The Republic of Heaven

Greetings

New members: please feel free to introduce yourselves here. Older members: feel free to make random greetings

Greetings

Postby Kansas Person » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:59 pm

I am yet another "newbie" on this board.

I first read "His Dark Materials" in 2002, after reading the interview that Christopher Hitchens did with Philip Pullman. I got interested and then read all three volumes in three days. (I am somewhat obsessive-compulsive about such matters.) I was deeply impressed.

Lyra's world is one of the most well-imagined fictional worlds I've ever encountered. I particularly like Pullman's way with language. I recognized "atomcraft" as the German "Atomkraft", meaning nuclear power. His characters drink "brantwijn", which is the Dutch word for brandy.

Then there is that list of maps in "Lyra's Oxford". It's peculiar in having both a "Hungarian Empire" and a "Magyar Republic". A curious absence is any place that might be equivalent to India.

I look forward to "The Book of Dust", but he's been working on it for so long that it's become like the Loch Ness Monster--I'll believe it when I see it.

I should enjoy this board.
Kansas Person
Grazer

Re: Greetings

Postby Jaya » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi, Kansas Person, welcome to the forum! Are you from Kansas?

I'm sure you will enjoy the board, have a look around and see if there's anything that takes your interest. Please also be sure to read our Forum Rules! There's a thread here that I think might be relevant to what you said about the list of maps in Lyra's Oxford (there's a little bit about empires/geography in Lyra's world).

Pullman recently talked to us about The Book of Dust, so hopefully he's still working on it!
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby bee » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Kansas Person wrote:I look forward to "The Book of Dust", but he's been working on it for so long that it's become like the Loch Ness Monster--I'll believe it when I see it.

This is an awesome analogy. :)

Welcome! We're currently doing a re-read of HDM for our forum book club, so if you haven't read the books quite recently, you should join us. We've just started--this month is The Golden Compass/Northern Lights.

(Please note, I promote the book club frequently and shamelessly...)

So, tell us more about yourself! If you are from Kansas, I think that makes you our only current (ever?) mid-Westernern. I've been to Kansas (had family there) but much too long ago to remember much except that my mum kept telling us there'd me a tornado (never was), and the land was amazingly flat and green.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Soapy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Welcome, welcome. I hope you enjoy the boards.

Did you ever read what Peter, Christopher Hitchens' brother had to say about HDM? It was quite amusing.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Kansas Person » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Thank you three for making me feel welcome.

Jaya: Yes, I am from Kansas, though currently I'm living a few miles inside of Missouri. Kansas is just Over the Rainbow from the land of Oz where the Wizard lives in the Emerald City. We Kansans are known for our sense of humor about the matter.

Bee: It's interesting that you've actually been to Kansas. I've lived there most of my life, and I've never been closer than ten miles to a toronado that actually touched down. I reread the HDM trilogy just last summer and it's too soon to reread it again, but I might look in on the discussion.

Soapy: I have read Peter Hitchen's attack on Philip Pullman. (You can find anything on the Net!) The fact that Pullman has evoked so much controversy shows that he is doing something right! From what I've read, Peter and Christopher Hitchens do not get along on anything.

In that my status as a Kansan has evoked comment, there was a newspaper article in "The Kansas City Star" last Sunday that might interest the Brits reading this. It was "How to be a Brit in KC." Go to their website "www.kansascity.com" and search for "Brits International". This might be slightly off-topic, but it was a good article.
Kansas Person
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi, Kansas Person! Welcome to The Republic of Heaven!
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Anoria » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 pm

bee wrote:If you are from Kansas, I think that makes you our only current (ever?) mid-Westernern. I've been to Kansas (had family there) but much too long ago to remember much except that my mum kept telling us there'd me a tornado (never was), and the land was amazingly flat and green.

Oi! Michigan gets tornadoes and is flat and green :(
Also: Leif and Celestial Madness/Oodaaq/Sean, Wisconsin
Blinkus/Sean, Illinois plus uni in Iowa

Anyway, a somewhat belated welcome to you, Kansas Person. We promise not to drop any houses on you.
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby bee » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Anoria wrote:Oi! Michigan gets tornadoes and is flat and green :(
Also: Leif and Celestial Madness/Oodaaq/Sean, Wisconsin
Blinkus/Sean, Illinois plus uni in Iowa

I have a horrible horrible sense of geography and none of those places are in the mid-West in my mind... In fact, in my terrible geography world, the mid-West consists nearly entirely of Kansas and Nebraska.
ImageImageImage

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Postby Anoria » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:33 pm

That's actually more geographically accurate. Michigan and Wisconsin and Illinois are definitely in the eastern half of the country. But "The East" ends with New York and Pennsylvania if you're speaking regionally.

Bah. Now not only have I pulled this welcome thread off topic, I also miss the farm country in Western Michigan :(
Hey baby, what's your callsign?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Anoria
Solver

AOL: telcontara177

Postby Kansas Person » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been off-line due to computer problems.
Kansas Person
Grazer

Postby bee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Kansas Person wrote:I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been off-line due to computer problems.

Oh no! Hope nothing to serious.
ImageImageImage

bee
HoneyPie

Postby Kansas Person » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Bee, I'm not sure what is wrong with the computer. It seems to be working OK now. Yesterday, I was on the Net at the local public library.

Just out of curiousity, just where in the world are you located geographically? I notice that you use British spellings, but that could indicate a lot of places. Reading this Forum, I've noticed that there are posters from all over the world.
Kansas Person
Grazer

Postby bee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:36 am

I'm from the U.S. I don't really have a valid excuse for my spelling, but I definitely blame this forum and its chat. :P
ImageImageImage

bee
HoneyPie

Return to “%s” Newbie Welcome Board