The Republic of Heaven

Titles.

Talk about other books here

Titles.

Postby Qu Klaani » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Just started reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Hemmingway, to my mind, really has the best names for his books of any I've ever come across. So yeah, a thread about book titles:

What are your favourites? Why? What makes a good title for a book? Is stealing bits of poetry the best way? (the answer to that is yes) and so on and so forth.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Re: Titles.

Postby Jaya » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:47 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:What makes a good title for a book? Is stealing bits of poetry the best way?

Yes. If someone else has already said something and it's awesomely good enough, why change it? I say use it.* I will think of my favourite book titles in due course.

*This does not condone plagiarism.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Mockingbird » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:36 pm

Some of my favorites:

Evocative, out-of-context phrases that give you just enough of a glimpse into a story to make you want to see more. Hemingway is great at these: The Sun Also Rises, "Hills Like White Elephants." Also: Water for Elephants, The Things They Carried, "Drinking Coffee Elsewhere," Interpreter of Maladies.

Inscrutable titles that imply the tone of the book: The lyrical strangeness of A Swiftly Tilting Planet and "The Dark Soul of the Accordion," the oddball humor of So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, the self-conscious bravado of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Direct statements to the reader: "This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona," "How to Tell a True War Story," Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

I think good titles are much more important for short stories just because they have to fight harder to get noticed.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby tyche » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:43 am

I've not read it but i think that Do androids dream of electric sheep? is a brilliant title.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby aklebury » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:52 am

Faulkner's titles are usually great as well: The Sound And The Fury, As I Lay Dying, Light In August, Absalom! Absalom!
And there's something about simplicity that also works quite well I think: Our Town

Wasn't there some study or something a while back that named 'His Dark Materials' as one of the most successful titles based on various factors?
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Mr Anderson » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:03 am

Dances with Wolves, superb name.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:15 pm

I would say titles that kind of sum up what a book is about, but do so in either a lyrical or (and I can't think of a better way to say it apart from) 'hmm'-inducing way.

Zadie Smith's White Teeth is a good title. So are World Without End (by Ken Follett), 100 Years of Solitude and Love In The Time of Cholera (both by Gabriel García Marquez), Here Be Dragons by Sharon K. Penman, He Died With A Felafel In His Hand by John Birmingham, Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (who is really Gillian Rubinstein), We, The Haunted (a young-adult book I read when I was about 12 and the author of which I can't recall), Of Nightingales That Weep (Katherine Paterson's best book, in my opinion), A Moon For the Misbegotten by Eugene O'Neill, Wild Swans by Jung Chang, The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin and The Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Some I like because they perfectly encapsulate the books, others merely for how evocative they are.

My personal favourite is Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” Other Books