The Republic of Heaven

Best closing lines of books EVER

Talk about other books here

Best closing lines of books EVER

Postby Mockingbird » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:08 am

This is my first thread. *pets it*

I can think of great endings quicker than I can think of great openings...though not at the moment. More to come.

Here is my absolute favorite:

It didn't matter in the end how old they had been, or that they were girls, but only that we had loved them, and that they hadn't heard us calling, still do not hear us, up here in the tree house, with our thinning hair and soft bellies, calling them out of those rooms where they went to be alone for all time, alone in suicide, which is deeper than death, and where we will never find the pieces to put them back together.

---The Virgin Suicides, Jeffrey Eugenides
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby DarkKnightJRK » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:23 am

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, ride me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself--so like a brother, really--I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there was a crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.

-- The Stranger, Albert Camus
DarkKnightJRK
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: CapedCrusaderJRK
AOL: DarkKnightJRK

Postby rats_rox » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:44 pm

Northern Lights:

And so Lyra and her daemon turned away from the world they were born in, and looked towards the sun, and walked into the sky.

It just sounds so beautiful!
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Throughtheaurora » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:48 pm

Sounds like westerns where they walk into the sunset :D
If you're not living on the edge. . . You're taking up too much space!

How do we know dog biscuits are now "better tasting"?
Throughtheaurora
Grazer

Postby cassingtonscholar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:29 pm

"He fell in October 1918, on a day that was so quiet and still on the whole front, that the army report confined itself to the single sentence: All quiet on the Western Front.
"He had fallen forward and lay on the earth as though sleeping. Turning him over one saw that he could not have suffered long; his face had an expression of calm, as though almost glad the end had come."

From All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. The book is one of the best I have ever read and anyone who hasn't read it should read it. Now. It gives you a whole new perspective on war.

I'll put the opening lines on the opening lines thread, because it is really good too.
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby Mockingbird » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:54 pm

cassingtonscholar wrote:From All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. The book is one of the best I have ever read and anyone who hasn't read it should read it. Now. It gives you a whole new perspective on war.

Among all the awesome books on war, I think it's one of the best, along with Catch-22 and The Things They Carried.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby Jamie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Mockingbird wrote:Among all the awesome books on war, I think it's one of the best, along with Catch-22

I couldn't finish that for some reason. I got about half way through and just tailed off. I think it was probably the way he introduces a new character every chapter, began to irritate me a bit. I might give it another go over the summer.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:16 am

Mine is from Blood Canticle, the last book in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles:

'Be gone from me, oh mortals who are pure of heart. Be gone from my thoughts, oh souls who dream great dreams. Be gone from me, oh hymns of glory. I am the magnet for the damned. At least for a little while. And then my heart cries out, my heart will not be still, my heart will not give up, my heart will not give in -
- the blood that teaches life will not teach lies, and love becomes again my reprimand, my goad, my song.'

It's melodramatic, but then again, so am I!
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby shinoshaki » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:47 pm

"This is indeed a great mystery. For those of you who, like me, love the little prince, nothing in the universe can be the same while somewhere, nobody knows where, a sheep which we have never seen may or may not have eaten a flower...
Look at the sky. Ask yourselves: Has a sheep eaten the flower, yes or no? And you will see how everything changes...
And no grown-ups will ever understand why is it so important!"

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

For every action there's an equal but opposite reaction.

.:Newton:.
shinoshaki
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:55 am

Oh, that's a beautiful book! I haven't read it for years...
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Somewhat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:14 pm

I was using a line from it as an epigraph for my English essay, and since it's so short I read the entire thing. It's one of the most beautiful books ever. I first read it when I was 8... I nearly cried when the Prince 'died'.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:23 pm

You use epigraphs in your English essays? I didn't start doing that until I was in uni.

*feels inadequate*
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby jordan college girl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 pm

shinoshaki wrote:"This is indeed a great mystery. For those of you who, like me, love the little prince, nothing in the universe can be the same while somewhere, nobody knows where, a sheep which we have never seen may or may not have eaten a flower...
Look at the sky. Ask yourselves: Has a sheep eaten the flower, yes or no? And you will see how everything changes...

The most beautiful ending of all time. I cry every time I read it.

In ninth grade I wrote a play adaptation of the Little Prince and directed it as a fundraiser. The ending was absolutely beautiful as the actor spoke the ending monolouge and everything was dark except a light on the actor and a star lantern that is the same shape as the illustration Saint Exupery gives at the end of the book. And just as the actor ended Yellow by Coldplay started playing. Just thinking of that image gives me chills.

I'm so glad that there is someone else who loves this book as much as I do! :love:
"We sure are cute for two ugly people." - Juno
jordan college girl
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Annernanner » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Pants = Love

Forever in Blue
"It is better to be happy for a moment,
and be burned up with beauty,
than to live forever,
and be bored all the while."

-The Moth, by Don Marquis
Annernanner
Witch

Postby Jaya » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:35 pm

jordan college girl wrote:
shinoshaki wrote:"This is indeed a great mystery. For those of you who, like me, love the little prince, nothing in the universe can be the same while somewhere, nobody knows where, a sheep which we have never seen may or may not have eaten a flower...

The most beautiful ending of all time. I cry every time I read it.

In ninth grade I wrote a play adaptation of the Little Prince and directed it as a fundraiser. The ending was absolutely beautiful as the actor spoke the ending monolouge and everything was dark except a light on the actor and a star lantern that is the same shape as the illustration Saint Exupery gives at the end of the book. And just as the actor ended Yellow by Coldplay started playing. Just thinking of that image gives me chills.

That sounds beautiful. I'm unsure what's happened to my copy of The Little Prince, I haven't seen it in a couple of years. It's lovely. I attempted to read it in french when I was younger but gave up. Think it would be prettier in french. Most things are prettier in french.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Riali » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:46 am

I love the little prince too. I've read it in french and english, and yes the french is prettier. But i understand the english much better! i saw a copy in a bookshop the other day with the french text and chinese on the facing page. i almost bought it, but it didn't have the pictures. and the pictures are necessary. but i know tham all by heart anyhow, so i might go back for it.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Somewhat » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:59 am

I think my dad read it to me in French when I was learning French, and I understood most of it. It was prettier in French. :)
And the first time I read it, I drew some lovely pictures for it. I really adore The Little Prince. Jordan College Girl, that does sound so beautiful. What is your name by the way? I'm sure you said before.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Townie » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:37 am

I agree that the end of NL/TGC is brilliant - I remember the warm glow i got when I first read it.

How about this, a paragraph rather than a sentance i know, but...:

O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was alright, everything was alright. He had won the battle within himself. He loved Big Brother.
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby Riali » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I love this one:

If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Mockingbird » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:32 pm

angelofboox wrote:
jordan college girl wrote:This is indeed a great mystery. For those of you who, like me, love the little prince, nothing in the universe can be the same while somewhere, nobody knows where, a sheep which we have never seen may or may not have eaten a flower...

That sounds beautiful. I attempted to read it in french when I was younger but gave up. Think it would be prettier in french.

It really does. I've never read it but I will pick it up tout de suite...though I really haven't a prayer of reading it in French anymore. Seven years of French clearly weren't wasted on me. :cry:
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Return to “%s” Other Books