The Republic of Heaven

LO: is it just me or is Lyras Oxford over priced (£10!)

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

LO: is it just me or is Lyras Oxford over priced (£10!)

Postby muddmania » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:47 pm

hey, lyras oxford is to expensive, its a tenner, you can buy the amber spyglass for £7!
Last edited by muddmania on Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muddmania
Grazer

Location: Flintshire, UK The land of the 900 handbag cars with loud exhausts and aloys

Postby Tomsy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:48 pm

So don't buy it, cus! No one's making you.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Darragh » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:55 pm

Yeah sure you don't have to buy it but it is overpriced.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby eloquent » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:43 pm

This was one of the general moans when it was released. Of course it isn't just a standard mass market paperback. They have put effort into giving it the 'feel', and with all the accompanying ephemera it costs more to make than a paperback. But yes I do agree that it is still overpriced.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby HDM Head 24-7 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:56 pm

They gave it5 a price tht they new people would pay plus im sure those engravings aren't cheap
Into this wild abyss, The womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire, But all these in their pregnant causes mixed Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, Unless the almighty maker them ordain His dark materials to create more worlds, Into this wild abyss the wary fiend Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, Pondering his voyage...John Milton-Paradise Lost-Book 2
HDM Head 24-7
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: bigforyou85
AOL: svq2

Postby DarkIvy » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:27 pm

In France, English books are more expensive than £10... :?
... Bene Elim ...
DarkIvy
Zalif

Postby muddmania » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:57 pm

i agree, it has got a lot more depth and feel,(like the map and postcard) its almost like having a peice of PP's worlds there with you. It would be briliant if TBOD is like it, with pull-outs and stuff.
muddmania
Grazer

Location: Flintshire, UK The land of the 900 handbag cars with loud exhausts and aloys

Postby Max » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:00 pm

Personally, I think all books are excellent value when compared with other media, and so this one is reasonably priced (while, for example, TAS at £7 is ludicrously cheap - think about the enjoyment per pound compared with the average CD or game you buy).
Last edited by Max on Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby muddmania » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:16 pm

I never thought like that, thanks :D !! although music and games are enjoyable to a point books will always be much better, especialy the ones that enspire and please so many other people, HDM, LOTR ect.
muddmania
Grazer

Postby Gracie » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:21 pm

I initially thought that the book was hideously over priced as well, but it is just a beautifully put together piece. If it was just a flimsy paperback book, with none of the pull-outs I'm sure it could have been sold for under a fiver, but as it is, I think a tenner is spot on. :D
Gracie
Grazer

Website: http://s4.invisionfree.com/Mystix_Realm/index.php?act=idx
Yahoo Messenger: professorgraceless

Postby Haku » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:01 pm

I bought Lyra's Oxford it in Waterstones at Trafalgar Square when I visited London.
In France, it costs 12.5€ (about £7.00)
Strange fact, HDM is in store in my (french) town, in english version. The price for the english book (with the whole trilogy inside) is 24€ (£16) and that cheaper that in UK where this book is sold for £25. I don't understand why it's cheaper.
But I find books are incredibly expensive in UK. This summer as I said, I visited London and oxford (taking pictures of every HDM places...) and I was looking for books. And there are 50% more expensive than in France.
Aims at all the nonchalence proper to a prince of the air.
Since over 10 years, The Book of Dust will be published in 2 years.
Haku
Gyptian

Postby Lalura » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:26 pm

Everything is more expensive in the UK, which is why we buy a year's supply of everything whenever we go to any other country. Especially cheese and wine in France :wink: .
You cannot trust this girl. Her mind has been warped by colours, sounds and shapes.

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise.
Lalura
Isilvala

Postby Enitharmon » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:46 pm

Lalura wrote:Everything is more expensive in the UK, which is why we buy a year's supply of everything whenever we go to any other country. Especially cheese and wine in France :wink: .

Vodka in Poland (GBP 3.50 a litre there, GBP 20+ here!)
CDs and Shoes in the US.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby milton » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:58 pm

I think lyra's oxford is more than a story I think it's a tourguide and perhaps even something that hints at pullmans inspiration for the books
being originally from oxford I can trace the steps from town to jericho in my head. I walk with the book one day to confirm my suspicions
milton
Grazer

Postby Sirius » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:37 pm

Old topic mate. But never mind.

Is the layout correct then? I did wonder...
You're full of crap fry

*gets electrocuted*

You make a persuasive argument Fry

- Bender
Sirius
Professional guinea pig

Postby Haku » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:08 pm

milton wrote:I think it's a tourguide

I know it's not exactly the theme of the topic, but I agree.
I went to Oxford this summer and the Lyra's Oxford map was very useful to me, to find place of HDM, and places in the city !!!!
Aims at all the nonchalence proper to a prince of the air.
Since over 10 years, The Book of Dust will be published in 2 years.
Haku
Gyptian

Postby Phit » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:23 am

Oh! Haku, did you go from Turl to Juxon? I did, just curious. Makepeace's house in our world is pretty uh...dreary. But indeed, with the LO map I was much more successful at finding things than I had been with...nothing.
-be a pal...pass the mead
Phit
Gyptian

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:11 pm

The map got Shoe Lane wrong. In our world it goes from New Inn Hall Street to the back of the Clarendon Centre (a horrible shopping mall). There is no Clarendon Centre in Lyra's Oxford, so Shoe Lane should run all the way from New Inn Street to Cornmarket Street. But the map shows Shoe Lane as a cul-de-sac, as it is here.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:42 pm

Ceres Wunderkind wrote:The map got Shoe Lane wrong. In our world it goes from New Inn Hall Street to the back of the Clarendon Centre (a horrible shopping mall). There is no Clarendon Centre in Lyra's Oxford, so Shoe Lane should run all the way from New Inn Street to Cornmarket Street. But the map shows Shoe Lane as a cul-de-sac, as it is here.

I've seen a 1950s map and Shoe Lane was always a cul-de-sac.

Touché! :P

What I want to know is, why does every street named on the L-Oxford map bear the same name it does on the A to Z of our Oxford, except that our New Inn Hall Street is their New Inn Street. Is this another teaser, like 31 April?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Peter » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:06 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Ceres Wunderkind wrote:The map got Shoe Lane wrong. In our world it goes from New Inn Hall Street to the back of the Clarendon Centre (a horrible shopping mall). There is no Clarendon Centre in Lyra's Oxford, so Shoe Lane should run all the way from New Inn Street to Cornmarket Street. But the map shows Shoe Lane as a cul-de-sac, as it is here.

I've seen a 1950s map and Shoe Lane was always a cul-de-sac.

Touché! :P

Not if you go far enough back:

Original here.

A hit! A palpable hit :P

What I want to know is, why does every street named on the L-Oxford map bear the same name it does on the A to Z of our Oxford, except that our New Inn Hall Street is their New Inn Street. Is this another teaser, like 31 April?

Or has Mr Pullman crossed the fine line...
Peter
Not an endangered species

Return to “%s” Companion Books