The Republic of Heaven

Ender's Game

Talk about other books here

Postby Numinar » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:47 am

Enders Game is a classic, I really enjoyed it. If you like it then you should read the parallel novels about Bean; Enders Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of a Giant. I dont advise reading Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. Those cant really be put in the same class at all. The characters have the same names but there are no other links to Ender's Game.
Morituri Nolumnus Mori
(We who are about to die don't want to)
-The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett
Numinar
Zalif

Postby Grumman » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:13 am

Numinar wrote:Enders Game is a classic, I really enjoyed it. If you like it then you should read the parallel novels about Bean; Enders Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of a Giant. I dont advise reading Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. Those cant really be put in the same class at all. The characters have the same names but there are no other links to Ender's Game.

I mostly agree, except that I would recommend the full two series; Ender's and Bean's. You must start with Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, which start each series. The latter is a story parallel to the former one, with strong overlap, and described from the point of view of Bean, a different character. Then each series develops differently. Ender goes on to colonize the Galaxy, and he has to face new scientific and ethical problems (most interesting!). Bean, on the other hand remains on Earth, and has to face his childhood enemy as world geopolitics evolve towards a common universal govenment. Both series are different, address different issues, are extremely well written, and have a lot to say.

P.S.: I'm most grateful to Anoria (from this forum), who introduced me to the Scott Card novels.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Re: Ender's Game

Postby krebbe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:15 am

Just finished Xenocide and liked it OK, although it didn't really have much of a dramatic plot arc. It was enough to keep me interested in reading the rest of the series, though.

Next on the list is either Shadow of the Hegemon in the Bean series or Children of the Mind in the Ender series (or another chronologically-challenged recent interquel).
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Re: Ender's Game

Postby Peter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:30 pm

krebbe wrote:Just finished Xenocide and liked it OK, although it didn't really have much of a dramatic plot arc. It was enough to keep me interested in reading the rest of the series, though.

Next on the list is either Shadow of the Hegemon in the Bean series or Children of the Mind in the Ender series (or another chronologically-challenged recent interquel).

Be aware that IMNSHO the quality falls away rapidly as the series progress. Think Dune.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Return to “%s” Other Books