The Republic of Heaven

OUATITN: My review

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

OUATITN: My review

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:06 pm

I've reviewed the book here. Please read it.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Re: My review

Postby Blossom » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm

Does it have spoilers?
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 am

No. It obviously might give you preconceived notions though. But no, I've just included the odd generalism about the plot, and it's all stuff we knew anyway.

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby aklebury » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:28 am

Wow thanks for the review. Glad to hear that it's another quality work and not just a movie cash-in type item.

Once Upon A Time In The North’ will be released on April 3rd in the UK, Ireland and Japan, April 8th in the USA and Canada, and May 1st in Australia and New Zealand.
Gah! That's a long time to wait
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Postby furbaby » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Ian wrote:It seems that ‘Once Upon A Time In The North’ is not destined for the same fate as ’Lyra’s Oxford’. Initial hopes about that book had been high but restrained; for all its strengths, however, it was seen by many as a disappointment. ‘Once Upon A Time In The North’ is by comparison quite the converse.

Don't you think that in the case of LO, people were perhaps expecting something longer, and any disappointment was mainly down to its brevity? While with "North", we now know what to expect.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Ian » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:21 pm

I guess. I generalised a little there, trying to take into account the broad response to the book. Personally I liked LO; thought it was great - but people have argued (and a couple I've seen about the new one) that the book was so short that there wasn't enough 'plot' or 'description' or whatever, whilst forgetting that even in HDM PP is really just a story teller. He's never been that hot on artsy writing... But I think "North" will offer more meat to those who seek it (even if someone in the news comments already complained about it's shortness).

Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby furbaby » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:55 am

Mmmm. While the actual narrative in LO is pretty short, there is a great deal to mull over with the curious extras to be found there. I must say I find it rather depressing that the only topic that ever seems to be posted in on the LO section is the "did you find it a disappointment" thread. Seems to me it's gone right over most people's heads.

Not seen "North" yet, but if it contains similar puzzles, I hope readers pay more attention.
Do any of us, except in our dreams, truly expect to be reunited with our hearts’ deepest loves, even when they leave us only for minutes, and on the most mundane of errands? No, not at all. Each time they go from our sight we in our secret hearts count them as dead. Having been given so much, we reason, how could we expect not to be brought as low as Lucifer for the staggering presumption of our love?
furbaby
Angel

Postby Kyrillion » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:43 pm

I agree with you Ian, I thought LO was great. It seemed to me like a lot of the people disappointed with the story didn't really get the idea of a 'short story' - and yes, I think the more positive reception of OUATITN has something to do with people knowing what to expect this time.

Thanks for the review. I read it after I read the book as I'm getting wary of preconceived ideas as I go into a book or film, but it made interesting reading all the same!
Stay out of Camberwick Green.
Kyrillion
Megamouth Sraffie (get custom title)

Postby aklebury » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:58 am

aklebury wrote:
Once Upon A Time In The North’ will be released on April 3rd in the UK, Ireland and Japan, April 8th in the USA and Canada, and May 1st in Australia and New Zealand.
Gah! That's a long time to wait

Well! I was browsing in Borders today and what should catch my eye but 'Once Upon A Time In The North'. At first I assumed that what I was seeing wasn't actually it, but it was and I ended up buying it!
Not sure why it was in stores now (as opposed to not-until-May-1st) but it was a very nice little suprise! :P
"It was evening all afternoon.
It was snowing
And it was going to snow."
aklebury
Angel

Return to “%s” Companion Books