The Republic of Heaven

Artemis Fowl

Talk about other books here

Postby Aimee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 pm

Read The Lost Colony and love it! Imp 1 rules and I love the way Artemis finally finds a girl who can almost [size=12][/size] beat him! But can someone tell me the size of the farieies because I find it hard to imagine their size!
The worlds a mess. And I just need to rule it.
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Somewhat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:33 am

They're just over a meter high - about half the size of a grown man. Holly is shorter, just under a meter.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Jez » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:16 pm

ateenagerconfused wrote:Read The Lost Colony and love it! Imp 1 rules and I love the way Artemis finally finds a girl who can almost beat him!

Yep, No1 is definitely the best new character. I really didn't like Minerva though. A second child genius? It doesn't seem plausible.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Jaya » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:07 pm

I didn't like her at first, but she grew on me. Nobody but the best for Artemis Fowl! But it does sort of take away from his total awesome uniqueness.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Aimee » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:42 pm

I just think it was the writers way of trying to make the book less sexist saying that boys are smarter than girls. At the beginning I think Minevra is a spoilt brat but at the end I really like her!
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Jez » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:38 am

I'd disagree with that. I never got the impression that the book was being sexist by making its resident child genius male. Artemis Fowl is supposed to be unique in intelligence... Minerva does take away from that, since she's basically a female clone of him. Not very interesting. Indeed, her only function apart from being a foil to Artemis is so he can trip over all his teenage hormones for a few cheap laughs. Being a love-interest type plot device is quite demeaning, actually, so far from making the books less sexist, I think she perpetuates a stereotype.

You want a strong female character, look no further than Holly. Holly rocks. Sure, she's not a genius, but she's bright and witty and she can handle even Artemis. They have a mutual respect for each other.

I don't think a new female character needs to be a child prodigy in order to get on equal footing with Artemis. In fact, that seemed to me a rather clumsy way of going about it. I much preferred the relationship dynamic between Artemis and Holly.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Jaya » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:04 pm

Or Artemis and some ditzy girl just because his raging hormones make him feel so. Artemis and a not-so-genius girl. What? It'd make me laugh.
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Aimee » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:57 pm

I don't think that the book is sexist. I think it rocks! I just though that a big puplisher guy must have come up to the author at one point and told him to put a HUMAN girl Artemis's own age in. Personally my favourite character is Foaly because he reminds me of me! (Apart from him being a centaur and being VERY smart!)
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Riali » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 am

Personally I found Minerva a welcome addition... Artemis needed someone in his life to compete with on that level, and the series needed a romantic vein.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Lyra_B_S » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 am

You want a strong female character, look no further than Holly. Holly rocks. Sure, she's not a genius, but she's bright and witty and she can handle even Artemis. They have a mutual respect for each other.

I don't think a new female character needs to be a child prodigy in order to get on equal footing with Artemis. In fact, that seemed to me a rather clumsy way of going about it. I much preferred the relationship dynamic between Artemis and Holly.[/quote]

Exactly. I wait for the Greek translation of the book.
AF books rock!!!
Lyra_B_S
Grazer

Postby Savvy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Wow, you have no idea how happy I was when I saw this thread.

Everyone should read Artemis Fowl, and even though it's aimed at younger kids, even adults can enjoy the series - who doesn't love boy criminal masterminds, fairies, dwarves, globins, and centaur tech-savvy operators? You'd have to be crazy not to love it.

Ooh, when Colfer was on tour in the US, I got my books signed, and he is the most amazing person ever. :D
Savvy
Grazer

Postby Luca » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:26 pm

Quick idiots guide to Artemis Fowl, for err... this idiot... please.
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby Savvy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:32 pm

molotov wrote:Quick idiots guide to Artemis Fowl, for err... this idiot... please.

I think I pretty much told you the entire story when I mentioned: "boy criminal masterminds, fairies, dwarves, globins, and centaur tech-savvy operators". That ALONE should get you driving to the bookstore and buying the five AF books....

Book 1: Artemis Fowl
2: The Artic Incident
3: The Eternity Code
4: The Opal Deception
5: The Lost Colony
Savvy
Grazer

Postby Ian » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:35 pm

Savvy wrote:When Colfer was on tour in the US, I got my books signed, and he is the most amazing person ever. :D

I spent an hour talking to him in person last year.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Silverfist » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 pm

I read the first one, and it tickled my gag reflex. (Means DIDN'T LIKE IT :x )
And God said:
"Let there be rock."
And there was Led Zeppelin.
Silverfist
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: Oceanus+Mactus

Postby Stelmaria7 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:27 pm

I like it because of the farie element but the demon thing was cool. Minerva was disapointing. He souldn't have added that part in because it totaly missed the point of the book. Nothing really started untill halfway throught.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Re: Artemis Fowl

Postby particle23 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:07 am

It's been a while since I read the AF books but they were hilariously entertaining. (was it the dwarf that had a flatulence problem?!)
I have just started on And Another Thing.... I`m only a couple of chapters in and hope I will not be too disappointed. I love Colfer and I love Adams, but which one is best? There`s only one way to find out... FIGHT!
(U.K TV reference there! My kids adore Harry Hill :wink: )
"We have to build the Republic of Heaven where we are, because for us, there is no elsewhere."
particle23
Grazer

Return to “%s” Other Books