The Republic of Heaven

OUATITN: A new book about Iorek and Lee Scoresby!

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

OUATITN: A new book about Iorek and Lee Scoresby!

Postby TianNing » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:28 pm

Maybe everyone here already knows about this, but I don't see a thread.

I just found a blog dated 9/10/07 that PP has written a book about the early years of Lee and Iorek, long before the trilogy! I am so excited I could just change my daemon into a flying monkey!
TianNing
Grazer

Postby trench_coat101 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:45 am

Your not alone. I hav'nt heard of this either. Give me the blog name, the authou, their name and location. And change your Avitar into a flying monkey.

FLY, MY PRETTIES!! FLY!!!
"Who owns this house?"

"Im looking after it for Lord Elpous"

"(Lord Help us!) Will he be gone long?"

"Quite a while i should think, they buried him this morning"

"Oh dear what was the matter?"

"He'd been lying on his back for three days."

"Well that doesnt neccessarily mean a mans dead"

"Aha, this time it did. He was on the bottom of the lake"
trench_coat101
Armoured Bear

Postby jessia » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:40 pm

i've created the new forum section here. i'm excited also... and we'll get the press release up as soon as it's available.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Somewhat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:32 am

trench_coat101 wrote:Your not alone. I hav'nt heard of this either. Give me the blog name, the authou, their name and location. And change your Avitar into a flying monkey.

FLY, MY PRETTIES!! FLY!!!

Well, there is, you know, the post on this very site: http://www.bridgetothestars.net/news/ne ... and-iorek/
But nobody bothers looking at the news page, do they? Myself included. My home page is the forum. :P
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby bee » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:49 pm

That is fantastically exciting. I actually am more excited about this than the Book of Dust, because at least I know more what this is about--and I love Lee and Iorek.

Hooray. :D
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby furbaby » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:09 am

Philip Pullman wrote: “When we see them for the first time with Lyra, Lee is not that old: he’s fifty, sixty, something like that

That should settle a few arguments. 8)
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby jessia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 am

furbaby wrote:
Philip Pullman wrote: “When we see them for the first time with Lyra, Lee is not that old: he’s fifty, sixty, something like that

That should settle a few arguments. 8)

thus older than the jake gyllenhaal of a cowboy a lot of people were hoping for i remember.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby furbaby » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:17 am

:killingme:
Or that bloke from Lost. Just what I was thinking.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Beausabre » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:00 pm

Interesting, the title "Once Upon a Time in the North" is an obvious homage to a Sergio Leone spaghetti western

"Once Upon a Time in the West (originally released in Italy in 1968 under the title C'era una volta il West) and released in USA May 1969, is an epic spaghetti Western film directed by Sergio Leone. Its critical acclaim was not immediately forthcoming yet it has matured into an undeniable classic.[1][2]

The film stars Henry Fonda unusually cast as the villain Frank, Charles Bronson as his nemesis "Harmonica", Jason Robards as the generally benign bandit Cheyenne, and Claudia Cardinale as a newly-widowed homesteader with a past (a prostitute), Jill.

It is the first part of a loose trilogy of epic, elegiac films that examine social and political issues from American history. It is followed by 1971's A Fistful of Dynamite (known alternatively as Once Upon a Time... The Revolution or Duck, You Sucker) and 1984's Once Upon a Time in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_ ... n_the_West

Of course, Scoreby is supposed to be a "Cowboy of the Sky", so the link is appropriate, bu the mind still boggles at what Leone, Brosnon (Will) and Cardinale (Lyra) would have made of HDM.

http://www.wildeast.net/spaghettiwestern.htm

http://www.search.com/reference/Spaghetti_Western
Beausabre
Grazer

Postby Pauwel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Beausabre wrote:Interesting, the title "Once Upon a Time in the North" is an obvious homage to a Sergio Leone spaghetti western

"Once Upon a Time in the West (originally released in Italy in 1968 under the title C'era una volta il West) and released in USA May 1969, is an epic spaghetti Western film directed by Sergio Leone. Its critical acclaim was not immediately forthcoming yet it has matured into an undeniable classic.[1][2]

The film stars Henry Fonda unusually cast as the villain Frank, Charles Bronson as his nemesis "Harmonica", Jason Robards as the generally benign bandit Cheyenne, and Claudia Cardinale as a newly-widowed homesteader with a past (a prostitute), Jill.

It is the first part of a loose trilogy of epic, elegiac films that examine social and political issues from American history. It is followed by 1971's A Fistful of Dynamite (known alternatively as Once Upon a Time... The Revolution or Duck, You Sucker) and 1984's Once Upon a Time in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_ ... n_the_West

Of course, Scoreby is supposed to be a "Cowboy of the Sky", so the link is appropriate, bu the mind still boggles at what Leone, Brosnon (Will) and Cardinale (Lyra) would have made of HDM.

http://www.wildeast.net/spaghettiwestern.htm

http://www.search.com/reference/Spaghetti_Western

Philip Pullman + Epic Western = Awesome book
My prison cell is eternal
As I am bound to a single room in the metropolis I call Existence
Trying to look, trying to see
Endlessly trying to truly be free
And yet I am forever constrained
Pauwel
Grazer

Postby Amaltheia » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:28 pm

This is so exciting!
Amaltheia
Grazer

Postby Luca » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:36 pm

What a great discovery on my return to the forum! How exciting.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby Dragon of Heaven » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 am

This book will be an interesting read and I will get it but I don't get what is it with these small books, that can be read in one sitting. A great trilogy like HDM deserves to have proper novel length sequels and prequels. Considering how long its taking to write the BOD you’re half expecting it to be as big as all three HDM books combined, maybe bigger.
Dragon of Heaven
Gallivespian Spy

Postby trench_coat101 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:16 am

He could have just put them all into one big novel of short storys.

Might i add that this is increasingly becoming like LOTR in that Pullman is writing more books of the same world rather than the first characters storyline. You may remember the Silmarillion but thats more of a history of middle earth. There is also the book of Unfinished Tales
"Who owns this house?"

"Im looking after it for Lord Elpous"

"(Lord Help us!) Will he be gone long?"

"Quite a while i should think, they buried him this morning"

"Oh dear what was the matter?"

"He'd been lying on his back for three days."

"Well that doesnt neccessarily mean a mans dead"

"Aha, this time it did. He was on the bottom of the lake"
trench_coat101
Armoured Bear

Postby killermouse » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:49 am

trench_coat101 wrote:He could have just put them all into one big novel of short storys.

Might i add that this is increasingly becoming like LOTR in that Pullman is writing more books of the same world rather than the first characters storyline. You may remember the Silmarillion but thats more of a history of middle earth. There is also the book of Unfinished Tales
the Silmarillion was great but i hope theBoD isnt like that
“I didn't think it would end this way.”
“End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back and all change to silver glass....and then you see it.”
“What, Gandalf? See what?”
“White shores and beyond. The far green country under a swift sunrise.”
“Well, that isn't so bad.”
“No, no it isn't.”
killermouse
Grazer

AOL: killermouse645

Postby AUST » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:08 pm

Very intresting...

I have to say I'm suprised by this. i hoped the BoD would be the last HDMverse book.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Aeschylus » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:23 pm

EXCITEMENT!! THIS IS AWESOME. One thing i think i would like to know more about though is the Galivespians, where they're from, what their world is like, everything like that, that would be cool. bu i guess there are many things that many different people want to hear about i guess.
"I leave ye with a riddle.. ...I'm hard yet soft, I'm coloured yet clear... ...I'm fruity and sweet, I am jelly... ...What am I?"

"If you're frightened of dyin' and you're holding on...
You'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace,
Then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth."
Radiohead, Rabbit in your Headlights.

"And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder: One of the four beasts saying: "Come and see." And I saw. And behold, a white horse... And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him."
Johnny Cash, When the Man Comes Around.
Aeschylus
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: macayless@yahoo.co.nz

Postby Ala » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:43 pm

Oh, more about the Gallivespians would be AWESOME. But I'm super psyched about this book, too. Iorek and Lee Scoresby are two of my favorite characters. I'm going to love reading more about them.
Ala
Grazer

Postby kezmondo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 pm

I want another book about Will, he's my favourite character!
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Postby yesac113 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:11 pm

So is this book already out or... what?
The fall didn't kill you....
It's the sudden stop that did.
yesac113
Grazer

Return to “%s” Companion Books