The Republic of Heaven

OUATITN: Anyone else view this as a poor decision?

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

OUATITN: Anyone else view this as a poor decision?

Postby AUST » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 pm

Most of the responces I've seen so far have been delighted that this book is coming-but does anyone else feel slight apprehensive and negtive towards it? I felt that Lyras Oxford was a slight let down, and though I still love Pullman and read every book he releases I feel that the HDM seris should ahve been stopped after TAS and that these later books take some of the gloss of the magnificent serise. There is too much of a good thing...
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby jessia » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 pm

i think LO was a let down because the plot wasn't what we would've hoped. lee and iorek on the other hand seem a lot more exciting story-wise, and maybe more like something pullman was always eager to tell when he was first thinking up HDM. also the extras are fun and, in my eye, redeemed LO of its less-than-exciting story.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby AUST » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 pm

jessia wrote:i think LO was a let down because the plot wasn't what we would've hoped. lee and iorek on the other hand seem a lot more exciting story-wise, and maybe more like something pullman was always eager to tell when he was first thinking up HDM. also the extras are fun and, in my eye, redeemed LO of its less-than-exciting story.

Agreed, I enjoyed Lyras Oxford but I would still have preffered for it not to have come out. I udnerstood the motivation behind the book of dust as well-to tie up lose ends and to rpovide some background, but a trilogy is far to much.

One of the greta thigns about Lee and Iorek is that we don't know huge amount about there background-its one of the things that makes there freindship and characters so facinating. Having a book on them would destroy this mystery.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby jessia » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:36 pm

but that follows in line with "ignorance is bliss," i think. but he's mentionned this as a story he has wanted to tell anyways. it was meant to be included in TBOD but i guess it's not happening now.

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby furbaby » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:06 am

jessia wrote: It was meant to be included in TBOD but I guess it's not happening now.

Do you mean The Book Of Dust won't happen? It's beginning to look that way to me. First the Lyra story, then this one - both things that were mentioned as being part of TBOD.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby jessia » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:34 am

furbaby wrote:Do you mean The Book Of Dust won't happen? It's beginning to look that way to me. First the Lyra story, then this one - both things that were mentioned as being part of TBOD.

i just meant the inclusion of the story about lee and iorek actually. there's still farder coram and serafina left and he says he's been working on it. that said, he never mentionned OUATITN (that abbreviation's really not going to stick) until it was actually finished and off to the publishers. we technically haven't even seen a press release for it, but given that the news was direct from the source...

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Riali » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 am

Personally, I loved LO, it's such a puzzle of a book. I don't think of it as a novel, thats all. It's a vignette, chapbook, even just a little piece of art. The book is so nice just as an object, with its cloth binding and all the little maps and fold outs and such. The story is good, but it's one element of all that LO is. And so I am looking forward to another in the same vein.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 am

AUST wrote:Agreed, I enjoyed Lyras Oxford but I would still have preferred for it not to have come out.

I think you've missed the point of Lyra's Oxford, as has everybody who feels cheated that it wasn't another full-length epic. Nobody ever pretended it would be.

Its nature is made quite clear. It is an artefact which contains amongst other things a short story. It also contains a map of Oxford, a catalogue of travel equipment, a catalogue of books, a catalogue of maps, a brochure for a Mediterranean cruise, an extract from a travel guide. The reader with no imagination will take them as just that. The more curious will realise that there's something distinctly rum about each and every one of them.

Egypt and the Coptic Kingdoms? No Islam, then. So Marisa Coulter has a previously unknown side, she writes learned books on anthropoloigy. Whi is Athanasius Kircher? Why has Mary's postcard got a funny postmark? What happens between Famagusta and Latakia? Which is the only street in Oxford which has a different name in the L-World?

Until you know about all these, you haven't exhausted the possibilities of LO. It's no accident that, while my copies of the main books have moved on, I'm hanging on to Lyra's Oxford.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby AUST » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:34 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
AUST wrote:Agreed, I enjoyed Lyras Oxford but I would still have preferred for it not to have come out.

I think you've missed the point of Lyra's Oxford, as has everybody who feels cheated that it wasn't another full-length epic. Nobody ever pretended it would be.

Its nature is made quite clear. It is an artefact which contains amongst other things a short story. It also contains a map of Oxford, a catalogue of travel equipment, a catalogue of books, a catalogue of maps, a brochure for a Mediterranean cruise, an extract from a travel guide. The reader with no imagination will take them as just that. The more curious will realise that there's something distinctly rum about each and every one of them.

Egypt and the Coptic Kingdoms? No Islam, then. So Marisa Coulter has a previously unknown side, she writes learned books on anthropoloigy. Whi is Athanasius Kircher? Why has Mary's postcard got a funny postmark? What happens between Famagusta and Latakia? Which is the only street in Oxford which has a different name in the L-World?

Until you know about all these, you haven't exhausted the possibilities of LO. It's no accident that, while my copies of the main books have moved on, I'm hanging on to Lyra's Oxford.

I never said i felt cheated-I would have preferred it hadn't come out. I did find it very intresting to read and look through adn work out, but I'm not in favour of there being too many HDM books, especally not ones that meerly seem to be filling in backstory like this.
AUST
Witch

Postby yesac113 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:50 am

is this book already out or is it being published... little confused here? :?:
yesac113
Grazer

Postby Riali » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:58 am

yesac113 wrote:is this book already out or is it being published... little confused here? :?:

It's not out yet. Scheduled, I believe, for April 08.

*tic toc tic toc*
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Re:

Postby Kyrillion » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:49 pm

Enitharmon wrote:

I'm completely with you Rosie - I loved LO to bits (preferred it, in all its brevity, to TAS, quite frankly. Now that Once... I love that too but whereas most people seem to think Once.. is a return to form I still prefer LO. So there :P
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Re: Anyone else view this as a poor decision?

Postby iku » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:47 am

whats wrong with filling out the backstory of the characters, we cant expect every story he writes to a be an epic like the trilogy, its nice to get tiny snipets that flesh out our characters, if it bothers you that much just dont read it.....
iku
Grazer

Re: Anyone else view this as a poor decision?

Postby AUST » Fri May 09, 2008 4:54 pm

All I can say is that I take this post that. I brought Once... today and it was supurb, absoloutly brilliant.
AUST
Witch

Return to “%s” Companion Books