The Republic of Heaven

Lyra's dream

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

Lyra's dream

Postby daemons-master » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:47 am

In the subtle knife when the angels come they are watching lyra & will it says 'lyra would remember it as a dream'. Does she ever remember it as a dream or have i missed something in the books? :?:
If you can't do something straight away then it's not worth doing
daemons-master
Zalif

Location: Somewhere in the universe, in a galaxy, on a planet called.....Earth

Postby zemarl » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:21 pm

i don't remember that part *rereads subtle knife*

maybe it's a reference to something that got cut out from TAS
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby daemons-master » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:42 pm

it's on page 288 (english version)
daemons-master
Zalif

Postby Crazy Bear Mc.Gubbins » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:44 pm

I imagine the implication there would be that once she awoke the next morning she did remember being watched, but dismissed it as a dream...not that she had a dream sometime in the future about it happening.
Andrew Marr is one of many public figures somewhat bizarrely alleged by conspiracy theorist David Icke to be a shape-shifting reptilian.

-Wikipedia ftw.
Crazy Bear Mc.Gubbins
Witch

Postby Dante » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:49 pm

Presumably, she did remember it as a dream, but it was just never mentioned again.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Re: Lyra's dream

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:04 pm

daemons-master wrote:In the subtle knife when the angels come they are watching lyra & will it says 'lyra would remember it as a dream'. Does she ever remember it as a dream or have i missed something in the books? :?:

Presumably Lyra will remember it as a dream in a future which is not written about. The narrator of HDM is sometimes omniscient and can see into the future - there are a couple of remarks like the one in NL where we are told that one day Lyra will know more about Dust than anybody else in her world (which hasn't happened by the end of TAS, which is one reason why I and others have postulated in our fanfics that grown-up Lyra will be a physicist.) Also in TAS when we are told that Will will remember certain things when he's an old man.
Last edited by Enitharmon on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Ian » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:09 pm

So it's nice to know that neither will be struck by a bus tomorrow. I think Enitharmon hits it on the spot. Just because the narrative says something doesn't mean it actually happens (which is quite annoying when you think about it like that). On the other hand, it's also these little hints that keep us all on our toes and thinking about the story afterwards.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby clarion » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:33 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
daemons-master wrote:In the subtle knife when the angels come they are watching lyra & will it says 'lyra would remember it as a dream'. Does she ever remember it as a dream or have i missed something in the books? :?:

Presumably Lyra will remember it as a ream in a future which is not written about. The narrator of HDM is sometimes omniscient and can see into the future - there are a couple of remarks like the one in NL where we are told that one day Lyra will know more about Dust than anybody else in her world (which hasn't happened by the end of TAS, which is one reason why I and others have postulated in our fanfics that grown-up Lyra will be a physicist.) Also in TAS when we are told that Will will remember certain things when he's an old man.

Exactly. I loves those little parts. Like when Lyra and Will are talking about the differences between their worlds at the cafe in Cittagazze (sp?). They both said "ambar" at the same time (or some word like that: anbaric, amber). The narrator said that they would later remember the face that the other was making at that moment.

Those little bits are what made me suspect that they would fall in love and end up separated by the end.
Those pigs are going through hell.
And my tastebuds are going to heaven!
clarion
Angel

AOL: busalooey

Postby daemons-master » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:04 pm

Enitharmon wrote: There are a couple of remarks like the one in NL where we are told that one day Lyra will know more about Dust than anybody else in her world

i think she'll know more about Dust when she learns to read the Alethiometer again
daemons-master
Zalif

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:32 pm

daemons-master wrote:
Enitharmon wrote: There are a couple of remarks like the one in NL where we are told that one day Lyra will know more about Dust than anybody else in her world

i think she'll know more about Dust when she learns to read the Alethiometer again

Yeah. I'm guessing, that as she is told that she will be a better and deeper reader of the alethiometer after her lifetime of work, that when she finds out more about dust, she will be able to interpret and understand it better too.

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby pjmaster » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:58 pm

but that would be if she stuck with it and lyra always seemed a bit impatient while i was reading the books.
pjmaster
Zalif

Postby Jamie » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:40 pm

pjmaster wrote:but that would be if she stuck with it and lyra always seemed a bit impatient while i was reading the books.

I think she would find patience if it meant she'd find out more about Dust as that after all does interest her more than anything else

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby pjmaster » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:56 pm

yeh and also if she learnt how to use the alethiometer, she might be able to find a way to contact Will or maybe meet him again, so that would help her to learn how to read it again
pjmaster
Zalif

Postby Kathleen » Tue May 03, 2005 6:15 am

Oh yeah I never thought of that. Lyra couls ask the Alethiometer about building the republic of heaven and maybe seeing Will again.
Kathleen
Witch

Postby Peter » Wed May 04, 2005 11:49 am

Kathleen wrote:Oh yeah I never thought of that. Lyra couls ask the Alethiometer about building the republic of heaven

Yes, very likely. That's become her life's work.
Kathleen wrote:and maybe seeing Will again.

No, except possibly in a moment of weakness. What's done is done, what's over is over, the past is passed, time to build the future.
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Ian » Wed May 04, 2005 6:48 pm

Ceres wrote:
Kathleen wrote:Oh yeah I never thought of that. Lyra couls ask the Alethiometer about building the republic of heaven

Yes, very likely. That's become her life's work.
Kathleen wrote:and maybe seeing Will again.

No, except possibly in a moment of weakness. What's done is done, what's over is over, the past is passed, time to build the future.

We must build the Republic of Heaven in our world, because for us there is no where else.

I'm liking the new avatar Ceres.

Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Taroh » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:36 pm

i dont think that they ever got to that in the book, but most likely in the future she will remember it as a dream, but no i dont think they say in the book
Taroh
Armoured Bear

AOL: GHfanatic89

Postby Alethioperson » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:48 pm

what dream? I think ive missed sumthing......
Alethioperson = Truthful Person

Quote: "When The Devil Reminds You Of Your Past, Remind Him Of His Future"
Alethioperson
BANNED

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife