much that when she was reading it, she couldn't read it at night.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Sun May 27, 2007 12:45 pm

"They say that the prospect of being hanged in the morning concentrates a man's mind wonderfully; unfortunately, what the mind inevitably concentrates on is that it is in a body that, in the morning, is going to be hanged."
-Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

It's the first line and the first paragraph, too. It certainly isn't the very best but I do like it a lot.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jaya » Mon May 28, 2007 12:30 am

furbaby wrote:A haunting and immortal opening line:

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again - Rebecca

One of my favourites too 8) Rebecca is an awesome book.

On the topic of Discworld, one of my favourite Pratchett openings is:

The rumour spread through the city like wildfire (which had quite often spread through Ankh-Morpork since its citizen's had learned the words 'fire insurance'). - The Truth
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby cassingtonscholar » Mon May 28, 2007 3:05 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:Mine is from I Capture the Castle:

Ugg! I hated that book.

Anyways, my favorite opening line is the classic one from A Tale of Two Cities. Please do me the honor of reading the whole way through it because this is going to take me forever to type out. Here goes:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good of for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Great book, if anyone hasn't read it.
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby Somewhat » Mon May 28, 2007 6:46 am

cassingtonscholar wrote:
Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:Mine is from I Capture the Castle:

Ugg! I hated that book.

Anyways, my favorite opening line is the classic one from A Tale of Two Cities. Please do me the honor of reading the whole way through it because this is going to take me forever to type out. Here goes:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good of for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Great book, if anyone hasn't read it.

It makes Dickens sound bipolar. :D
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon May 28, 2007 11:36 am

I like your taste in books, even if you don't like mine. When I was younger, my mother read A Tale of Two Cities aloud to me and my sister. For about the last 5 chapters, we were all sobbing uncontrollably.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby AUST » Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 am

The opening from 1984... Wodnerful.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 am

Quote it again for me, I'm not remembering. *winces in shame*
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Ultracommando93 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:31 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:Quote it again for me, I'm not remembering. *winces in shame*

1984? "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirtee. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly thorugh the glass doors of Victory mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of grtty dust from entering along with him". It goes on to describe the rather nasty apartment block.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby furbaby » Mon May 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Here’s a few Ruth Rendell/ Barbara Vine openers. She has a great knack for hooking you right from the start, or as Aletheia put it, making you go “huh?”

The clothes of the dead won’t wear long. They fret for the person who owned them. (The Brimstone Wedding)

A great many things that other people did all the time she had never done. (King Solomon’s Carpet)

They have sent me here because of what happened on the pylon. (Grasshopper)

Eunice Parchman killed the Coverdale family because she could not read or write. (A Judgement In Stone)

On the morning Vera died I woke up very early ….. In these circumstances alone one knows when someone is going to die. All other deaths can be predicted, conjectured, even anticipated with some certainty, but not to the hour, the minute, with no room for hope. (A Dark-Adapted Eye)

Cheated a bit with the last one by leaving out a few sentences from the first paragraph, but as an opening it has that “must read on” quality.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby jordan college girl » Tue May 29, 2007 12:50 am

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

My most favoritest book of all time. :D
"We sure are cute for two ugly people." - Juno
jordan college girl
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue May 29, 2007 1:06 am

[quote="Ultracommando93]"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirtee.[/quote]

Of course, how could I forget?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby rats_rox » Tue May 29, 2007 11:25 am

As Matt watched the rain through the window, the rain watched him back --- Justin Richards, The Chaos Code

I like it, it's random. :)
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Ultracommando93 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:40 am

Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds: "The dead ship was a thing of obscene beauty". That's random for you.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby highandrandom » Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 pm

"Far out in the uncharted quarters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded sun."

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Oh - and as a side-note, I adore 'I Capture the Castle', though I've never really been able to understand why, it's not exactly typical of the books that I fall in love with.
"Very occassionally, if you really pay attention, life doesn't suck" - Joss Whedon.
highandrandom
Zalif

Postby Tristan » Tue May 29, 2007 5:00 pm

Hmm, my favorite single opening line is from One Hundred Years of Solitude:
"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Favorite opening *section*, though, I'd say is Lolita's:
"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.

Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns."
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Blossom » Tue May 29, 2007 6:16 pm

jordan college girl wrote:"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

My most favoritest book of all time. :D

Deffinately a great opening line :D
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Return to “%s” Other Books