The Republic of Heaven

Best closing lines of books EVER

Talk about other books here

Re: Best closing lines of books EVER

Postby Bellerophon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:26 pm

I regret that I haven't read anything by McCarthy, but fortunately I have a few weeks set aside between the end of work and the start of school to remedy that.

Anyway, how's this for a closing line?

Charles Darwin wrote:There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Mockingbird » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:16 pm

I know what you mean aklebury, those closing lines gave me on those quick, stunned chills. Matt, I would recommend The Road definitely, but I would also recommend one his earlier works, Outer Dark, so you can see who he was before the literati got wind of him.

Charles Darwin wrote:There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Lovely. :) And the creationists find this idea bleak?

Another chill-inducer for me:

Zadie Smith in White Teeth wrote:Maybe it would make an interesting survey (what kind would be your decision) to examine the present and divide the onlookers into two groups: those whose eyes fell upon a bleeding man, slumped across a table, and those who watched the getaway of a small brown rebel mouse. Archie, for one, watched the mouse. He watched it stand very still for a second with a smug look as if it expected nothing less. He watched it scurry away, over his hand. He watched it dash along the table, and through the hands of those who wished to pin it down. He watched it leap off the end and disappear through an air vent. Go on my son! thought Archie.

It's nothing special out of context, but within context, it's an audaciously optimistic anticipation of a post-borders world.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Philharmonic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:Was that...sarcasm?

No. Authors who don't try are, as may lodically be expected, terrible.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby sxygreenshoelace » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 pm

:love:

Candles on Bay Street was great... I don't remember the closing line, wish I could because it made a huge impact on my life at the time... hmmm anyone know it ? :roll: leave it to me to forget... especially something profound...
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film...
sxygreenshoelace
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: geonhope
AOL: sxygreenshoelace

Postby tyche » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:22 am

I love the ending of Wicked: The life and times of the witch of the west. I mean the ending is a forgone conclusion but it still manages to be incredibly tragic.

And of the Witch? In the life of a Witch, there is no after, in the ever after of a Witch, there is no happily; in the story of a Witch there is no afterword. Of that part that is beyond the life story, beyond the story of life, there is - alas, or perhaps thank mercy - no telling. She was dead, dead and gone, and all that was left of her was the carapace of her reputation for malice.

“And there the wicked old Witch stayed for a good long time.”
“And did she ever come out?”
“Not yet.”
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby kezmondo » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:10 am

Philharmonic wrote:
Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:Was that...sarcasm?

No. Authors who don't try are, as may lodically be expected, terrible.

I'd have to disagree. A Million Little Pieces by James Frey isn't proof read at all, and it has to be one of the best books I've read in a while. Sadly, the ending is rubbish.

I love the ending to 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe:
And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

It's so depressing :(
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby boojumlol » Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 pm

I have many, but I'll limit it to a couple that I don't think have been mentioned.

I lingered round them, under that benign sky; watched the moths fluttering among the heath and hare-bells; listened to soft wind breathing through the grass; and wondered how anyone could ever imagine unquiet slumber for the sleepers in that quiet earth.

Wuthering Heights

He rode with the sun coppering his face and the red wind blowing our of the west across the evening land and the small desert birds flew chittering among the dry bracken and horse and rider and horse passed on and their long shadows passed in tandem like the shadow of a single being. Passed and paled into the darkening land, the world to come.

All the Pretty Horses

That's my favourite Cormac McCarthy. The Road was a little too grim for me - I'll stick to his light, fluffy stuff. ;)

Is it odd that I take pleasure both in Emily Bronte excessive use of semicolons and McCarthy's complete absense of commas?
Energy is eternal delight. - William Blake
boojumlol
Grazer

Postby Kinders » Wed May 27, 2009 12:44 pm

[spoiler="Count of Monte Cristo"]
"Darling," replied Valentine, "has not the count just told us that all human wisdom is summed up in two words? -- 'Wait and hope.'"
[/spoiler]

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Philharmonic » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 am

This one's from Monsters of Men
(To get this one you need to know what happened at the end. Explanation in the spoiler)
Spoiler:
After the complete resolution (death) of the problem of Mayor Prentiss that had spanned 3 books, someone had inadvertantly shot the main man, Todd, with a fancy acid rifle type thing. Todd had nearly died, and was essentially comatose. He had a girl, Viola, and his adoptive father, Ben, coaxing him on where he was being kept. Viola was reading from his mothers journal, and the epilogue is Todd in a dystopia of memories, and from time to time he hears Viola's voice.

Keep calling for me, Viola.

Cuz here I come

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon May 24, 2010 8:35 am

Oh wow, have you read Monsters of Men already. I only started reading the series earlier this year, but I haven't got a copy of it yet. Is it worth it? I thought the first book was much better than the second...
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Palagrin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:01 pm

"It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea."
This is the first line of the closing paragraph of A Darkling Plain (Mortal Engines Quartet) by Philip Reeve. That man is a genius...It's also the first line of the first book, Mortal Engines.
Palagrin
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books