The Republic of Heaven

The Wonderland and Looking Glass Appreciation Thread

Talk about other books here

The Wonderland and Looking Glass Appreciation Thread

Postby AncientOfDays » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:23 pm

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
Through the Looking Glass.

Pure nonsensical genius. My most favourite books of all time. If you like them as well, post here!
"This is ridiculous!"
"This, madam, is Versailles..."
AncientOfDays
Gallivespian Spy

Re: The Wonderland and Looking Glass Appreciation Thread

Postby bee » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:55 pm

I love these books. They are wonderful. :) I brought only about 6 or 7 books with me from home when I moved--one is Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass (together) and one is the complete works of Lewis Carroll. They're delightful.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:42 pm

In an article I wrote some time ago and which is available in full at http://www.cereswunderkind.net I wrote:You could say that Lewis Carroll wasn't a proper grown-up; but a child in adult's clothing. He never lost his delight in games and puzzles. An extraordinarily intelligent philosopher and mathematician, he realised early on that a child-like wonder in and curiosity about the way the world works were the keys to his genius. These days we'd call him a geek or a nerd. He asked the right questions - the kind of questions which a child asks unafraid and an adult is too self-conscious to express. After all, adults know everything, don't they?

So - go ask Alice. Does she defer to adults? No - "You're nothing but a pack of cards!" she says at the end of Alice in Wonderland, taking control of the whole ridiculous situation which adult systems have constructed. "Off with her head!" the Queen cries, but Alice does not submit. In fact, she pays very little attention to the advice offered to her by any adult or adult figure during the course of the story. If a bottle says "Drink Me" then she drinks its contents because she wants to, not because she's been told to (or told not to).

This was something new. Children's stories of the time were mostly didactic - full of little morals and homilies for the instruction of their juvenile readers. Alice turns these lessons on their head. Here's an example. First, the original:

Isaac Watts - Idleness

'Tis the voice of the sluggard; I heard him complain,
You have wak'd me too soon, I must slumber again.

Oh yes - time to get up and get busy. There's a British Empire to build and run. Now for Carroll:

'Tis the voice of the lobster; I heard him declare,
You have baked me too brown, I must sugar my hair.

There's something about the word "lobster" that makes Carroll's version irresistible. Here's the immensely tedious Isaac Watts again:

How doth the little busy bee
Improve each shining hour,
And gather honey all the day
From ev'ry open flow'r?

And Carroll's riposte:

How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
With gently smiling jaws!

An ounce of ridicule, as they say...
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Philharmonic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:52 am

well, i think the storyline isnt too bad, but the way its written-or maybe its because im not into the old fashioned books at all.

i can't believe you actually made an appreciation thread, aod

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby Mockingbird » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm

if only... wrote:i can't believe you actually made an appreciation thread, aod

Yes, how dare you leave off agonizing endlessly over playing Will to post something else? :wink:

Thanks for that, Peter! I had read he was parodying didactic work of the time but I never knew which. From what little I've read of his life, I wonder if he didn't walk a fine line between child-like wonder and a state of crippling regression (still better than pedophilia!). J.M. Barrie was another but he had good reasons.

Favorite Alice quote:

"It'll be no use their putting their heads down and saying 'Come up again, dear!' I shall only look up and say 'Who am I then? Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I'll come up: if not, I'll stay down here till I'm somebody else'..."
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby AncientOfDays » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm

i can't believe you actually made an appreciation thread, aod

Well, you ought to believe it. I can't spend all of my life on the Will thread. Break free and live! You should start a Transformers thread, if you like that so much (that's not an insult, by the way; Transformers is a brilliant film).

And, just to be controversial, I'm not fond of the Disney version at all. I think it's mainly responsible for people thinking the Alice books are girly. Example: when a boy at school asked me what I was reading and I said, "Alice in Wonderland", he said, "That's a bit gay isn't it?" Mind you, the word "gay" is so overused these days that it's lost all meaning.

Jonathan Miller's obscure 1966 version is my favourite adaptation of them all, but I quite like the Hallmark one with the extravagant budget and ace soundtrack. I'm itching to see Tim Burton's version, though.
"This is ridiculous!"
AncientOfDays
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Mockingbird wrote:Thanks for that, Peter! I had read he was parodying didactic work of the time but I never knew which. From what little I've read of his life, I wonder if he didn't walk a fine line between child-like wonder and a state of crippling regression (still better than pedophilia!). J.M. Barrie was another but he had good reasons.

I'm sure that if we saw someone today behaving towards a little girl as Lewis Carroll did with Alice Liddell we'd say he was grooming her. :evil:

Isaac Watts wasn't all bad, by the way. He wrote Oh God Our Help In Ages Past from which I once took the lines:

Time, like an ever rolling stream,
Bears all its sons away;

for a story title.
Peter

Postby aklebury » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:05 am

AncientOfDays wrote:And, just to be controversial, I'm not fond of the Disney version at all. I think it's mainly responsible for people thinking the Alice books are girly.

If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend Jan Svankmajer's 1988 adaption 'Alice' - it takes on the novel from a completely new persepctive. Alice is from a lower-class family (presumably - it's never actually stated) and the inhabitants of wonderland are made up of old decaying or dead things like stuffed animals, skulls, bits of rotton meat. The caterpillar is an old sock with buttons for eyes - it's very imaginative.

I really like bizzare adaptions of Alice in Wonderland - looking foward to Burton's film :D
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby AncientOfDays » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:33 am

Ah, how could I have forgotten that version? I finally managed to watch it on youtube after waiting ages to see it. It's brilliant, pure genius.
"This is ridiculous!"
AncientOfDays
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Peter » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Here's a Mervyn Peake Illustration for you:

Peter

Postby AncientOfDays » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:32 pm

That's quite an interesting illustration. Alice seems a little feral in it--probably the eyes.
"This is ridiculous!"
AncientOfDays
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Mockingbird » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:37 pm

It is an interesting take on her, not quite the same as mine. The real Alice for you, photographed by Lewis Carroll:

Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Return to “%s” Other Books