The Republic of Heaven

Multiverse here. =)

New members: please feel free to introduce yourselves here. Older members: feel free to make random greetings

Multiverse here. =)

Postby Multiverse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Wow - as forum graphics go, this board has some of the better ones I´ve seen. ^_^

Anyway. Hi, I´m Multiverse. I´m a boy aged fifteen, and I live in Denmark. Being much of a book-person, I was vaguely interested in these books to begin with, but not so much that I´d go out of my way to get any of them. Then, when I saw a friend of mine reading Northern Ligths (in Danish, that is) at school, I decided to ask her about it, and she mentioned it´d be just my kind of book, and that there was a lot of stuff in it that´d interest me. Needless to say, she was more than right. :D

She offered me to borrow the book when she´d finished it, but we never got 'round to it. A month or so later, I was going on a three-week-vacation to England and Scotland, and having one day to spend in Oxford anyway, I decided to pick up the whole series in paperback, to see what they´re worth. While I was there, I also picked up a hardback Once Upon A Time In The North and a paperback Lyra´s Oxford (because seriously, where else could I possibly get them? Small, additional books like that doesn´t get translated to as small a language as Danish).

My favourite authors include, but occasionally aren´t restricted to, Terry Pratchett, Lemony Snicket, Eoin Colfer, Linda Buckley-Archer, Douglas Adams and of course, Philip Pullman.

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Re: Multiverse here. =)

Postby Peter » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Multiverse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks, Peter. =)

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby Jaya » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi, Multiverse! I don't think we have any Danish people on the forum at the moment. Maybe you should ask your friend if she wants to join too :wink:

Whereabouts in Denmark are you? Which is your favourite of the trilogy?
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Multiverse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks for the welcoming, Jaya. ^_^

Well, I would´ve asked her, but firstly I don´t think she´s all that good at English (that´s just about her only lack of skill, though - she´s extremely creative, a good artist/musician and all), and second, she´s only read the two first books. She´s currently working on forgetting their contents so that she can start over reading the series.

Well, Denmark is quite small, so there isn´t much different Denmark to live in. :P
But I live in the mainly East/southern part of the country, called Sjælland.

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Multiverse, welcome to the forum. I'm glad that going to Oxford inspired you to read all the books. Did you go to the Oxford Botanic Garden and see Lyra and Will's bench?
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Multiverse » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks, Aletheia. :)

Sadly not. Since I hadn´t read the books at the time, I had no idea it´d be in the books - had I known, I believe I might´ve tried to get there. ;)

Also; Is that the SatW Finland I see in your av? ... No need to answer, I know I´m right. =D

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Multiverse wrote:
Also; Is that the SatW Finland I see in your av? ... No need to answer, I know I´m right. =D

-Multiverse

It is Sister Finland from SatW, yes. I'm not Finnish, but I love the creepy little knife-wielding alcoholic! Do you read SatW?

It's a shame that you didn't find the bench, but I guess you can go back again now that you know what it is...
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Multiverse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:
Multiverse wrote:

-Multiverse

It is Sister Finland from SatW, yes. I'm not Finnish, but I love the creepy little knife-wielding alcoholic! Do you read SatW?

It's a shame that you didn't find the bench, but I guess you can go back again now that you know what it is...

Yeah, I do. I consider myself far different from the Denmark of that comic, though. :lol:

I´d love to go back there. Sadly, that´s quite an expensive travel from here. =/

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby bee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Hello Multiverse! Welcome!

Did you first read the books in Danish or in English? Have you read both? (I'm curious how the translation is.)
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Iofur » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Welcome! I didn't realise there were so many fans of this book!
The site is great, glad you joined.
"Tyger, Tyger, burning bright..."
Oh whatever, that's not relevant here.
Iofur
Grazer

Postby Multiverse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks, Bee and Iofur. ^_^

@Bee: I´ve only read the english versions. However, I´ve noticed that Pullman uses a few Danish words (Dæmon, Panserbjørn, Odense). Odense is a Danish town, and I think that Once Upon A Time In The North took place in a city called Novy Odense.
Also, I know for a fact (because my friend mentioned in the first post has read the first two in Danish) that in the Danish versions the word 'Dæmon' is replaced with 'Daimon'. 'Dæmon' simply means 'Demon' in Danish, so it´s to avoid confusion.

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:43 pm

OK, that's enough HDM. Let's move on to Forbrydelsen :)

In particular, Danish names. I couldn't help noticing that while many of the characters' names are the same as or similar to names in other western European languages, e.g. Theis, Sarah, Jan, Morten, others seem to have no analogue. So, what about Vagn? Or Pernille? or Troels?

Help, please.
Peter

Postby Multiverse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Peter wrote:OK, that's enough HDM. Let's move on to Forbrydelsen :)

In particular, Danish names. I couldn't help noticing that while many of the characters' names are the same as or similar to names in other western European languages, e.g. Theis, Sarah, Jan, Morten, others seem to have no analogue. So, what about Vagn? Or Pernille? or Troels?

Help, please.

Umm, Forbrydelsen... that´s a TV show, right? I don´t watch it, I wouldn´t know. The title means The Crime, though you probably don´t need me to telll you. =J

As for the names... well, yes, they´re all completely valid. I can´t think of any international equivalents of those you mentioned, sorry.
Say, where do you live for you to watch Danish television?

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby jessia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 am

Multiverse wrote:
Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:
Multiverse wrote:Also; Is that the SatW Finland I see in your av? ... No need to answer, I know I´m right. =D

Yeah, I do. I consider myself far different from the Denmark of that comic, though. :lol:

:love: SatW Thank goodness Nanaki (?) introduced it to us. Since you are far different from comic Denmark, do you think the artist/author explains the politics adequately?

Welcome Multiverse!! I'll be heading in your direction (Scania) in a month's time. :P Do you ever plan to read the books in Danish? I'm always curious about the quality of translations.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:57 am

Multiverse wrote:Say, where do you live for you to watch Danish television?

South East England :) Forbrydelsen (rendered as The Killing here and in the US remake) has just finished its run on BBC4, where it's been immensely successful.
Peter

Postby Multiverse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 pm

@Jessia: Well, I think they´re supposed to represent stereotypes rather than politics, so thatdoesn´t really matter much to me. ;)

Heh, I love the confused expression of the cat in that last panel.
And no, I don´t lan on reading the Danish books - since I started reading books in English some years ago, I´ve found that most translated books seems a bit dull, anyway. Somehow it needs the original wording of the author to tell the a story properly.

@Peter: Oh, I see. It must be a nice place to live, I suppose? =)

-Multiverse
Multiverse
Grazer

Postby Peter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Multiverse wrote:@Peter: Oh, I see. It must be a nice place to live, I suppose? =)

Oh, it's all right, I suppose. Moderately prosperous, fairly safe, rather dull.
Peter

Return to “%s” Newbie Welcome Board