The Republic of Heaven

Lobotomize me, Captain!

Discuss the opening book of the trilogy

Lobotomize me, Captain!

Postby Undestined » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:32 am

Today we were listening to a radio show about the trans-orbital lobotomy in school. One person who underwent the lobotomy said something about being removed from his soul, which made me wonder:

Was the practice of severing at all based on the TOL?

I know that Lord Asrial used castration as an analogy, but that might just be because the TOL didn't exist in Lyra's world. I never really thought you could equate your testicles with your soul anyway.[/list]
(The Sraffie Formerly Known as Zodiac)
Undestined
Armoured Bear

Re: Lobotomize me, Captain!

Postby Soapy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:17 am

Zodiac wrote:I never really thought you could equate your testicles with your soul anyway.[/list]

No, but you can certainly equate your genitals with your daemon, as I have said before I'm sure.

Would you like to explain more about the TOL?
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Somewhat » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:54 am

Lobotomy: Surgical interruption of nerve tracts to and from the frontal lobe of the brain; often results in marked cognitive and personality changes.

Sounds interesting. Messing with the brain in any way is usually very altering.

Can you please repeat for my ignorant being how genitals are connected with daemons, Sophie?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Soapy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 pm

moonflash wrote:Lobotomy: Surgical interruption of nerve tracts to and from the frontal lobe of the brain; often results in marked cognitive and personality changes.

Yes I know what a lobotomy is generally, but I meant specifics.

Can you please repeat for my ignorant being how genitals are connected with daemons, Sophie?

It's right here
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Undestined » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:53 pm

The Trans-Orbital Lobotomy is a personality-altering invasive brain surgery also known as the icepick lobtomy. In it, a surgeon rolls back the patient's eyelids, inserts icepicks into the eye socket, breaks through to the frontal lobe, and moves the icepicks around, severing passages within the brain.

Ideally, this procedure makes people less emotional, but it often created vegetables, or killed the patient.

The operation was common in the 1950s and 60s in the US. Originally, it was intended to treat mental illness, but later it was used to change personalities.

The entire operation took less than 10 minutes.
(The Sraffie Formerly Known as Zodiac)
Undestined
Armoured Bear

Postby Will » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:49 pm

I thought of lobotomies when I read NL; mostly I think because I was doing A Streetcar Named Desire at that time and the writer, Tennesse Williams, had never been able to forgive himself for allowing his sister to be lobotomised. Horrible thing.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Somewhat » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Zodiac wrote:The Trans-Orbital Lobotomy is a personality-altering invasive brain surgery also known as the icepick lobtomy. In it, a surgeon rolls back the patient's eyelids, inserts icepicks into the eye socket, breaks through to the frontal lobe, and moves the icepicks around, severing passages within the brain.

Ideally, this procedure makes people less emotional, but it often created vegetables, or killed the patient.

The operation was common in the 1950s and 60s in the US. Originally, it was intended to treat mental illness, but later it was used to change personalities.

The entire operation took less than 10 minutes.

That sounds absolutely horrible! Didn't people realise that sort of operation would affect the brain really badly?
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Will » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Well, that was rather the point. It was often used to silence awkquard people. Docile patients instead of active ones.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:25 pm

Will wrote:Well, that was rather the point. It was often used to silence awkquard people. Docile patients instead of active ones.

See One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Stargirl » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:37 pm

It sounds really pleasant. *shudder* I do see how it could be compared to HDM though, like when Lyra found the child who's daemon had been cut off, he was so lost and confused, not quite a vegetable, but i can see the similarities.

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby Vicinity of Obscenity » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:21 am

Well a lobotomy may not even be close to what PP was trying to get at, but considering the knowledge he had to fall back on to describe the procedure in Book I, it may have been all he could use.
I feel refreshed now that my eyes aren't exploding out of their sockets!
HORRAY Beer!
Vicinity of Obscenity
Angel

Postby Angel to follow » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:51 pm

That sounds absolutely horrible! Didn't people realise that sort of operation would affect the brain really badly?

Unfortunately, it has been proven(can't remeber the name of the experiment) that people would actually shock another person with lethal amounts of electricity just because a man in a white coat said it was O.K.
People can be really gullible, like the german public with the concentration camps I guess.If you think about the Gobblers and what they were doing, the employees for instance,(Like the nurse who gives Lyra the doll)Was she evil or just believed in what she had been told?
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Soapy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:00 pm

angel to follow wrote:

Unfortunately, it has been proven(can't remeber the name of the experiment) that people would actually shock another person with lethal amounts of electricity just because a man in a white coat said it was O.K.

The Stanley Milgram experiment into Obedience to Authority.

See here
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Angel to follow » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:08 pm

wow yeah thats it.Sorry I didn't read that thread, its taking me a while to catch up.
Great minds think alike I guess.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Soapy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:22 pm

angel to follow wrote:Sorry I didn't read that thread, its taking me a while to catch up.

That's all right, nobody else did ;)
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Angel to follow » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:07 pm

awwww hermit. lol

Do you know the more you explore this book the more respect you get for PP.

(death to J.K Rowling!!!!)
and I mean that in the most christian way.
Lauren-Jane

George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Will » Fri May 05, 2006 1:51 am

Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Angel to follow » Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Whoops my fault.I struggle to contain my anger to one thread.
Lauren-Jane

George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Somewhat » Sun May 07, 2006 3:48 am

Eerm... it wasn't me?

*wrings collar*

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Angel to follow » Tue May 09, 2006 3:42 pm

may have been yeah, never mind.
Lauren-Jane

George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Return to “%s” The Golden Compass / Northern Lights