The Republic of Heaven

Is The Knife Really That Sharp?

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Is The Knife Really That Sharp?

Postby mtbanger » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:02 pm

The knife can, as we all know (exept for people still readin HDM) cut through anything but i beleive that that is not the case. If that was the case, then how come whenever will stands between Pan and Lyra the knife dosent sever their connection? I reckon that the REAL sharpest object in the universes of HDM is the silver Guillotine that Mrs Coulter invented to sever daemons from children and the only reason that it can not cut into different worlds is that it lacks the 'negative capability' that Will and Lyra use to work the Knife and the Alethiometer. Or that the silver guillotine does not have the correct type of edge like the knife has,
but that makes no difference, the point is why doesn't the knife sever Lyra and Pan (exept that that would make it an extremely short, 2 book trilogy) :?
Death, It Comes And We Cant Help it But we Can Make Life As Worth While As Possible And Embrace Death With Acceptance And With Life Storys To Tell.(For the harpys)
AND HOW!
mtbanger
Grazer

Postby Tomsy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:09 pm

How do you know Will ever comes between Lyra and Pan?
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby mtbanger » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:24 pm

in the Tower of angels, right after the fight with tullio, will recieved the knife and he sat on a chair with Lyra in the room behind him. then Pan came and wait for it, wait for it, HE CAME AROUND WILL AND LICKED HIS HAND!!!!!! and since will had the knife on his lap (i thinK) pan MUST have walked past it. Also at the end of TAS when he eas on the Dunes with lyra ~sniff~ ~sniff~ :cry: he stroked Pan so he must have passed the knife to be stroked

and in the world of the dead when pan and lyra seperated he must have passed between them at some point. Which brings up the question, why didnt will accidently kill himself by walking past Kirjava even if they WERE miles away that doesn't matter does it?

Sorry, i Just like proving stuff so i'm kinda desperate to do this. (don't worry, i'm useually wrong)
Death, It Comes And We Cant Help it But we Can Make Life As Worth While As Possible And Embrace Death With Acceptance And With Life Storys To Tell.(For the harpys)
AND HOW!
mtbanger
Grazer

Postby eloquent » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:37 pm

I think the way the guilotine severs a connection is that it places itself entirely in the way of whatever energy flows between them, whereas the knife, being much smaller, couldn't do this.

Also I think when we talk about the knife being able to cut through anything we really mean anything tangible. You can't actually cut intangible things like electromagnetic waves. You can reflect or absorb them with a solid body but you can't cut them as such because that is not how physics works.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Dante » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:35 pm

When some people are talking abuot the silver guillotine, they say that it's the material of the thing that severs the connection. However, Lyra does realise how similar the edges of the knife and guillotine are.

Perhaps the knife can cut the connections, but it could be that he has to feel it like he does the notches in the fabric of the universe to cut through? Think- if the guillotine was sharper than the SK, then it could cut through the barriers of the universe too.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Botanic 2004 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:32 pm

the reason why the silver guillotine can sever human from daemon.

the two small 'rooms' that Lyra and Pan are in are completely air tight and there is only one tube connecting the two of them. that means that all the bonds are directed down that tube. if something very sharp like the silver guillotine comes down in the middle of the tube then the bonds are severed because Lyra has no more connections with Pan.

did that make any sense?
Da Botmeister ist here. thank Darragh for the name Botmeister
Imageyou are currently connected to Botonia Internet Service (BIS)
Image= simeon.smith@btopenworld.com
if you ever read this go to the secret website http://www.zarb.northsurrey.org.uk

Simeon Smith = My real name belive it or not. :killingme: :drink: mmm!
Botanic 2004
BANNED

Postby Tomsy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:36 pm

Botanic 2004 wrote:the reason why the silver guillotine can sever human from dæmon.

the two small 'rooms' that Lyra and Pan are in are completely air tight and there is only one tube connecting the two of them. that means that all the bonds are directed down that tube. if something very sharp like the silver guillotine comes down in the middle of the tube then the bonds are severed because Lyra has no more connections with Pan.

did that make any sense?

Absoloutely. I see the human-daemon bond as having similar properties to an energy, rather than an elastic band. If there's any way the bond can find round, it will.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby eloquent » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:11 pm

But we have to be careful to express clearly that the blade does not cut the bond. It just places itself in the bond's path so that the flow of energy is interrupted and collapses. More like wrapping a mobile phone in aluminium foil than chopping a phone cable with an axe (crappy analogy, I know, but it'll have to do).
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Botanic 2004 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:08 pm

eloquent is expressing exactly wht i'm getting at in words i could not think up :oops:
Da Botmeister ist here. thank Darragh for the name Botmeister
Imageyou are currently connected to Botonia Internet Service (BIS)
Image= simeon.smith@btopenworld.com
if you ever read this go to the secret website http://www.zarb.northsurrey.org.uk

Simeon Smith = My real name belive it or not. :killingme: :drink: mmm!
Botanic 2004
BANNED

Postby mtbanger » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:51 pm

I did tell you all that i am mostly wrong.

But when eloquent said

'I think the way the guilotine severs a connection is that it places itself entirely in the way of whatever energy flows between them, whereas the knife, being much smaller, couldn't do this.'

i agree with your statement, but wouldn't the knife as least snag the connection?

By the way, on a different note, Dante said:
'Think- if the guillotine was sharper than the SK, then it could cut through the barriers of the universe too.'

The reason that the guillotine cannot cut through to another world is because there is no one there using negative capability to find the snags in the air.
AND HOW!
mtbanger
Grazer

Postby Kahlan » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:34 pm

the knife is described to have two different sides, wich have different uses.. maybe the guilotine lacks the one special side that can cut throgh worlds.....? :)
Well after all, we'll lie another day
And through it all, we'll find some other way
Kahlan
Witch

Postby mtbanger » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:37 pm

Kahlan Wrote:
'the knife is described to have two different sides, wich have different uses.. maybe the guilotine lacks the one special side that can cut throgh worlds.....? :)'

Good point. Sounds like Mrs Coulter isn't that clever afterall! :lol:
AND HOW!
mtbanger
Grazer

Postby Ixia » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:11 am

mtbanger wrote:i agree with your statement, but wouldn't the knife as least snag the connection?

Why? The energy of the connection between Lyra and Pan would 'flow' around anything that was in its way, whether it was another person, or object, or even a really sharp knife.

Kahlan wrote:the knife is described to have two different sides, wich have different uses.. maybe the guilotine lacks the one special side that can cut throgh worlds.....? :)

Or it simply lacks a wielder. Remember Will was doing the cutting with his mind too, it was not just the knife.

Mod: Double post deleted
"She was what writers called an expositional, but I'd never be as impolite to say so to her face."
Thursday Next, The Jurisfiction Chronicles.
Ixia
Zalif

Postby HDM Head 24-7 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:53 am

The knife only cuts OBJECTS on one side . the knife might not have been in the right direction
Into this wild abyss, The womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire, But all these in their pregnant causes mixed Confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, Unless the almighty maker them ordain His dark materials to create more worlds, Into this wild abyss the wary fiend Stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, Pondering his voyage...John Milton-Paradise Lost-Book 2
HDM Head 24-7
Gallivespian Spy

Yahoo Messenger: bigforyou85
AOL: svq2

Postby Lance » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:22 am

Do you think the world-entering edge of the Knife is supersharp too? Because if it wasn't, it would be rather inconvenient to use for fighting, wouldn't it? Considering that Will might have to keep checking to make sure he's attacking with the supersharp side.

Anyway, the world-entering edge is made of the same metal as the Silver Guillotine right? Maybe it's like Ixia said, the Guillotine lacks a mind behind it.
It does not do, to dwell on dreams alone, and forget to live.
-Albus Dumbledore
Lance
Zalif

Postby lunney » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:16 pm

both sides are extra sharp. i know this because the book says wills mind travels down to the knife to atom wide edge to cut a window.
lunney
Grazer

Postby JoefromOxford » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:30 pm

It's all about Will's intention when he cuts, surely the knife responds to that? It's fairly pointless to argue about the physics of the thing, that's hardly the point at all.
The world was all before them, where to choose
Their place of rest, and providence their guide:
They hand in hand with wandering steps and slow
Through Eden took their solitary way
Paradise Lost, Book XII
JoefromOxford
Grazer

Postby Max » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:29 am

JoefromOxford wrote:It's fairly pointless to argue about the physics of the thing, that's hardly the point at all.

Except that the Knife may well be a metaphor for employing advanced technology to malign or dangerous ends.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Joss » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:21 am

That is a little minor plot hole actually... well... not even a minor hole... more of a small ripple in the flow of the story...

When the knife is introduced, one edge is said to be very sharp, the other to have the special power. I don't doubt both edges are super sharp.

The problem comes with Will's intention flowing to the TIP of the knife, and the tip being the most important part in the breaking/fixing of the knife. After the magic-world-slicing-edge is introduced... it never does anything again. It's always the TIP that snags a world, Will's awareness travelling into the single atom at the very end... not down one whole side.

And the tip of the knife is on neither edge... cuz it's the tip.

Ah, I have no idea, it's a fantasy book... a wizard probably did it...
Joss
Grazer

AOL: devilgabrielx

Postby Ferdinand » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:41 pm

Well what I found kind of annoying was that, no matter how sharp your knife is, you cant plunge it into stone, the stone needs to be able to move out of the way of the knife but to do that you would need enormous strength. Will may have the sharpest edge in the world but he's not strong enough to pry open rock, not with a short little knife at least.

Also, I was wondering why the ghosts weren't being cut as Will walked through them, if it can cut through the veil of a dimension, couldn't in cut throuhg a spectral being like an angel, yes, so why not the souls of the dead as well?

I don't think the bond between a person and their daemon can be cut as easily as slicing something, its probably like trying to cut water, unless you block off all of it, some will get through and keep the current going, wich is why the little knife couldn't sever the connection whereas a huge Guillotine could.
I've got your nose Mr. Anderson, and I'm going to keep it.
Ferdinand
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife