The Republic of Heaven

Saying hello

New members: please feel free to introduce yourselves here. Older members: feel free to make random greetings

Saying hello

Postby cats22 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:18 am

I came across this board while searching for the video of Philip Pullman speaking in Oxford against the closure of public libraries and thought it looked like my sort of forum.

I am a great admirer of his books and am an avid reader generally. I discovered his books while browsing in a bookshop and thought I would give Northern Lights a try based just on the comments on the cover. This was after The Amber Spyglass had been published so I came to his books quite late. I hadn't been aware of them as I don't generally read fantasy novels but Northern Lights took hold of me and wouldn't let me go. I bought two copes of all three books in the trilogy so I had one set to lend to friends to persuade them to read them too. Sadly, none of them seemed to share my passion although they liked them. I seem to have found some kindred spirits here, which is wonderful.

I work in London but live just outside Oxford - I often think of Lyra and Will whenever I see the Pitt Rivers Museum there.
cats22
Grazer

Re: Saying hello

Postby bethanwy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Welcome to the forum! Perhaps give our chatroom a try?
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby Valrad » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 pm

wow, you're so lucky to live near Oxford. I wish I could live in England too :) Welcome, and have a great time around here. My friends recommended me HDM, as they are pretty passionate fantasy readers.
Valrad
Grazer

Postby particle23 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello from a fellow newb.

I love to wax lyrical to my friends about HDM and was lucky enough to give away 48 copies of NL yesterday for World Book Night.

I go to Oxford quite a lot and have never been there without thinking of HDM since I first read the trilogy. I Imagine Lyras Oxford to be considerably different from ours though as the absence of Jordan collage hints at.

I can't imagine kids in the real Oxford making mud castles and battling against each other in the clay beds, just texting on their phones or trying to get you to buy them vodka from One Stop instead!
"We have to build the Republic of Heaven where we are, because for us, there is no elsewhere."
particle23
Grazer

Postby Anoria » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Hello cats! Welcome! All our base are belong to you!

But seriously, good to see you :) Your friends may not have caught the bug the way you did, but I'm here because a friend of mine lent me her copy of The Golden Compass long ago.

I'll second the sentiment that it must be really nice to live near Oxford. I visited there for a day, and while part of my awe was the standard American reaction to being anywhere with so many years of history, most of it was how I felt connected to so many years and so many facets of literary history. It would probably wear down a little if I lived nearby, but I'm glad you seem to be one of those who doesn't take it for granted.

Hope you enjoy yourself around the forum and the site.
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby cats22 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Hi and thank you all very much for your welcome. I have just had a thought - this is probably the only place where anyone would understand why I once spent a long time in the Botanic Garden in Oxford trying to decide which was the bench!

I tried logging in to the chat room but my computer didn't seem to like it I'm afraid.

Coming here has reminded me about the Book of Dust. I expect there is plenty about it here but I haven't found my way around yet. What's the latest news?

I spotted something when I was browsing here this morning about Will becoming a doctor and that it's mentioned in later editions of HDM. My copies quite old so I had no idea!
cats22
Grazer

Postby Soapy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm

cats22 wrote:Hi and thank you all very much for your welcome. I have just had a thought - this is probably the only place where anyone would understand why I once spent a long time in the Botanic Garden in Oxford trying to decide which was the bench!

It's this one.

It has something along the lines of "Lyra & Will" carved into the arm.

Did you find it in the end?

Welcome to the forum!
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Welcome to TRoH!

I think the maps of the Botanic Garden (which you get as you go in) are now updated and have 'Lyra and Will's Bench' marked. At least they did the two times I went (in 2009 and 2010).
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby AlexSP » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 pm

There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all
AlexSP
Invincible Starlight

AOL: ARosecatcher

Postby cats22 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Soapy wrote:
cats22 wrote:Hi and thank you all very much for your welcome. I have just had a thought - this is probably the only place where anyone would understand why I once spent a long time in the Botanic Garden in Oxford trying to decide which was the bench!

It's this one.

It has something along the lines of "Lyra & Will" carved into the arm.

Did you find it in the end?

Thank you! I am not sure whether I decided on the right one - I will have to go back and have another look some time.

I feel oddly disappointed that the names have been carved on it - I think I preferred it to be a mysterious secret but there you go.
cats22
Grazer

Postby Secret Someone » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Welcome to TRoH, Cats!

I know what you mean about it remaining a mystery. A part of me wishes it was too. As much as it was great to know exactly which one it is, it would have been nice to have had to go back to the book and read the descriptions to find out. I think the worst thing is that some tool has scratched in 'by PP' on it, which contributes nothing aside from ugliness. Anyone who understands why it's Will and Lyra's probably knows who the book is by. And those who don't wil be none the wiser from just that. It makes me sad. :(

I hope chat works for you soon! Downloading a version of IRC tends to work better than Java chat. I'm currently on another laptop with no IRC and keep screaming at the Java chat to work for me. :P
"There will always be women in rubber flirting with me!"

Secret Someone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Dusty Marcos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:51 am

Damn, they should arrest whoever wrote "by PP" on the bench. It just took all the magic away. It's one of my dreams to meet Oxford and sit on this bench, but now I'm slightly less excited about it :(
Dusty Marcos
Grazer

Postby Anoria » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:23 pm

When I visited the Bench in 2007, the "Lyra + Will" carving in the arm was very subtle - only visible once I sat down and looked for it. I felt like it was part of the secret that way.
(I found it because of the little bridge and the fact that there was a tree right behind it. There was also a very tame squirrel that climbed up on the arm while I was sitting there - I suspect it got more handouts from people who could pretend momentarily that they had a daemon with them than it did at any other bench.)
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Return to “%s” Newbie Welcome Board