The Republic of Heaven

The Zombie Survival Guide/World War Z

Talk about other books here

The Zombie Survival Guide/World War Z

Postby Roll_with_it » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 pm

Anybody read these? They are really fantastic books dealing with the threat of a zombie invasion on earth. It's pure fiction, but the way he presents it, you would be forgiven for believing it were fact.

The first one is basically a handbook for "knowing your enemy and how to deal with it." It introduces the subject and gives it a vivid history.

The second is basically a collection of fictional interviews, each telling a different story of a large scale Human-Zombie war. It's a less imaginative, if more compelling read.

They sound really weird, but they're actually not. They are really so clever, funny and imaginative that they easily surpass anything George A. Romero has done. Check them out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Re: The Zombie Survival Guide/World War Z

Postby Acchon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:33 am

These books are awesome. And if this should happen, thank god I got the books :lol:
My avatar is my daemon Uruvia the wildcat, according to the official move site. Just in case you wanted to know.
Acchon
Gallivespian Spy

Postby aklebury » Sat May 03, 2008 3:37 am

I just finished reading WWZ and I quite liked it, although I thought it was overly cheesy in some parts.
I think it will translate well into a movie though!
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Roll_with_it » Sat May 03, 2008 11:21 pm

What aspects of it did you find cheesy aklebery? I thought that although the stories and details were inspired, the core storyline was pretty weak. It's a fascinating idea though and to quote one reviewer: As a novel it's gripping. As a parable, it's terrifying.

Mod: double post deleted
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby aklebury » Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 am

Um, as far as the bits I found cheesy, it was stuff like the guy who ran the 'retired dog farm' who claimed that he used to hate dogs, but then randomly came across people mistreating that dog and suddenly that was all he cared about. It wasn't so much the change in his outlook (dislike dogs/like dogs) as the fact that there was no reason given for the change that made it seem cheesy.

Other stuff like the guy who pilots submersibles going "If I had nightmares they would be about that. Not that I do have nightmares.... [then something along the lines of] Every night I see them... I mean I would see them (if I had nightmares)".
Basically the fact that he claimed not to have nightmares but supposedly secretly did, just seemed a bit silly.

I did like the character bits in general though, and I think it is a really good, interesting book.
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aurone » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:42 pm

I've read The Zombie Survival Guide, it's a good book. I felt like an idiot at times though cause I was reading in my bed late at night (I always like to read before I go to sleep), and there times I was reading on how to prepare and would start thinking "Oh god, I'm screwed since we don't have...." then remember what I was reading. :lol:
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Diolmhain » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:46 pm

The zombie survival guide could be the most important piece of literature ever written. I don't have the book myself, but i've read bits of it in my friend's brother's house. Thankfully, I know exactly what I'm going to do when the outbreak happens.
Also, Robocop would be useless in a zombie outbreak, as he would get bitten and become super-robo-death-kill-copbie.
(don't ask)
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Return to “%s” Other Books