The Republic of Heaven

Will Halfhand

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Will Halfhand

Postby Melancholy Man » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:38 pm

It's always struck me as incomplete that Giacomo should recognize Will provenance by the loss of two fingers with further explanation; but also strangely familar.

I've a half-memory of a Buddhist or Hindu tradition in which a saviour should be recognized by just such a mutilation.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Dante » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:21 pm

Does Will actually get his fingers cut off by the knife? It doesn't seem to actually spell it out that he does; but it does mention a pain in his hand during the fight, before they fall away.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby zemarl » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:33 pm

they are very much gone. it gets mentioned that he has lost the two fingers later on, one part is when he meets his father.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby eloquent » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:34 pm

Well, he grabs onto the knife, feels a pain, and looks at the floor to see his fingers curled up there. It doesn't leave too much to the imagination.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Danny Barefoot » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:17 pm

Very Matrix-esque to reference across cultures. Of course we have Frodo and Beren as well.
"The purpose of clarification is not to make things clear. It is to put oneself in the clear."
-Sir Humphrey Appleby

Want to read some fanfiction? Not much HDM, but I try;
http://www.fanfiction.net/~dannybarefoot
Danny Barefoot
Armoured Bear

AOL: duncan@atkinson.uk.com

Postby Raeth » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:51 am

Dante wrote:Does Will actually get his fingers cut off by the knife? It doesn't seem to actually spell it out that he does; but it does mention a pain in his hand during the fight, before they fall away.
It would be a little illogical for them not to be cut off by the knife. I mean you're in combat with someone with a really sharp knife that they're waving around, and then your fingers fall off. Hmm, you think, I'm pretty sure it was that slightly sharp chunk of lead over there.
Raeth
Raeth
Zalif

Postby Dante » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:10 pm

The blade is never mentioned to have touched Will's fingers, so there's no need to be so ~*iguana*~ sarcastic. And there's the fact that the missing fingers are the badge of the bearer, which could be some kind of magical property of the knife. It would be a little coincidental if in every fight between bearers they lost the same two fingers.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Will » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:48 pm

Dante wrote:It would be a little coincidental if in every fight between bearers they lost the same two fingers.

That's the point.

I can't see how anyone can honestly argue that it wasn't the knife that cut Will's fingers off..
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Enitharmon » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:52 pm

Will wrote:I can't see how anyone can honestly argue that it wasn't the knife that cut Will's fingers off..

No - but it's true that nowhere does it say that Will's fingers came into contact with the knife blade. I know this because it puzzled me and I read and re-read the passage to find out when it happened.

The real clue doesn't come until the next book, when Iorek is discussing the knife with Will. Iorek asks Will if he can see the edge, and he can't. The edge is so fine that the edge of the blade isn't visible.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Laura » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:51 pm

So Will didn't realize his hand had come into contact with the edge because he couldn't see it or feel it! That is clever, I've never thought of the fight that way before.

Although Will wrapped his hand in rope to protect it--wouldn't the knife hitting the rope have caused some friction?--or did the knife just slice through everything like butter. :shock: Its a wonder Will didn't lose more fingers!

To Raeth--your avatar! Is that the 'blue pages' guy from the first Myst game? If it is, then...nifty!
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Danny Barefoot » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:17 pm

Yes, a wonder, but such is fate...very well-read, Enitharmon.
"The purpose of clarification is not to make things clear. It is to put oneself in the clear."
-Sir Humphrey Appleby

Danny Barefoot
Armoured Bear

Postby Max » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:48 pm

Laura wrote:Although Will wrapped his hand in rope to protect it

That has always annoyed me - it's like a contrived rhyme - Pullman includes the thing about Will wrapping the rope around his hand to protect it against the knife - which doesn't seem like a very prudent course of action, circumstances considered - just to facilitate the dramatic effect of his fingers falling away when he removes the rope after the fight.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Danny Barefoot » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:01 pm

If you didn't know that the knife could cut through anything, rope wouldn't seem a bad protection. And it's the first thing to hand.
-Sir Humphrey Appleby

Danny Barefoot
Armoured Bear

Postby Max » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 pm

I thought somebody would say that, but not many people would pick up a rope and start wrapping it around their hand while someone with a knife was coming at them on the offchance that they'd be able to block with it - least of all our Will - basically, it is contrived. Contrivances piss me off lots.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Danny Barefoot » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:16 pm

I think it's something Will would've done. He had a little time, and thought of something rather than nothing to do, even if the use might be quite low.
-Sir Humphrey Appleby

Danny Barefoot
Armoured Bear

Postby Dante » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:30 pm

Will's supposed to be a fighting expert, remember. And it's true, it would be a good defence against a normal knife.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Max » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:37 pm

I don't think any of the fights he'd been in had involved knives, somehow. It is contrived, whatever excuses you make for it.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Danny Barefoot » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:37 pm

It might be a bit contrived, but with some justification. Thinking of things like this is a bit Bondian of Will, I must admit.
-Sir Humphrey Appleby

Danny Barefoot
Armoured Bear

Postby Dante » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:41 pm

I'd say Will's a very resourceful guy. For instance, the way he handled the bear raid on that village.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:34 pm

He's one tough cookie.
I think that Will is in fact very clever. You see this perhaps towards the end of TAS when Mary treats him like an adult, but most notably when she discusses pretty advanced evolution theorems with Will. Most 12 year olds don't/wouldn't care why there were a bunch of animals on wheels.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife