The Republic of Heaven

Uglies Series

Talk about other books here

Uglies Series

Postby Stelmaria7 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:58 am

feel free to talk about the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld and any other books by Scott here.

Uglies is about this girl Tally Youngblood. its 2034 or some time in the future where everyone becomes pretty(an opperation that make you beyond supermodel gorigous with no sickness and almost super human.) when they turn 16. Tally has to make a choose of turning in her friend Shay (who runs away instead of choosing to have the operation) or not becoming pretty and staying Uglie forever.

the other books in the series are Pretties, Specials, Extra's (which is a companion novel like Lyr'as Oxford is to HDM) Bogus to Bubbly (I have head its simular to The Book of Dust in the same sence that it talk about how he came up with the idea and explains some of the ideas of the series)

Check out Scott's Website for more information
http://www.scottwesterfeld.com/books/uglies.htm

also if anyone knows where I can get Bogus to Bubbly it would be greatly appreciated.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Re: Uglies Series

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 pm

I love Scott Westerfeld's writing, although I prefer his two-part series Peeps and The Last Days to the Uglies series. I think he's one of the best young-adult writers of the past five years. His talent, for me, lies in the fact that he treats his readers with respect - that is, he discusses things that are important to teenagers respectfully, but mocks these things too. (This is especially apparent in The Last Days, where
Spoiler:
it's the end of the world, but the heroes are more interested in getting a Fender Strat guitar. Readers can see the silliness of this attitude, but in the end, the heroes' obsession with music saves the world.)
I'm finding it hard to articulate what I mean, but I see parallels between Westerfeld and Joss Whedon, the creator of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series, who gets what it is to be a teenager and can be completely silly at the same time as being emotionally complex and deadly serious.

Stelmaria7 wrote:also if anyone knows where I can get Bogus to Bubbly it would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine (in Australia) ordered it from her local book shop. Most good book shops will order in books for you if you know the full title or ISBN. Otherwise, there's always Amazon.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” Other Books