The Republic of Heaven

What are some decent audiobooks read by famous voices?

Talk about other books here

Postby Will » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:58 pm

"Hello Jess, I'm Bri-" .. no, it doesn't work. And I thought we had an agreement. :(
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Jameson » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:08 pm

Will wrote:"Hello Jess, I'm Bri-" .. no, it doesn't work. And I thought we had an agreement. :(

You would have to gain about 20 stone.
Well, are you a celebrity historian yet?
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby viper reincarnated » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:11 pm

"Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it."

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
viper reincarnated
Armoured Bear

Postby Max » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:36 am

David F wrote:Well quite. He's Stephen Fry, which puts him beyond reproach. His existence justifies his existence. I had in mind the current glut of adverts, but his time is finally coming around and he's taking it for all he can. He should do every awards ceremony going. He should run the country. He should run the world. He should've run the marathon.

This picture alone would justify his assumption of the simple-yet-elegant title 'God', forgetting whoever had first dibs:

Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby David F » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:24 pm

Bag Of Bones by Stephen King. He reads it 'imself, and reads it well.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:09 pm

I'm reviving this thread because I want to.

In the evenings, I'm currently listening to Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers. I've listened to it several times before, but I really enjoy this reading, and Anton Lesser (he also narrates Sally Lockhart) does the voices so well.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby writteninveggies » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:06 pm

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't know how I'm feeling about the naration...
writteninveggies
Witch

AOL: writteninveggies

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:12 pm

I think audio books are good for people that want to get through alot of books and are not a fast readers. Personally i limit my audio book buying to non fiction, there's nothing like falling alseep to an audio book.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby David F » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 am

Brave New World. It's read in a very cheery sort of way which 1) kind of makes sense and 2) cheers me up.

Before that I listened to the two middle Lockhart books (liberry doesn't have the other two). Mr Pullman, you shameless pinko Commie! If I think I have the concentration, I'm going to give Proust a go.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Angel to follow » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:36 pm

I've got star wars on audio but i've never listened to it. I'm not a huge fan of audio books.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby rats_rox » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:43 pm

I have tons of books and audio books coz I fall asleep listening to audio books, at the moment I am listening to watership down.
Morrible: Yes, yes, of course! Oh, You must be Miss Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have! *Sees Elphaba, snorts*...And you must be.

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter. Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.

Elphaba: So, no matter how shallow and self-absorbed you pretend to be...

Fiyero: Excuse me, there's no pretense here. I happen to be genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow.
rats_rox
Armoured Bear

Postby Kyrillion » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:40 pm

Oh pur-lease 'dragon of Heaven' audio books are much more than stories for people who don't read that good. I love 'em because I can draw while I listen and also in their own right- it's a different experience from reading. And before you ask, I read TOO damn fast. I run out of books quickly. Also my mother is an avid fan of audio books ever sice a detatched retina has impaired her vision.

Anyhoo, I just discovered a site which has free audio versions of books which are in the public domain (ie, out of copywrite) available to download to Ipod. I'm still sitting on the fence over file-sharing et al, so I was trilled. I've just listened to Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster (I understand it's something of an American classic) because I'm into/curious about pre-1950s books for girls right now, having read a very good book called Good Girl Messages by Deorah O'Keefe.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby Ian » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:51 pm

Yay. Revived thread :) Audiobooks rock, as I've previously said. I'm listening to Artemis Fowl (book 1), read by Nathanial Parker (proper voices) for the first time. Only ever had the crummy abridged version before. It is amazing, he makes a work of art.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

What are some decent audiobooks read by famous voices?

Postby JimmyJamesToo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

"The Areas of My Expertise" by John Hodgman is the best audiobook I've ever listened to.
JimmyJamesToo
Grazer

Re: What are some decent audiobooks read by famous voices?

Postby Palagrin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:32 pm

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness read by Ian Mckellen. They're awesome.
Palagrin
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books