The Republic of Heaven

Fun books that don't suck

Talk about other books here

Fun books that don't suck

Postby Mockingbird » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm

I'm looking to lighten up my rather heavy, depressing reading list, but I'd still like to read books that are well-written, or at least written well enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just engaging or "feel good" fiction that doesn't ask too much of you emotionally or intellectually, such as:

About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Chocolat by Joanne Harris
Harry Potter and the ---- by J.K. Rowling
Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Lighter fiction that's wonderfully written in the Jane Austen/Oscar Wilde style would be great but I can live with above mediocre. Writers in that no man's land between pop fiction and literary fiction like John Irving and Amy Tan will be fine too.

P.S. I'm allergic to Stephanie Meyer, Sophie Kinsella, Mitch Albom, Nicholas Sparks, etc. Thanks muchly!
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Re: Fun books that don't suck

Postby Jaya » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm bad at thinking up books, but from looking at the bookshelf in my room I can tentatively suggest these ones I have here:

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams - not everyone's cup of tea and don't think you do science fiction, though I'm not sure it can really be called that.
Notes From A Small Island, Bill Bryson - Dunno if you've read any Bryson? Anyway, non-fiction travel-writing stuff basically filled with him remarking on various Britishisms while he traipses around Great Britain.
You Don't Know Me, David Klass - Uh, this is a sort of teenage novel except just sort of odd but I really really like it. It's about a boy called John. Really light reading.
The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster - Another of my favourites. A kiddy book but no matter how old you are I still think it's pretty awesome.
The Eyre Affair, Jasper Fforde - I haven't read this but it's on my bookshelf. I hear it's good but my mother said she got bored with it. You may have read it though.
The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-Time, Mark Haddon - This is really quick to read and several other sraffies have read it I know, could ask their opinion. It's about a boy called Christopher who has autism (which sounds like it could be depressing but it's not).

Uh, think that's enough recommendations, most of the other books in sight aren't particularly light-reading or...apt, anyway. I shall return with more! Maybe.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby michaelangelo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:38 pm

Discworld, hands down :P Fantastic series.
michaelangelo
Grazer

Postby Soapy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 pm

Definitely go for Bill Bryson, the man is hilarious... Mother Tongue is also good, as well as what Jaya mentioned (talking of, my brother has stolen my copy of Notes From A Small Island. Must get that back.)
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Mockingbird » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:55 pm

michaelangelo wrote:Discworld, hands down :P Fantastic series.

So I hear! Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry them.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams - not everyone's cup of tea and don't think you do science fiction, though I'm not sure it can really be called that.

I've read it and thought it was as fantastic as everyone else. I think you can call it comedy that happens to be science fiction, which I certainly don't mind. It's the same way Pullman found fantasty to be a convenient genre for his purpose...if that makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby Roll_with_it » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:35 am

If it's nice easy Reading you're after, I recommend Jodi Picoult. Ok, so it's Asda (sorry, Wal Mart) literature but they are dammably readable. Start off with the Pact, it's her best and should give you a good idea of her.

OT for a second, have you read any of Lionel Shriver's books? If not, I suggest you try them once you've finished your light Reading phase, they seem right up your street.
"You know Mr Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man..."
Roll_with_it
Gallivespian Spy

Postby bee » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:52 am

Roll_with_it wrote:If it's nice easy Reading you're after, I recommend Jodi Picoult. Ok, so it's Asda (sorry, Wal Mart) literature but they are dammably readable. Start off with the Pact, it's her best and should give you a good idea of her.

I'm also a fan of Jodi Picoult, but The Pact was one of her only books that I couldn't actually get through. For some reason I couldn't get into it. My Sister's Keeper was one of my favourites, and so is Tenth Circle. She does use the same general scheme for every book, but I think she does pick engaging topics to apply her scheme to.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby aklebury » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:24 am

P.G Wodehouse's 'Jeeves' novels/short stories are good for a quick easy fun read.

Also, because it's on my floor at the moment and I like it a lot - James M. Cain's 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' - again relatively quick to read and good pulpy fun
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby zemarl » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
michaelangelo wrote:Discworld, hands down :P Fantastic series.

So I hear! Unfortunately, my library doesn't carry them.

that library is a failure (unless it's a research library. then it's just not my problem).

hippolyte's island by barbara hodgson, the princess bride... i don't generally read small books, they're over too quickly. perhaps with that in mind i should watch this space.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby Mockingbird » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:31 pm

aklebury wrote:P.G Wodehouse's 'Jeeves' novels/short stories are good for a quick easy fun read.

Ooooer, I forgot the Edwardian writers existed! And they are supposed to be light and funny in general, right? Any particular novel I should start with?

Slightly OT: Has anyone read Evelyn Waugh? Is his satire on the darker side?

that library is a failure

Too right you are!

I'll definitely check some of these out. Thanks, sraffles!
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

Postby aklebury » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 am

Mockingbird wrote:
aklebury wrote:P.G Wodehouse's 'Jeeves' novels/short stories are good for a quick easy fun read.

Ooooer, I forgot the Edwardian writers existed! And they are supposed to be light and funny in general, right? Any particular novel I should start with?

Maybe try one of the collections of short stories rather than one of the novels? I've only read a few, but I don't think it really matters where you start to be honest...
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:40 pm

Mockingbird wrote:Slightly OT: Has anyone read Evelyn Waugh? Is his satire on the darker side?

I've read Scoop. It's a lovely satire on journalism (as a sort-of journalist, I appreciated it) although it's a little dated. It's pretty light, although I don't know how representative of his work it is.

I'd also recommend anything by Rumer Godden or Adele Geras (they're mainly YA and children's authors, though), in particular Godden's The Greengage Summer and Geras' Tower Room trilogy and The Girls in the Velvet Frame (which was my favourite book between the ages of seven and 12 - until I read Northern Lights). I think Geras and Godden a writing style that can best be described as 'luminous'. They write lyrically, gently and beautifully, in my opinion, although I'm not sure if you wanted to read YA books.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby furbaby » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
Ooooer, I forgot the Edwardian writers existed! And they are supposed to be light and funny in general, right?

For a dark and funny Edwardian writer, try the short stories of "Saki" (H.H. Munro).
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Sibylle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Let's see...

Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield and its sequels are nothing short of wonderful. Just don't read them on the bus, they're hilarious. I jotted down so many funny moments it took most of my notebook. Just one example to whet your appetite :

Ask Robert whether he thinks I had better wear my Blue or my Black-and-gold at Lady B.'s. He says that either will do. Ask if he can remember which one I wore last time. He cannot. Mademoiselle says it was the Blue, and offers to make slight alterations to Black-and-gold which will, she says, render it unrecognisable. I accept, and she cuts large pieces out of the back of it. I say Pas trop décolletée, and she replies intelligently Je comprends, Madame ne désire pas se voir nue au salon.
(Query : Have not the French sometimes a very strange way of expressing themselves ?)

I don't know if you read French, this passage is only funny if you understand what they're saying, obviously. I can be translated by "I say Not too much cleavage, and she replies intelligently I understand, Madam does not want to see herself naked in the living-room" which is a bit silly translated in English as it's such a French way of speaking but here you go. Not every single instance of humour is in French, though, in fact it's one of the very few times it is.

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons remains the only book by her still in print, and it's a shame. The publishing company Penguin redesigned its cover earlier this year and I just love it, it looks like a comic. Stella mocks the novels written in the 19th century, especially those by Thomas Hardy and the Brontës : she mocks the cows, the countryside and farmers' habits in these books. It's an excellent parody, the characters are so extravagant they're unforgettable. The movie adaptation is quite good too ! (starring Kate Beckinsale before she became famous)

The Pursuit of Love and its sequel Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford won't require much of your attention : it's light, funny and cruel and really clever. It's a disguised autobiography. I don't know if you know much about the Mitford sisters, but reading a little something of their lives might add to your enjoyment of these novels (and while I'm at it, I strongly recommend Jessica's autobiography Hons and Rebels along with her letters edited by Peter Sussman, perhaps for later, they're not light but super interesting).

That's it for me ! I would really like to try Neil Gaiman, I thought I might start with Neverwhere as it seems to be a favourite among fans but I'll add Coraline to my list as well (am I losing my mind or is there an adaptation coming ?). And I'm the biggest Potter fan there is, but I can see the books are already on your list :)
There's just one thing that's getting in the way,
When we go up to bed you're just no good it's such a shame.
I look into your eyes, I want to get to know you,
And then you make this noise, and it's apparent it's all over.
It's not fair and I think you're really mean,
I think you're really mean, I think you're really mean.
Oh you're supposed to care, but you never make me scream,
You never make me scream.
Sibylle
Gyptian

Postby Darragh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:45 pm

The Miseducation Years: Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

Light hearted tale of posh kids in Dublin. Very funny though I don't think it's reached far beyond these shores in terms of popularity.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Return to “%s” Other Books