The Republic of Heaven

Writers on writers (and other things)

Talk about other books here

Writers on writers (and other things)

Postby Mockingbird » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 am

*spams*

I love reading the opinions of great writers on other great writers as they are so incisive...especially the insults. Some I enjoy:

The great American prose war:

Faulkner on Hemingway: "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

Hemingway on Faulkner: "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

Oscar Wilde on Henry James: "Mr. Henry James writes fiction as if it were a painful duty."

Mark Twain on Jane Austen:

"Jane Austen? Why I go so far as to say that any library is a good library that does not contain a volume by Jane Austen. Even if it contains no other book."

"Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone."

"To me his prose is unreadable--like Jane Austin's [sic]. No there is a difference. I could read his prose on salary, but not Jane's. Jane is entirely impossible. It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death."

:D

Any favorite quotes by writers on other writers, writing, books, life? They don't have to be rude...but they're better if they are. :P

...who thought "bing" when reading the thread title?
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Re: Writers on writers (and other things)

Postby Bellerophon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:53 am

"He's a great writer. If I didn't think so I wouldn't have tried to kill him... I was the champ and when I read his stuff I knew he had something. So I dropped a heavy glass skylight on his head at a drinking party. But you can't kill the guy. He's not human."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, on Ernest Hemingway
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Return to “%s” Other Books