The Republic of Heaven

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire

Talk about other books here

Re: George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire

Postby Mr Anderson » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Pfft, gave it to Ian for his birthday, bet he still hasn't read it. :P
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Panalopy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:20 am

One of my favorite new series. Been waiting for Dance of Dragons for 5 years now. Hbo is currently working on a miniseries, i believe.
Panalopy
Grazer

AOL: cheesewheeljones

Postby Darragh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:26 am

GRRM is going to die before he finishes, he hasn't written an overall story yet for someone to pick up. ~*iguana*~.

Can't wait for the HBO series though.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeah, it looks like a pretty good adaptation. One of my friends, who is from Northern Ireland, said that her father is an extra in the series, which is pretty cool. She also said that the production company put out the call for 'anyone in Northern Ireland with a horse' to come and be in the series, and was really annoyed that she didn't own a horse.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Darragh » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:31 am

Yeah the first book in particular will lend itself well to being a series rather than a film. It's the political stuff that makes the books and that just wouldn't make for a good film.

They have started casting for a second season too so that shows they have confidence in what they have so far.

GRRM has said that he has about 4 chapters to finish in the next book which was meant to release last year so as long as he doesnt come up with something that requires the entire story to be revised (Will probably happen) then it should come out next year.

The last book was such a tease as well ending with lots of questions.... Martin is such a troll.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Mr Anderson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:44 pm

First 15min of the HBO series:

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2011 ... f-thrones/

I have just started book 2 of book 3 .
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Mr Anderson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Just finished watching the 1st episode. I feel like I am about to explode.

I am a fanboi.
IDIOT, n.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Leif » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:54 am

Mr Anderson wrote:Just finished watching the 1st episode. I feel like I am about to explode.

I am a fanboi.

Did you watch the entire first season? Thoughts? I absolutely loved it!
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Mr Anderson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:14 pm

It was brilliance for the greater part. There were the odd weak scene or two here and there but individually they did not detract. Although being male, I would have liked to see at least one battle, budget permitting. I thought doing the Whispering Wood ambush and skipping Tyrion's battle as they did would have worked.

Dance with Dragons preordered. Wish I lived in Germany.
IDIOT, n.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 pm

So, what did people think?

On the whole, I thought it was worth the wait, although I feel that nothing very much happened. It seemed almost as if the whole book was preparation for what would come next. Martin seemed to spend so much time just moving characters around his world so that they could be where he needed them for the next bit of the story.

Spoiler:
Also, if Jon's really dead, absolutely everything I predicted and believed about where the story was heading and how it would end is wrong.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Mr Anderson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Spoiler:
I have severe doubts that he is dead, even if he was Melisandre could still do a Thoros of Myr on him.
IDIOT, n.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby tellthemstories » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 pm

These books are easily the best epic fantasy I have ever read, run in second to HDM in best series I've ever read. Anyone who hasn't picked them up, do so you won't be disappointed! As for Dance with Dragons I really liked it, better than a Feast for crows, but I always thought that The Winds of Winter would be the one that built everything up to a climax, if you think this is a bad cliffhanger just wait until the end of that, I can almost guarantee you'll be ripping your hair out in frustration.
What does it take to make us real?
tellthemstories
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books