The Republic of Heaven

What were some of the reasons why you enjoyed the book?

Discuss the opening book of the trilogy

What were some of the reasons why you enjoyed the book?

Postby appleturnover » Wed May 04, 2005 12:27 am

Personally, I loved the way each chapter kept you wanting more. But why did YOU like it:?:
appleturnover
Grazer

Postby Ian » Wed May 04, 2005 6:45 pm

Because at the time it was the best book I had ever read, and I couldn't put it down. It was a thrilling plot that was well constructed, and never made me bored.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby daemons-master » Thu May 05, 2005 7:43 pm

there was always something that you didn't expect on nearly every chapter
If you can't do something straight away then it's not worth doing
daemons-master
Zalif

Location: Somewhere in the universe, in a galaxy, on a planet called.....Earth

Postby arisnoe » Mon May 09, 2005 2:23 am

It made me think about a lot of things...it was intelligently written and the characters and the whole idea of daemons were really captivating.
***james***
arisnoe
Grazer

Postby Townie » Mon May 09, 2005 12:15 pm

Ahh, that magical time - first reading NL. Time stops. All things are NL. Dumbstruck. It was better than Jackanory.
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby Crazy Bear Mc.Gubbins » Mon May 09, 2005 3:08 pm

That's cause Jackanory sucked ass xD

I liked it because it was the first book that really made me believe it was possible for ordinary people to do extraordinary things. Most books try and give out that message and just come off looking unbelievable.
Andrew Marr is one of many public figures somewhat bizarrely alleged by conspiracy theorist David Icke to be a shape-shifting reptilian.

-Wikipedia ftw.
Crazy Bear Mc.Gubbins
Witch

Postby Danny Barefoot » Wed May 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Remember that thread about Will taking on Harry Potter? At various points he was taking on the Animorphs and 600 Agent Smiths. Something about that boy and the writing behind him makes you think he could do nearly anything. Mysteriously possessing the same quality without being very efficent at kicking arse makes Lyra even more impressive. Give her an hour with Hitler, and she could convince him to annex his country to England.
"The purpose of clarification is not to make things clear. It is to put oneself in the clear."
-Sir Humphrey Appleby

Want to read some fanfiction? Not much HDM, but I try;
http://www.fanfiction.net/~dannybarefoot
Danny Barefoot
Armoured Bear

AOL: duncan@atkinson.uk.com

Postby Somac » Wed May 11, 2005 10:37 pm

The book had well developed character and each book had you sitting there at the end, wondering what happens next. In the two days it took me to read the series, I was jumping back and forth between home and the bookstore..I love that feeling, when reading.
Somac
Grazer

AOL: EO+Somac

Postby clarion » Thu May 12, 2005 2:36 am

Because it's great!
Those pigs are going through hell.
And my tastebuds are going to heaven!
clarion
Angel

AOL: busalooey

Postby maneki neko » Tue May 17, 2005 1:00 pm

I like the idea of Faerie.

And philosophical bears.
So that imagination and memory are but one thing,
which for diverse considerations hath diverse names
maneki neko
Gyptian

Postby cohen » Sun May 29, 2005 1:29 am

I loved the originality of it all. Every step you took there was another thing that noone had ever heard of just staring you in the face waiting to be discovered at a later place in the book like the panserborne and Dust.
this space is reserved for people with ADD to stare at
cohen
Grazer

Postby 0xbelacquax0 » Tue May 31, 2005 8:12 pm

If i was to be honest i only read the book because it was set in the far north (a place i have had a real passion for as long as i can remember) but then as i kept reading it, the magic of daemons and the spunky character of lyra got me hooked!
dont expect anythin great coz i dont understand this, ok? im only doin this coz i luuuuurve these books!
0xbelacquax0
Grazer

Postby Blackdragon » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:05 am

The entire character development. The way Lyra and Will fought at the beginning, and then for anyone who hasn't finished all just say it was a weird transformation.

I also like it for the same reason a lot of people have been saying. It kept you wanting more and more. The fact that he could put so many good writing techniques into one trilogy is amazing.

The most important thing I liked is that the whole book was about fighting back against the authority, and even though the odds are against you, you fight on because it is what you believe in.
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby icytoast » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 am

I liked the fact that important characters actually died in it. Besides the excellent plot and all. And it attacked religion.
icytoast
Angel

AOL: MrIcyToast

Postby Blackdragon » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:39 pm

Yes, that is a good part about it too icy. In a lot of movies that are out lately none of the main characters die so whenever they get in to tough situations you don't worry about them dying because you know they won't. The only person I wish didn't die was Lee because he was a cool guy and he reminded me of my own dad( harsh sometimes but always loving). I do think John Parry should have stayed alive a little bit longer though, but then eventually die.

It is good that he attacked religion also because the way we look at religion is a little out there.
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby David F » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:38 am

The opening is so damn perfect.

The bit just before Lyra gets to Roger - a zeppelin and some witches attacking some armoured bears. And not once did I question it. Now that's writing.
David F
Witch

Location: Although many of us live in our own personal Wales, I also live in the very real geographic Wales.

Postby Blackdragon » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:52 am

David F wrote:The opening is so damn perfect.

The bit just before Lyra gets to Roger - a zeppelin and some witches attacking some armoured bears. And not once did I question it. Now that's writing.

Well said. If it was written bad that would sound extremely stupid.
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby bribitribbit » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:16 am

That is a really good question. I think, for me, it's because the book revolves around Lyra, moreso than the other two. I love Lyra; she's now on the top of my list of favorite female characters in literature.

Also the writing was so good that I actually had dreams about the next chapter. If you don't call that a good book, then you're seriously demented and/or didn't actually read the books.
Brittney
"All for one, one for all, slightly less for people we don't like, and a little bit more for me..." -Monty Python's Spamalot
"I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them."
-Jane Austen

Well, I think I'm a lot nicer than what my signature says about me.
bribitribbit
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: mioneron4ever
AOL: DobbyLuvsCMnkys

Postby icytoast » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:22 am

HDMisgreat wrote:Yes, that is a good part about it too icy. In a lot of movies that are out lately none of the main characters die so whenever they get in to tough situations you don't worry about them dying because you know they won't. The only person I wish didn't die was Lee because he was a cool guy and he reminded me of my own dad( harsh sometimes but always loving). I do think John Parry should have stayed alive a little bit longer though, but then eventually die.
That's what I mean when I mention characters dying. We connect to characters because they are so believable. Take Lee for instance. He's in it for money. He has an epiphany, and then makes his efforts for Lyra. In doing so, he dies for her/her cause. We can connect to this, and thus, we are much more affected and also through their dying we connect in that they are mortal as we are.
Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends.
icytoast
Angel

AOL: MrIcyToast

Postby Blackdragon » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:12 pm

I think it is safe to say that Lee and Lyra are both memorable characters.

I also like how he mixed a lot of different genre types into it. i know it is a fantasy book but he also made it like a love story and a story of courage...etc.
Blackdragon
Witch

Return to “%s” The Golden Compass / Northern Lights