The Republic of Heaven

using the knife in other worlds + specters

Discuss the second book of the trilogy

using the knife in other worlds + specters

Postby Chiz » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:16 am

ok in the book it says when you use the knife it creates a specter and thats why the city of Cittagazze was infested with them but then why when Will use's the knife in other worlds his own for example why does it not create specters in that world:?:
Chiz
Grazer

Postby jessia » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:20 am

it likely did create specters in those worlds, but there weren't in such high concentrations (ie. infestation) as those of cittigazze, where the knife was created and most-used (described as a crossroad).

remember that will likens the behaviour of a spectre victim to that of his mother's and supposes that there may be spectres in other worlds after all.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Blackdragon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:54 am

I actually just barely read the HP series and I have just relized that spectres and dementors are alike in many ways. That was a little of the topic but I didn't want to start a seperate topic because when I do, a certain someone always deletes them.
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Jez » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:01 pm

I think Jess is right and spectres did turn up in other worlds, but if you remember, at the end of The Amber Spyglass, Xaphania tells Will and Lyra that the angels will take care of the spectres. I guess this means that the angels could get rid of them, but are angels vulnerable to spectres or not? Angels are supposed to be formed of Dust, after all, and that's what the spectres feed on.

And on the subject of spectres and dementors, I actually read a fan-fic that was a weird hybrid of HP and HDM - and spectres and dementors were the same in that. Luna also turned out to be Lyra's daughter or something. Very strange.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Ian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:21 pm

I always took the opinion that the angels were higher than anything else (mostly because they were formed from Dust or something like that), and although spectres fed on that, the angels had some unearthly way of stopping them from doing it.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Taroh » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:28 pm

most likely other specters were created, they just probably werent visible to them or were just not brought up.
Taroh
Armoured Bear

AOL: GHfanatic89

Postby Ripper » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:21 pm

jessia wrote:remember that will likens the behaviour of a spectre victim to that of his mother's and supposes that there may be spectres in other worlds after all.

I never understood that link; why would no other adults see them?
I think it's probably more of a metaphor for the troubles in her mind.
Ripper
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:00 pm

Ripper wrote:
jessia wrote:remember that will likens the behaviour of a spectre victim to that of his mother's and supposes that there may be spectres in other worlds after all.

Bit of both I should think...

She certainly was disturbed, and I don't personally believe that it was because of spectres. However, I do wonder if the spectres, like dæmons, can only be seen by the people of certain worlds. Perhaps they can be seen in the same way as Mary learnt to see her own dæmon. The whole thing is really very hazy to be honest...

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Ripper » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:40 pm

Dæmon wrote:
Ripper wrote:

Bit of both I should think...

She certainly was disturbed, and I don't personally believe that it was because of spectres. However, I do wonder if the spectres, like dæmons, can only be seen by the people of certain worlds. Perhaps they can be seen in the same way as Mary learnt to see her own dæmon. The whole thing is really very hazy to be honest...

Possilbly, like Jopari seeing his daemon once he was in Lyra's world. Maybe that ability had an effect on Will's mother.
Ripper
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Soapy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:49 pm

Ripper wrote:

Rosie offers a good explanation
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:19 pm

I have said this in several other places, but that is a really great fanfic, and actually does cover a lot of the plot gaps. Read it.

Ian
The Frog Prince

Return to “%s” The Subtle Knife