The Republic of Heaven

OUATITN: Book Synopsis

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

OUATITN: Book Synopsis

Postby kezmondo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:39 pm

I was on Amazon the other day, and decided to look for Once upon a time in the North. I found a page which quoted the book synopsis and what the book will contain. Here is the link if anyone is interested. (20 days! woo)
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Book Synopsis

Postby aklebury » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:00 am

It's interesting that Lyra provides the link to Scoresby and Iorek's story (at least according to the synopsis). I'm glad that we get to hear a little more about her, even if the bulk of the story is about something else.

And:
Set in the far frozen Arctic, Once Upon aTime in the North contains other teasingly authentic memorabilia and clues, together with a thrilling board game, Peril of the Pole, complete with spinner, game board and pieces

Eeee! New HDM material never fails to bring out my inner fanboy
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:00 am

I wonder if this board game has some significance to the plot, in the way that the map and other objects were sprinkled as clues through Lyra's Oxford or if it's just an irrelevant piece of merchandise designed to increase the book's price.

/me seems to have morphed into Rosie.

I apologise. I just really hate irrelevant merchandise.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:I apologise. I just really hate irrelevant merchandise.

Out of curiosity do you not find the release of the book itself a little bit excessive then? I mean, it's not like it's actually necessary...

Anyhoo, should *hopefully* have a couple of these to give away on the homepage soon :)
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby jessia » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:I wonder if this board game has some significance to the plot, in the way that the map and other objects were sprinkled as clues through Lyra's Oxford or if it's just an irrelevant piece of merchandise designed to increase the book's price.

ironically, i think rosie loves those extra bits in LO... but in the context of HDM-relevance.

i wonder how they'll fit all of that into the "little blue book" package.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby AUST » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:I wonder if this board game has some significance to the plot, in the way that the map and other objects were sprinkled as clues through Lyra's Oxford or if it's just an irrelevant piece of merchandise designed to increase the book's price.

I apologise. I just really hate irrelevant merchandise.

Your not the only one who hates irrelivent merchindise-but from what i know of Pullman he isn't the sort to stick things in without any meaning.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby furbaby » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote: designed to increase the book's price.

Hardly. It will have increased the production costs, which obviously have an effect on the price.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby kezmondo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Woot I just got an email telling me my copy has been dispatched. *praises amazon*
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” Companion Books