The Republic of Heaven

OUATITN: Extras at the end

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

OUATITN: Extras at the end

Postby Kyrillion » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Tried to make the title of the thread spoiler free, though if you're in the Once... section you'll probably have read the book.

Anyway, spoilers off the starboard bow!

Lyra's dissertation for her Masters in Economic History... it's amazing, Id never have foreseen it, but Econ. Hist. is so right for Lyra, and with a focus be in her m, on the air trade of the North... So:

1. What does it all mean? Is the story itself an appendix to Lyra's dissertation? If so, where has it come from and how did it end up in her possession? I'd suggest she wrote it herself but that hardly seems like something that would assist an academic essay if so.

2. Who is Tom? Am I being stupid here? I think I remember Polstead - he was the Jordan scholar who Lyra took agin in LO, right? Haven't got my HDM books in my flat to check.

I hope we get some more detail of Lyra's life between LO (age about 16?) and Once... where she must be in her mid-twenties, but I guess we can't rely on hearing anything more about her at all since her story is really contained in HDM.
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Re: Extras at the end

Postby Brannick » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:45 am

Good points. I also wonder if the board game has any significance, maybe hinting that Scorseby takes part in the Peril of the Pole race in a later story?
Brannick
Grazer

Postby JudyHNM » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:23 am

I hope we get some more detail of Lyra's life between LO (age about 16?) and Once... where she must be in her mid-twenties, but I guess we can't rely on hearing anything more about her at all since her story is really contained in HDM.

I was trying to figure out the date of Lyra's note to Dr. Polstead. It's dated Tuesday, January 2. January 2 falls on a Tuesday in 2007, which means Lyra would be 24 or 25 (I think she was born in 1983 or 1982 -- based on information in TGC). The next time January 2 falls on a Tuesday is 2018 which would put Lyra in her mid 30's. Guess I would opt for the 2007 date. Any thoughts?
JudyHNM
Grazer

Postby krebbe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:54 am

I'm not sure if we can rely on dates and years falling on the same day as our world. A bit of detective work in Lyra's Oxford showed that their world has a 31 April. As for the birth year, I think Will was dated to 1984 from the letters from his father. I'm not sure about Lyra though.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Postby Philharmonic » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:25 pm

Clearing things up, I think LO she's 14, because in TAS, Coulter states she is twelve, and it her 'parting with Will two years before...'.

I haven't read OUATITN (phew!) but I've been informed (off an unreliable source) it doesn't feature Lyra.

And for TBOD, I saw somewhere she's meant to be 16 in that.

I don't know, but some time I'll find out.

Stardate 53476.8. Captain's log. Still won't flush. I'll try again later.
Philharmonic
Angel

Location: Some small corner of a foreign field that is forever England

Postby BenMech » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 pm

krebbe wrote:I'm not sure if we can rely on dates and years falling on the same day as our world. A bit of detective work in Lyra's Oxford showed that their world has a 31 April. As for the birth year, I think Will was dated to 1984 from the letters from his father. I'm not sure about Lyra though.

Right. Lyra's world is the // universe, while Will's is supposed to be ours.
BenMech
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: OceanMech
AOL: OceanMech

Postby Haku » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 pm

That's interesting those documents. If Lee's adventure related documents seems only destined to distract and add some cool stuff to the book,
both Lyra's related are quite intriguing, indeed. Lyra Silvertongue. She kept that name ! And yes, who's Tom ? There are many clues in those letters, which will have more signification, I think, in The Book of Dust (just as LO's bonus material, I think)
Aims at all the nonchalence proper to a prince of the air.
Since over 10 years, The Book of Dust will be published in 2 years.
Haku
Gyptian

Postby Kyrillion » Tue May 06, 2008 11:57 pm

I was twelve when I read Northern Lights, so close to Lyra's age in that book (she's eleven), but by the time TAS was published I was nineteen and Lyra had only reached twelve. She seems to have caught up with me now if she's 24 in OUATITN :)
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby Australis » Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 pm

I haven't read it all yet, but I did go to the extras and see Lyra's notes. Did anybody else get the feeling of having contact with an old friend again, seeing her signature there?
Australis
Zalif

Postby Townie » Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 am

Australis wrote:Did anybody else get the feeling of having contact with an old friend again, seeing her signature there?

Yep...That's the great thing about PP's stuff. You talk fondly of your mates and you say "That *******" when refering to a villan.
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby AUST » Fri May 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Yeah, I noted a few things from the thing at the end: A) That it seems the storys related to her dissitation
b) whos Tom-I'm pumping for the guy out of LO
c) That shes kept the name silvertounge-and must have legally changed her name to that intstead of Belaqua.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby HDMFAN4LIFE » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:01 pm

i did a bit of research and found out the date Mrs Coulter was born, after doing a little bit of Math (okay maybe a lot :mrgreen: )
I also got that Lyra was born sometime in 1984, like Will.
so she would probably be around i don't know maybe her 20's in OUATITN 8)
it took a while to work out. Probably wrong but anyway.
and who is Tom?
~I can't change who I am. Not this time, I won't lie to keep you near me and in this short life there's no time to waste on giving up. My love wasn't enough!- Lacrymosa, Evanescence.

*Said calmly* I love HDM....WOOT!!!!!!!!!
HDMFAN4LIFE
Grazer

Return to “%s” Companion Books