The Republic of Heaven

Torre degli Angeli and Giacomo Paradisi

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Postby zemarl » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:22 pm

Max wrote:
Enitharmon wrote:
eloquent wrote:Of course. Symbolising the power of man...

And with more than a hint of the Tower of Babel about it, I fancy.

Oh lord, you've got me thinking now. Could the Spectres be divine retribution for transgressing beyond the bounds of rightful human domain? The Authority has sufficient power to direct all human ghosts to the World of the Dead and imprison them there, he could well have the power to do so.

God sundered humanity through disparate languages because they attempted to escape their mortal realm and effectively threatened intrusion on Heaven. By cutting, or moving otherwise, between dimensions Pullman's humans were doing the same, and, in doing so, creating the opportunity to form an army of sufficient might to challenge the Kingdom of Heaven - just as Asriel did.

There are a great many more humans involved in the His Dark Materials case, so a more dramatic approach is required to divide them - turning those around the windows to silent, immobile indifference - and Pullman's God is arguably even more vindictive than the Bible's God, if that's even possible.

Here's the killer, though: the Spectre's fight on TKoHs side against TRoH in the great battle! (And it could also explain why Marisa is able to control them: her explanation always seemed a little suspect, as though there was really more to it than she knew.)

Anyway. This could all be coincidence.

i doubt that is coincidence. i hadn't thought of it like that before but it makes a lot of sense. reminds me of hell.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife