The Republic of Heaven

Books you should like...but don't.

Talk about other books here

Books you should like...but don't.

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:20 am

I don't mean least favorite books, but the books where you just don't see what other people see in them.

...I should explain what I mean by 'should' before it gets dissected. ;) I just mean books that your friends/critics/teachers/literati/history just adore and you just don't.

For me, it's the collected works of Shakespeare, I can't really explain why, I'll think about it. I also hate Catcher in the Rye and I understand what the author was trying to do, but to me it's just:

Book-A-Minute wrote:Holden Caulfield

Angst angst angst swear curse swear crazy crazy angst swear curse, society sucks, and I'm a stupid jerk.

THE END

<3 Book-A-Minute
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Laura » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:27 am

The same thing happened with me and Catcher in the Rye. First of all, I didn't find Holden sympathetic. Second, the book was a disappointment. everyone said it was great. My teacher spent a whole class period prefacing it, and telling us all what a great book it was. I read it and kept waiting for it to get great. It never did. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Another book I could never get into was Alice in Wonderland. Tons of my peers at college said it was their favorite childhood book. I tried to read it--several times, both as a kid and an adult, but never got into it. Carroll's poems (Jabberwocky and The Walrus and the Carpenter) are wonderfull though.

edit--just been browsing that book a minute site, and this is genius!

http://www.rinkworks.com/bookaminute/b/king.shtml
Last edited by Laura on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby cassingtonscholar » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:34 am

I would have to say first, this serries of mysteries with a talking cat by Shirley Rousseau Murphy that my grandmother gave me. She loved them and went through a lot of trouble to buy me the first eight. But they're not that good. And now I feel guilty for not liking them or even reading all of them. :oops:

For a lot of my friends (curse them!) this is true for TGC. "I read the whole thing and I didn't like" or "Nothing happen after 80 pages and I put it down" or *grinds her teeth* "It got boring after a while, I don't remember where, and I put it down. I think they were in a wardrobe or something, listening to a speech." Hello?! This scene ends on page 28! How can you judge a 400 page book after reading less than 28 pages of it!?

Ugggh! People sometimes.....!
*reminds herself not to be judgmental*
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:42 am

Laura wrote:Another book I could never get into was Alice in Wonderland.

:shock: I read it for the first time recently and I adored it...I expect this is going to happen a lot in this thread. :P I thought it was so funny and quite insightful.

Book-A-Minute is awesome; if you don't like a book, the site probably sums up why. I'll link some of my favorites later.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby bee » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:56 am

What tragic replies. I liked Catcher in the Rye, I loved Alice in Wonderland.

Jane Eyre, though... Could not understand the appeal.

And a few more. Must remember them...
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Anoria » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:33 am

I liked Jane Eyre the second time I read it (had to be very familiar with it for an English project), though the end annoyed me.

Pretty much any teen fantasy book out there is on my list. Ones like Blood and Chocolate especially - omgwerewolfies!!11 i wanna b 1 lyk her!!1

I thought Catcher in the Rye was meh, but that's probably because I read it for school, and school nearly always makes things meh.

My mixed feelings about Dickens might belong here - I snored through a third of Great Expectations and never even glanced at the rest, but I loved A Tale of Two Cities and rather like A Christmas Carol. But I know there are people for whom it's the exact opposite.
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:25 pm

cassingtonscholar wrote:This scene ends on page 28! How can you judge a 400 page book after reading less than 28 pages of it!?

:) I think I put down both Wuthering Heights and To Kill A Mockingbird after 3 pages only to fall in love with them years later. You should warn your friends about TGC/NL. My friend warned me that it wouldn't get good until about 30 pages in...I was nearly a third of the way through before I knew I liked it.

I forgot to mention that I hate Ernest Hemingway, especially The Sun Also Rises. I hate his style and characters.

Book-A-Minute wrote:Stock Hemingway Narrating Character

It was in Europe after the war. We were depressed. We drank a lot. We were still depressed.

THE END
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby furbaby » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:58 pm

Jane Austen. Sorry. It's all too trivial for my taste, and nothing much ever happens. Sorry.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Riali » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Wuthering Heights... it just did nothing for me. I read it when i was fourteen or so and went 'bleh' and thought i was too young. but then i read it again a year or so again and still went 'bleh'

Also Franksenstein. I was not scared and it did not have a single likable character.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Laura » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:33 pm

I forgot to mention that I hate Ernest Hemingway, especially The Sun Also Rises. I hate his style and characters.

You and me both! I couldn't stand For Whom the Bell Tolls, and didn't like The Sun Also Rises either. His male characters are never interesting, and his female characters are always portrayed as whiny bitches. Bret in tSAR is the epitome of this.

I've had Eragon recommended to me many times, and I should like it, becasue it's got swords and dragons and all sorts of nifty fantasy stuff. But I got halfway through it and realized there were waaaaay better books out there waiting to be read, so I left it in the dust. Where it belongs.
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:53 pm

furbaby wrote:Jane Austen. Sorry. It's all too trivial for my taste, and nothing much ever happens. Sorry.

It's a good thing you apologized twice because I was planning to beat you up after class? :D You're right but that's what's funny about her and I don't really read her for her plots anyway.

The Collected Work of Jane Austen wrote:Female Lead

I secretly love Male Lead. He must never know.

Male Lead

I secretly love Female Lead. She must never know.

(They find out.)

THE END

...I'm nearly done with the ultra-condensed texts, I swear.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby rats_rox » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:56 pm

LOTR, love the movies, hate the books. 150 pages through and they are still boring! :x
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby furbaby » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:19 pm

The Collected Work of Jane Austen wrote:Female Lead

I secretly love Male Lead. He must never know.

Male Lead

I secretly love Female Lead. She must never know.

(They find out.)

THE END

:killingme:
I rest my case.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Jaya » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Shakespeare + Alice in Wonderland <3 for me.

However, To Kill A Mockingbird is a book I find fairly average, unspectacular, and overrated - just because it's about RACISM doesn't make it good literature. And my opinion is that it isn't awesome literature...It's okay as far as books go. But just ok. :?
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby furbaby » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you about TKAM. Never wrote anything else, did she?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Blossom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:29 pm

I didn't like The Catcher In The Rye until I decided to write an essay on it, which made me totally chang emy mind. It's one of my favourite books now.

I don't like anything by H G Wells really, but i want to:(
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:56 pm

angelofboox wrote:However, To Kill A Mockingbird is a book I find fairly average, unspectacular, and overrated - just because it's about RACISM doesn't make it good literature.

Now it's personal. :P

There are plenty of novels about RACISM. I think this one is amazing because for such a simple story, the characters and setting are so rich and her style is nearly flawless. It’s one of those stories that almost seems to have been born instead of written.

She probably never finished another because how can you live up to that kind of critical and popular acclaim?

Di edit: My own grammar fixed.
Last edited by Mockingbird on Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby Annernanner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Couldn't stand LotR books. Halfway through and they're still at the Prancing Pony. Liked the Hobbit though, wonderful stuff. But the Simiarlian, oi vay. Took one look at that and said "NO"
"It is better to be happy for a moment,
and be burned up with beauty,
than to live forever,
and be bored all the while."

-The Moth, by Don Marquis
Annernanner
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:08 am

Dickens for me. I liked A Tale of Two Cities, and I love the names and the BBC adaptations, but you can really tell while reading Dickens that he was paid by the word.

I also loathe Of Mice and Men. It was the only book I had to study for English during 17 years of eductation that I actually hated.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:32 am

Anyone who hates Catcher in the Rye has almost certainly never been a teenage boy, or if they were they were a happy one.

Heart of Darkness took me about three months to read, I mean it wasnt bad, it was just so hard to read, I only kept going because I felt I had to.
Ive been reading Don Quixote for months, and everytime I do, I seem to make no dent at all in it, even though I think its great. I echo the sentiments about school killing books, I hate Lord of the Flies, even though I know its an amazing book, because of how we studied it. Oh and I dont care for Dickens...at all, and Chaucer is just annoying.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Return to “%s” Other Books