The Republic of Heaven

LO: I know what the house on the postcard is!

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

LO: I know what the house on the postcard is!

Postby kyrabelacqua » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:46 am

You know on the postcard, how there's a house, with a sign in front of it that says Norham Gardens? Well, I figured out that the house is where St. Sophia's school is in Lyra's Oxford! Cause Dame Hannah says that her College aquired a large house in North Oxford to set up the boarding school, and Mary Malone says the house is near her flat is in North Oxford, and on the map in the book, St. Sophia's is right near Mary's flat! So yay! I've solved the mystery! It's not Will's house, as some people thought...
[size=7]
Mod edit: Random chatter split to abyss[/size]
kyrabelacqua
Armoured Bear

Re: I know what the house on the postcard is!

Postby Enitharmon » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:36 pm

kyrabelacqua wrote:St. Sophia's is right near Mary's flat! So yay! I've solved the mystery! It's not Will's house, as some people thought...

Fine - the house on the postcard may well be St Sophia's boarding school. It's not St Sophia's College though - that in our world is Lady Margaret Hall, which you can see on the ground in 'our' Oxford.

Whyever would anybody think it was Will's house? Will's house is in Winchester, not Oxford. An hour's drive down the A34.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby kyrabelacqua » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:54 pm

Because there are some not-so-bright people out there!
So yeah, I'm pretty sure that it is St. Sophia's Boarding School.
Shoot me if it isn't.

Oh, and this is off topic, but what is with that 'Grazer', 'Sraffie' thing under the usernames? Is it a kind of hierachy, or something?
kyrabelacqua
Armoured Bear

Postby Cookiemonster » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:05 pm

kyrabelacqua wrote:Oh, and this is off topic, but what is with that 'Grazer', 'Sraffie' thing under the usernames? Is it a kind of hierachy, or something?

It changes as your post-count changes, then you get a custom title of your own choosing after 1000 posts.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby Alewyn » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:21 am

DING DING DING
WINNER! if you're right that's bloody amazing. PP did say that everything had to do with something else.
*remembers that Book of Dust isn't out yet*
*faints*
Meraa mitra yahaan aaiye.

Of course, if dryers were the link between the worlds, then Will would be spending all his free time jumping into dryers.

We must build the Republic of Heaven in the dryer...
Alewyn
Witch

Postby kyrabelacqua » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:23 am

Well, read the end of The Amber Spylass, look at the Lyra's Oxford map and read the postcard. Then you will see that it is [i] bloody amazing![/i]
kyrabelacqua
Armoured Bear

Return to “%s” Companion Books